Appreciation for Good Hunting Partners...

CaddisShack

Had a moment this evening where I was reminded about how special good hunting partners are...

I apologize in advance for the long rant. Need to get it off my chest.

Had a friend (let's name him "Friend X") introduce me to elk hunting 6-7yrs ago. He set me up on a good late season public land spot, and I killed a cow elk on my very first day elk hunting. I continued to rifle hunt with him for a couple of years with success and/or opportunities to harvest every year.

A couple of years went by and I start archery hunting with a different friend (let's name him "Friend Y"). He takes me under his wing for the first few weeks of archery season. He taught me how to scout, how to find elk, and how to call. When he took off to a different part of the state for the last week of the season, I wasn't entirely convinced that I was going to be able to fill my tag without him. He never wavered and remained convinced that I would kill a bull. I consulted my other friend (Friend X) over beers, and he suggested I go up and try the late season spot that he had put me on my first couple of years hunting. I called in and shot my first archery bull (small legal bull) the next day...

This past archery season was an emotional roller coaster. Friend Y called in a monster bull only to watch me whiff on a first pin shot (this will haunt me as long as I hunt). I was a wreck. Friend Y is the type of guy that will do all the calling until everyone's tag is filled...and then he'll fill his. He said all the right things to me and kept things positive. I went back to Denver and shot arrows for 4 days before returning to the woods...determined that I wasn't going to the same mistake twice.

First day back in the woods since missing that bull, I set up on top of a ridge solo. I blow a few cow calls, and before I know it I have a dandy 6x6 at 20yds...and I hit him high without a pass-through. I saw the hit, and I was sure it was fatal. Friend Y is back in Denver with obligations. Friend X is in the area with a friend from Texas, so I call them for help. They arrive an hour later, and we began to track. The blood trail is sparse, and we lose it the timber. Friend X + Texas help me track for 3-4hrs, and then decide that they are going to take off and try to squeeze in an evening hunt (to a spot I recommended to them). I didn't think much of it at the time, since I was focused on trying to find my bull.

Another couple of hours of solo tracking, and I begin losing hope. Friend Y calls to get an update, hears the frustration in my voice, drops everything he's doing and drives 2hrs (each way) for the sole purpose to help me track. We scour the area as best as we can without blood...tried a grid search ...everything...still no bull. We give up at about 11pm. I go back to camp to meet up with Friend X + Texas. Friend Y drives back home in the middle of the night to an unhappy wife.

Conversation the next day with Friend X+Texas takes a weird turn as they start pressuring me to give up one of Friend Y's spots. I end up getting guilt tripped by Friend X to put Texas on a bull in return for him giving me the spot where I killed my first elk. I give Texas some intel on an area where he can put in some work and do some blind calling to try and locate an animal, but tell him that I can't give up exact spots (this is on top of the spot I recommended to him above and the spot where he helped track my bull). I'm still torn up about the bull and now frustrated about the situation I found myself in, and I pack up and leave the mountains.

A few days later, I followed the birds (and a bear) to my now spoiled bull. It was maybe 400-500yds away in the thick timber...still no blood trail. I was sick to my stomach. A few more guys in the grid search and maybe we find him. Maybe if I didn't get frustrated and leave, I would have found him the next day. So many valuable lessons learned...

Fast forward to today...I send an email to Friend X asking to grab a beer and talk some new spots (like we do every year). I get a response back saying that because of my unwillingness to share spots with Texas that it's probably best for us to part ways. I'm a little hurt. He's usually a very reasonable guy. But I guess he's right...it's certainly for the best.

/rant over

You learn really quickly who your true friends are in these situations. I've been hunting for 20+ years now...friends have come and gone...but this is my first experience like this. May this serve as a reminder to tell your true hunting buddies how much you appreciate them. I'm blessed to have a friend like Friend Y.

I would think that the fact that you didn't give up your friends hunting spots should have shown friend X what kind of loyal friend you are. The last thing I want in a hunting partner is someone who tells everyone else my hunting spots. I would think friend X would appreciate the fact that he could probably trust you with his areas as well and keep you on his list of trusted hunting partners. Sound like it is his loss.

Good folks to share hunts with can be tough to find. If X feels that way, I agree it is probably best to go separate ways.

I've hunted with a couple of people who had a set of ethics and values around hunting that were somewhat different from mine. I found that I didn't really enjoy the outings, because I felt stressed and pressured towards doing things I didn't agree with. That's not very fun. Unfortunate if it ends the friendship, but in the long run I think you will find that you are glad you stuck to your values.

A relationship with a hunting partner often isn't just a run-of-the-mill friendship. Aside from trusting them to not give away good spots, this is someone you might share some really difficult times with, might get caught in life-or-death situations with, might need to be a sounding board when trying to make tough ethical decisions, not to mention sharing the highs and helping you through the lows that come with hunting. In a lot of ways, its more similar to finding a spouse than finding a friend!

Definitely stick with what you're doing. Those types of things happen a lot especially here in MS where there is a lot hunters squeezed into small areas. Hope you have a great year hunting big man.

For a guy to drop everything (Friend Y) and come help you when you needed it. I wouldn't have given up his spots either. I appreciate the value in the people who are willing to help when needed and always willing to be there. I wouldn't sweat it too much, move on and keep hunting. I respect the fact that you wouldn't give up a spot because he "helped you kill your first bull". If he truly was your friend it shouldn't be about score keeping, it should be helping when needed and being there. Good people are hard to find and it looks like you just dropped the weakest link.

