Caribou Gear

Application futility

Could someone explain the random draw to me? So 75% of the tags go to the preference point drawing. What ensures there are any tags available in a unit for a random draw? Is it just whatever is left over based off what the high preference point holders had on their applications until all pref point tags are drawn? Seems like a nr could be drawing “dead” for any sought after unit. But maybe I don’t understand the process

Could someone explain the random draw to me? So 75% of the tags go to the preference point drawing. What ensures there are any tags available in a unit for a random draw? Is it just whatever is left over based off what the high preference point holders had on their applications until all pref point tags are drawn?
Has to be at least 4 total tags for a unit before a random tag is issued.

The GF played games with the NR quota's to make sure that there was 1 NR random tag for sheep, I believe 2 for moose. By the spirit of the 90-10 statute there should have to be 40 total tags before a NR random tag is issued.

If I cared, I would ask the Department to revisit the statute and instead make the 75-25 split happen for the entire sheep and moose quota's rather than the required 4 tags.

Seems the department really views statute's as "guidelines" rather than law they have to follow these days...but that may come to a screeching halt.

Has to be at least 4 total tags for a unit before a random tag is issued.

The GF played games with the NR quota's to make sure that there was 1 NR random tag for sheep, I believe 2 for moose. By the spirit of the 90-10 statute there should have to be 40 total tags before a NR random tag is issued.

If I cared, I would ask the Department to revisit the statute and instead make the 75-25 split happen for the entire sheep and moose quota's rather than the required 4 tags.

Seems the department really views statute's as "guidelines" rather than law they have to follow these days...but that may come to a screeching halt.
Thank you that was helpful. Not sure why I didn’t understand that. It’s by unit

Were the Montana sheep tags all ram tags? I know a guy that drew two ram tags but not sure I have heard anyone getting 3.
I know a guy in SW Montana that has drawn 3 ram tags in Montana. They were all great tags at the time of drawing. 1 for Rock creek, 1 for Anaconda, 1 for the breaks. He’s also had two MT moose tags.

By unit for random/preference but over-all for 90-10 resident/NR.

Essentially the department does what they want, and I'm tired of it.
Ok. So in order to comply with 90-10 is where I get confused. I think I understand that there would need to be 4 tags designated for nr for a nr random tag to be available.

Ok. So in order to comply with 90-10 is where I get confused. I think I understand that there would need to be 4 tags designated for nr for a nr random tag to be available.
The Department splits tags first 90-10 R/NR, that's based on total tags, not unit specific. They can massage the total number to do things like issue tags for NR's in units that have less than 10 tags. If they followed 90-10 strictly they wouldn't be able to issue NR tags in any unit with less than 10 tags. So, they base 90-10 on total tags (not disagreeing with that as it gives NR's opportunities for tags in units with less than 10 tags and also in areas where they may not need a guide).

Then, they follow statute that states there has to be at least 4 tags in a unit before they can issue a NR random tag.

So, if you look at this year, IIRC there were 38 total sheep tags in unit 5. They massaged the numbers to give out 4 total sheep tags in that unit, rather than 3 (stayed within the 90-10 TOTAL tags, which was 18) so they issued 4 NR tags so one would go in the random draw.

IMO, they need to revisit the statute regarding random/preference for NR's either make the split 50/50 or make the 75/25 split apply to TOTAL NR sheep tags instead of unit specific.

But, I really don't care enough to make it my problem. I tried at the Task Force to pound that through their skulls, that the change should have been 90-10 and 50-50 between random/preference.

Everybody was smarter than me...the only one on the task force that understood the issue was Sy Gilliland and he asked for the same thing, 90-10, 50-50 split random/preference. We both were shot down...so, at this point, don't care.

So if I applied for a cow moose tag that had 25 tags last year (20 R, 5 NR), will there be any random tags given? This is so confusing...

So if I applied for a cow moose tag that had 25 tags last year (20 R, 5 NR), will there be any random tags given? This is so confusing...
Probably not, because last year was 75-25 split, changed to 90-10 this year. Meaning there wouldn't be 4 NR tags issued most likely.

WGF software allowed you to apply for a non-existent tag. Apologies on behalf of the state of Wyoming for stealing your money. For WGF bad software that would allow you to make this common error. Especially common in years with allocation changes and complex design.

Next year, I recommend you send your moose money instead to Colorado. Had you made this unfortunate mistake in Colorado (or Utah, or Nevada), the software is designed to alert you that the unit you are trying to apply for does not have an NR tag that applies to your app. Even if the quota is not yet firm for current year, the Colorado software warns you that an NR tag is not anticipated and asks "are you sure?".

But NOT WGF, Wyoming took your money anyway. They think you're the dumb one, not them. See posts above where two WY residents thought a person like you couldn't possibly exist. And if you did it exist, well you're just too dumb and don't deserve any sympathy.
Why would you apply for a unit with no available tags?
If you're too dumb to read, then you're probably too dumb to apply, sorry have no sympathy.

Reactions: OMB
I believe you have until 5:00 pm today to modify or withdraw your moose app.
Just spent some time chatting with fish and game folks... I made the mistake of saying I'm a NR...from CA (The worst of all NR's) Kidding of course. He was respectful and helpful. I modified my app... can't wait to grab that random tag!!

Just spent some time chatting with fish and game folks... I made the mistake of saying I'm a NR...from CA (The worst of all NR's) Kidding of course. He was respectful and helpful. I modified my app... can't wait to grab that random tag!!
Who did you get to help you look up and dial the phone number?

Sorry in advance, could not help myself. Just having some fun with you. Glad it all worked out for the best and good luck in the draw.

Who did you get to help you look up and dial the phone number?

Sorry in advance, could not help myself. Just having some fun with you. Glad it all worked out for the best and good luck in the draw.
I deserve it....
But, sometimes I'd rather chat with you guys ;)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back