AR-15's

I only own one. For myself I like the ergonomics. To me they're more comfortable to handle and shoot than a traditional bolt gun. Now that there are better chamberings available, it's more viable as a hunting platform. On top of all of that they're good for keeping the king of England out of your face.

Oh I dont know, fun, easy to shoot, feels good in your hands, very accurate....the list goes on. I would much rather shoot a few hundred rounds a day from an AR vs a bolt gun. I love all guns, but ARs make me all warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe getting paid to carry one for 5 years enamored me to them?

I remember I bought a lower a some years back thinking I might build one. It sat in a drawer for about a year as I pursued other interests and never got around to it. Ultimately I sold it to a friend - that guy has 8, I think. I'm just more into bolt guns, muzzleloaders, and bows.

They don't trip my trigger either personally, and yes pun intended hahah!

For me weapons serve a very specific purpose, and I can't justify the price of an AR along with their use. Doesn't fit in with my lifestyle at all.

Millions of people love them, me personally meh. I've shot a buddies once, but it was the same as shooting my 10/22, just a crap ton more expensive.

Simple, accurate, multiple caliber options, you don't need to be a gunsmith to build one. The AR15 is the perfect predator / varmint / antelope rifle.

They work great for two out of three on your list... I would disagree on antelope...

Unless you're talking about trying to shoot an antelope on the run, which is a fool hearty adventure that too many people partake in... but then I could understand why you'd want to sling lead as fast as possible in hopes of catching up to the goat.

Me too ... but especially loathsome are semi-auto-as-fast-as-you-can-pull-the-trigger joy shooters in the National Forest near where you are trying to peacefully, quietly bow hunt!
This seems to be the #1 reason most guys I see with these weapons have them. They aren't really aiming at anything, just shooting up ammo as fast as they can with no purpose. :(
I'm sure the ammo makers just love them.

Aside from the manbun, it's original chambering is low recoiling and accurate.
Clear jamb..
Ammo (5.56 & 223) is cheap and readily available.
Clear jamb....
They can easily and fairly cheaply be chambered to other cartridges.
Clear jamb...
Easily modified to suit owners preferences.
Clear jamb...
And they'll be helpful in the case of a Boogaloo.
Clear jamb...

What's not to love?

Still clearing the freak'n jamb!!!

Almost every military rifle in US history has gained favor in the civilian market. The stoner design was adopted in 1964. That gives it a lot of time for people to fall in love.
99% of the weapons malfunctions I have seen on the platform have been due to crappy magazines, which many weapons have fallen prey to.
They're easily built and infinitely customizable. You can change calibers with minimal to no tooling.
As far as the wasting ammo argument, ammunition is taxed under the Pittman-Robertson act, which goes toward conservation. So I say let em shoot as much as they want.
There is always the arguement that if the government doesnt want you to have something, you should probably have that something.
I'm starting to ramble now so I'll leave it at that.

After lugging around a M16 for 8 years, I got my itch scratched plenty for that type of rifle. Bolt or lever action rifles in blued steel and walnut has always been more my taste for recreational use. Now days, I'm moving more and more in the opposite direction. Recurve bows and traditional black powder rifles are more my cup of tea now.

They work great for two out of three on your list... I would disagree on antelope...

Unless you're talking about trying to shoot an antelope on the run, which is a fool hearty adventure that too many people partake in... but then I could understand why you'd want to sling lead as fast as possible in hopes of catching up to the goat.

I thought the same until I tried it this year. 3 shots, three kills. Terminal performance on par with my 257 Roberts which is my go to antelope rifle.

Took 2 lopes with mine this year. I'm shooting a 6.5 120 gr gr bullet at 2500 fps. I limit my shots to 300 yds, bullet has 1000 ft lbs of energy at 400 yds. ARs are more than 55 gr .223s these days

Fun to shoot, well balanced, accurate, and compatible with people of all sizes. And having one in the 556/223 makes a great varmint rifle with a good scope.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back