Appreciation for Good Hunting Partners...

I agree it is very difficult to find other hunters that share the same ideals. My problem is actually finding people that want to go hunting more than once or twice a year. It doesn't bother me to go by myself, but I do enjoy hunting with people from time to time. My wife is the best hunting partner I have ever had, but she doesn't have the same drive as I do and I don't expect her to. I enjoy all the time spent with my hunting friends, but I would like to meet somebody that shares the similar passion as I do.
This is what I run into also. I think maybe I need about 10 people to hunt different things with that way if they only go once or twice a year I can still find someone to go with half the time.

Unfortunately stuff like this is what has caused me to hunt solo more often than not.

I got sick of getting burned even by people I thought I could trust without reservation.

Live and learn I guess.

Unfortunately stuff like this is what has caused me to hunt solo more often than not.

I got sick of getting burned even by people I thought I could trust without reservation.

Live and learn I guess.

This is exactly where I'm at. I've been burned enough that I just stopped taking people regardless of how trustworthy I think they are.

It sucks, because I don't mind sharing my spots as long as people respect that they're mine.

Unfortunately it seems that the vast majority of people see public land as a free-for-all.

I have mostly hunted with family. I really never considered that it was a wrong to reveal a spot. But, I only hunted with family. You guys take are eye-opening. I never would have thought it wrong to show someone a good spot. I guess I was lucky it did not happen.

I only hunt with hunters I am comfortable with it.

Unfortunately it seems that the vast majority of people see public land as a free-for-all.

Scratchin' My Head (not derisively)

Are there really that many super secret public hunting caches....or are they simply hard to get to? I'm guessing someone who can boot leather to spots like yourself, greenhorn, and some of the other beast mode grinders consider it fair play.

Scratchin' My Head (not derisively)

Are there really that many super secret public hunting caches....or are they simply hard to get to? I'm guessing someone who can boot leather to spots like yourself, greenhorn, and some of the other beast mode grinders consider it fair play.

It takes a LOT of time and scouting to turn up the places that consistently produce animals. Guys that do well year after year do it because they worked for it.

When someone takes advantage of all of that work you've put in, it stings, and leaves a bad taste.

You're definitely not alone in your thoughts though, which is why so many conflicts happen.

I can count on one hand folks that I have hunted with - and that includes my brother and Dad. Hunt time is too short to have to deal with any baggage and I refuse to deal with it. I have no issues going alone.

Sorry for everyone's experiences above and that I don't have any advice to add, other than avoid it all together.

It takes a LOT of time and scouting to turn up the places that consistently produce animals. Guys that do well year after year do it because they worked for it.

When someone takes advantage of all of that work you've put in, it stings, and leaves a bad taste.

You're definitely not alone in your thoughts though, which is why so many conflicts happen.

I think this is especially noticeable to the new hunter.

I remember when I started hunting I could not for the life of me kill an elk. It took 4 years of hard hunting. I know this is somewhat synonymous with what BigFin and others have described as their initial hunting experience. I really noticed it because I had friends who were slaying elk every year. The difference between them and me? They had dads that took them elk hunting. My dad was a deer hunter and never really pursued elk. I shot my first elk in a spot that one of my friends' fathers was kind enough to show me. You can read how-to guides all you want, but some of those things that seem so obvious to seasoned hunters are really difficult to figure out for new hunters. The truth is the spot I killed that elk is no secret, but if I only hunted there every year I would probably fill my elk tag annually.

What's interesting is that some hunters treat hunting locations as secret achievements, largely because of the work it took to find them, or the appreciation they have for being shown them. On the other hand I know plenty of successful hunters who will tell you exactly where they killed their elk every year - it's no big deal to them because they don't hunt isolated "spots". They just hunt the country till they find an elk.

Listening to Randy's podcasts and others testimonials on HuntTalk regarding the late season hidey holes that big bulls go to year in and year out - a concept that is fairly new to me - has heightened my understanding of the "secret spot".

For the most part I hunt with my brother and my son. That way there is no worry about a casual friend giving away our hunting spots. We found our hunting areas through lots of trial and error, boots on the ground, days and days behind the binos. We finally found an area that looks like hell and very few peple venture into. When you find a good productive place you keep it secret except for your closest like minded friends.
Cutting ties with the friend pressuring you for your spot is a good call, he is a user.

NHY, I'll try to explain in a little more detail why I don't take many people to "my" public land spots.

Its not just the particular mountain range, drainage, etc. that makes a good hunting spot...its the "spot" on the spot and how you hunt it.

