Caribou Gear

April 5 deadline to apply for Colorado

Rocky176

Remember to apply by next Tuesday for Colorado, a limited tag or preference point for elk or deer. I just bit the bullet. My son wants to go back to unit 48. I am building points with 13 so far, I'll never draw with my second or third choice so I'll probably just go to be with him as a pack horse. Good luck to all.

Newbie question... I'm doing an OTC rifle elk hunt in Unit 211. Is it going to cost more if I apply for the draw to gain a pref point (apply to units I'd never draw w/ 0pts) and then just buy the tag OTC? Would I be refunded for the tag after I didn't draw but still get charged the license then I go and buy the OTC tag?

Thanks!

Teej89, just apply for a preference point. It will cost you the price of a cow tag with most being refunded. Codes - For elk ( E P 999 99 P) Deer (DP 999 99 P)

Teej89 If your for sure going otc than the easiest thing to do is apply for a preference point and select otc tag as your refund. You gain a point and get your otc tag. I'm pretty sure this will get you out of the 40 dollar point fee if your not eligible for a free point (had a license last year). Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I couldn't get CO web site to come up. Good luck this year. There's nothing like it.

Last edited:
I'm in and am almost positive I'll draw 3rd season deer.Bought points for elk for me and my son.We will hunt unit 49 archery elk next season.Then all his points are almost used up.He'll be 18 after next season so he can decide if he wants to continue hunting the west with me and buy his own points
good luck to everyone in the draws

I'm in for a 1st rifle season bull tag this year. Usually put in for cow tags to save some cash, but bit the bullet this time.

Im in. 3rd season buck rifle, I should draw with 8 pp. And 3rd season bull rifle, still a couple years out even with 5 pp. Good luck in the draws.

I've put in for preference points for deer and elk. Hoping to hunt Colorado in the next few years, around the telluride area.

Just elk & deer points for me again this year, planing to burn my deer points in 2017.

Dang, these TV obligations are really messing with my plan for these 19 elk points. I suspect it will be a "flip of the coin" just before the deadline hits.

Teej89 If your for sure going otc than the easiest thing to do is apply for a preference point and select otc tag as your refund. You gain a point and get your otc tag. I'm pretty sure this will get you out of the 40 dollar point fee if your not eligible for a free point (had a license last year).

This seems like it would work, but I really don't know. The regs do mention 'drawing a license' as the other way to avoid the fee, but not sure if the refund OTC choice 'counts' for that.

I put in for points first for everything, threw my standard Hail Mary towards moose and sheep and will pick up a 3rd season buck tag 2nd choice and my OTC archery elk license. I'm at 13 resident deer points now, getting pretty close to a few good ones, though I wish I'd not gone this far :)

My best buddy and a friend from back in MN are putting in for 1st rifle tags and that's our fallback if we don't draw anything in NM (season dates are the same). I'm more excited for that than anything I've put in for (excepting any Sheep and Gila elk), it's the one guys first time after elk and my buddy's first time DIY for them.

Cush, sounds like a big waste of Colorado residency x2. Where's the moose, sheep, and mt. Goat "investment" ?

Sheep and Mt goat have never really interested me...will that get me kicked off of HT? :eek: As far as moose...reading through the statistics page, there's hardly even cow tags I can draw anywhere in the near future, the way I'm understanding the stats. So WY is getting my points money and will get my cow moose tag money in the near future. Blasphemy, I know :D I'm already talking with another HTer about an Alaska trip in about 5 or 6 years, so I can look at getting my bull. With the low odds of drawing Colorado before I'm in my late 60's or 70's for a moose tag, I'll look elsewhere to fulfill that need :confused:

Well, I'm cashed in. That big bag of elk points will no longer be a burden after this season. I hope I can find a 5x5 to make it worth this long wait.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back