Good folks to share hunts with can be tough to find. If X feels that way, I agree it is probably best to go separate ways.

I agree. "Friend X" did you a favor in that at least he was honest enough to admit to you that his selfish desires did not align with your loyalty to Friend Y.

I agree. "Friend X" did you a favor in that at least he was honest enough to admit to you that his selfish desires did not align with your loyalty to Friend Y.
After Henry and yourself shot Hank and I some birds I'll be sure to have a stern talk with him about not flapping his gums where we were. :D

After Henry and yourself shot Hank and I some birds I'll be sure to have a stern talk with him about not flapping his gums where we were. :D

LOL. Dogs are the ultimate secret keepers.

Well look at it this way...You can now give up friend X's spots to other people to piss X off :)

After 40 years of hard core big game hunting this is one of the main reasons I don't mess a whole lot with big game hunting much anymore. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I don't miss the rock and a hard spot it puts a guy between. So I'm more than content to keep whacking and stacking coyotes and landing fish that I can put right back in the water. Do I miss the thrill of seeing antlers and out smarting big game...I sure do. Do I miss losing friendships over big game hunting? Nope not in the least. In the end I finally decided I'd rather have a few good close friends, than worrying about whether my toes or the toes of one of my friends were getting stepped on over hunting. Just my solution, won't work for everyone.

I've hunted with a couple of people who had a set of ethics and values around hunting that were somewhat different from mine. I found that I didn't really enjoy the outings, because I felt stressed and pressured towards doing things I didn't agree with. That's not very fun.

This is how I often feel as a new hunter. End up turning down a lot of opportunity because it just isn't fun to feel conflicted the whole hunt. Makes those guys that you do enjoy hunting with that much better. Also makes me protective of those guys and any info they give me. If friend X can't understand that it isn't your spot, probably for the best. Sound like you've got a great alternative with friend Y.

I've got 1 guy i elk and deer hunt with. He has access these spots to hunt because of me and respects the hell out of that. Our views on how a hunt should go generally align fairly well, neither of us is afraid of a few rough miles to get on an animal, mental toughness aligns, and failure is an not an option to either of us. (it has happened once though)

He's really the only hunting partner I've ever had and I dont see that changing anytime soon..

Last edited:
I've found that truly good friends are hard to find. (No secret there, as most everyone that cares about such things already knows.)

I've also known some good guys over the years whose attitudes and integrity have gone down hill, as their egos grew...it's a shame, because none of those guys are people I'd want to hang with or hunt with any more.

Call me old fashioned...but I was taught by my mentor that the golden rules of hunting are: respect, work as hard for your partner as you would for yourself and never, ever mooch spots. (Don’t get me wrong if you discuss, pick out and scout spots together – that’s one thing…but I’d never flat out just ask a hunting friend for a spot he’d recommend.)

I feel that putting in the work and finding my own places not only gives me a greater sense of reward, but it also helps keep good friendships intact. But that should be a reciprocal thing, and if one friend is not offering the same in return or can’t understand respect for his buddy’s spots…then in my book, it ain’t working. You mentioned that you have a history with friend X…and as crappy as it sounds, in my opinion, his shelf life may be up.

Good luck with working it...

Agree with the sentiment here. It's difficult because I put a lot of effort into my relationships with others. This situation caught me by surprise. Although when I discussed this with Friend Y, he mentioned that I should have read into it a little more when they abandoned the tracking job to go hunt. In hindsight, I agree.

We only have so much emotional energy to give to others. One of the hard parts of being an adult is deciding when to cut bait and focus that energy on the people that deserve it.

Funny you brought this topic up last week CaddisShack... I found myself thinking about this thread over the weekend.

The reason being (and I'll just give you the quick condensed version) that I was approached by a hunting acquaintance to, "fix a couple of out of state extended family members" of his up with some good bird hunting spots...

It was kind of disappointing as I had been investing some time with this guy because he seemed like he had the potential to become a good hunting partner (he is new to hunting). I'll most likely still pursue hunting with him; I've always believed in second chances and I'm hoping this request was just borne out of not realizing that he may have been overstepping a little with that request. The down side now is that there is that 'little seed of doubt ' in my mind that I need to be careful with where I take him and what areas I introduce him to.

These type of situations is why I only have 1 good friend I hunt with. I killed my first doe at a spot that he showed me. I helped him drag out 2 deer before I finally shot one that he had to help me with. I have never let anyone else know where "our" spot is. Unfortunately, we have moved apart a little bit during the last couple of years. I physically moved and his son is getting older so he has less time to hunt. But I still invite him knowing that his probability of going is low. We have hunted together many times and I look forward to the day that we can get the stars to align and double on something. This year I invited him turkey hunting at a private land spot knowing that last year I shot one there within an hour of shooting light, and was willing to give him the first shot since he has not shot a bird but due to his son's schedule he wasn't able to come out. You can't count on him to make a definitive decision on whether he is going or not more than a few days ahead of time but I know this and can plan the hunts accordingly.

Brother, nephew and I have hunted together for 20+ and have been lucky enough to not have run into this situation other than having to send a couple of hunters packing that we had invited from time to time. Luckily, we didn't take them to one of the honey holes first.

I agree it is very difficult to find other hunters that share the same ideals. My problem is actually finding people that want to go hunting more than once or twice a year. It doesn't bother me to go by myself, but I do enjoy hunting with people from time to time. My wife is the best hunting partner I have ever had, but she doesn't have the same drive as I do and I don't expect her to. I enjoy all the time spent with my hunting friends, but I would like to meet somebody that shares the similar passion as I do.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back