I can tell people the particular drainages I hunt, hell, I could give them a map. Its not just the particular piece of public land that is important to me, its HOW to hunt that particular area correctly that makes the spot. That is the time investment, the trial and error, the keeping track of local winds, finding the best glassing areas, bedding areas, how animals respond to pressure, where they go when pushed, and the list goes on and on. To really understand the animal behavior in a public land spot, you have invested a lot of effort, time, and money.

I have literally had a couple guys I showed some of "my" public land areas, follow my boot tracks in the snow a couple days later when I told them to hunt on their own.

The how to hunt an area is IMO, more important than the area itself. Its also the most time consuming as many of my best spots were simply found from spending time, trial and error, and lots of hard work.

What frustrates the chit out of me, is when you're good enough to show someone a spot and show them how you learned to hunt it...rather than branch out and apply that to a their spot, or another area they find...they just continue to take advantage of the spot you showed them. They will hunt your spot, hunting it exactly the way they did when you first showed it to them.

That's why I quit showing people my spots, I'll share information all day long on the how...but they can find the "where" on their own.

Let them invest the time, money, and effort on the where.

That's why people are territorial on their public hunting areas.

I second the notion that it's just as hard (if not harder) to find a good hunting partner than a spouse. I have tried many hunting partners on for size, and have yet to find one that fits all my hunting endeavors. Some are good chukar partners, others archery elk, and other duck. Some are good for backpack hunts, some are good for out-of-state vs afterwork. I find that it's best to try them out and figure out how to best utilize them. My chukar partner would be a horrible waterfowl partner. And the same for the guys I hunt with after work vs the ones I take out-of-state on backpack hunts. Doesn't mean we're not still partners we just don't do everything together.

I don't think most people have the expectation that "their" secret public land spot isn't hunted by any other person. If someone finds the same spot through their own hard work and dedication, it's just as much "their" spot as "mine".

However, in my experience, you have to assume that any spot you share with someone will also be shared with their friends, family, coworkers and acquaintances. You also have to assume that other people who don't really have any personal investment in that spot won't treat it the same way you do. We shared an upland bird spot with a friend once. It was in a region that doesn't have a lot of great bird hunting, and it took a lot of time, and trial and error to find. This person proceeded to hunt the crap out of it, and take a multitude of others out there over the next two seasons. They then had the gall to complain about how the spot had gone to hell and there weren't any birds there anymore, and ask for a new spot! Lesson learned the hard way.

I have no problem sharing general areas where there are animals and one can have a successful hunt. I will take people out to places that I have no personal investment in and that I don't care if they return to - those kind of places where it's just common knowledge that there are animals there. But there may be one or two people on the planet that I will share a spot with that I found through a lot of effort and hard work.

I have been extremely lucky with my hunting partner and best friend. We met via another hunting website several years ago while I was on deployment. I was coming back to CO after and was looking for some insight into basic elk knowledge and tactics as I had never been elk hunting and was going to remedy that ASAP. After several emails back and forth he said "Let's meet up face to face and if we get a good vibe you can come into my camp". Being that he is retired Navy (poor guy) and his dad is retired Army we already had a lot in common. We found that we had very similar philosophies on hunting and the outdoors and have been hunting and fishing together ever since. He put me on my first elk and I put him into his first ever walleye. We have taken deer, pronghorn and waterfowl together as well. 2 years ago I had a guy in my unit that I could vouch for that was looking to kill a deer after several years of hunting (without much scouting due to mission requirements). Buddy told me to bring him along no problem and it was great. Everybody got along and we all got deer :) Maybe not typical but I am sure glad my buddy took a chance with his spot/camp with me and allowed me to help my other buddy as well. Sharing folks "firsts" in the wild is a pretty rewarding thing. :)

Those cases get tricky in a hurry. I have one friend that if I am not hunting alone I will go with him every time he asks. We have been friends for 19 years and are pretty much brothers now. We share the same hunting style because we grew up hunting together so much. Most of the time it only takes a few words or hand gestures and we have a game plan for whatever stalk we are about to attempt. It is so rare to find a friendship/ hunting partner like that and its great when you do, it makes the hunting a lot more fun.

On the flip side we have both hunted with other friends that do not share our style or ideas about hunting and how to hunt certain spots and it always ends up in nothing but frustration. We actually sat and discussed it last year at length and determined that we were a damn good duo and talked about our experiences with other friends. Don't get me wrong, these other guys are good friends but to us its not worth it to spend too much time with them in the woods, but shooting bows or having a few beers is acceptable.

SITKA Pre Season Savings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back