Application futility

Well in defense of the system, they wouldn’t know if you were hoping to draw in the preference point pass or the random. Imo we are accountable for our stupidity. It’s possible I have been applying the last few years with zero chance of drawing. That’s on me for being a dumbass

WGF software allowed you to apply for a non-existent tag. Apologies on behalf of the state of Wyoming for stealing your money. For WGF bad software that would allow you to make this common error. Especially common in years with allocation changes and complex design.

Next year, I recommend you send your moose money instead to Colorado. Had you made this unfortunate mistake in Colorado (or Utah, or Nevada), the software is designed to alert you that the unit you are trying to apply for does not have an NR tag that applies to your app. Even if the quota is not yet firm for current year, the Colorado software warns you that an NR tag is not anticipated and asks "are you sure?".

But NOT WGF, Wyoming took your money anyway. They think you're the dumb one, not them. See posts above where two WY residents thought a person like you couldn't possibly exist. And if you did it exist, well you're just too dumb and don't deserve any sympathy.
The GF lists the tag numbers available to NR's, not their job to monitor your application.

Its all there, not hard to find.

Well in defense of the system, they wouldn’t know if you were hoping to draw in the preference point pass or the random. Imo we are accountable for our stupidity. It’s possible I have been applying the last few years with zero chance of drawing. That’s on me for being a dumbass
Exactly correct, but Crampy doesn't even know how the draw works. Every applicant runs through the preference draw first. If you're in the top point pool in the preference pass, you get the tag or at least in the running for the preference tag.

The GF lists the tag numbers available to NR's, not their job to monitor your application.

Its all there, not hard to find.
Wasn't there talk at one of the TF meetings about adding some prompts during the app process to warn of this very thing? I seem to remember it getting dropped as a discussion due to so many variables and the fact that so much of the application process happens before final season and numbers are set. I could be misremembering.

The software alert message can explain that issue to the user.

"This Wyoming hunt code had ZERO non-resident random tags available to non-residents (like you) last year. While this hunt code did have X NR preference tags available last year, they were drawn with non-residents with greater than 20 points. If you are applying for Wyoming moose in the hope of the measly two non-resident random tags, your only two choices in 2023 are anticipated to be unit 25, Type 1 and unit 26, Type 1". Proceed? Yes/No.

You're not a dumbass, and neither is @jlong17. You deserve honesty from WGF.

"This Wyoming hunt code had ZERO non-resident random tags available to non-residents (like you) last year. While this hunt code did have X NR preference tags available last year, they were drawn with non-residents with greater than 20 points. If you are applying for Wyoming moose in the hope of the measly two non-resident random tags, your only two choices in 2023 are anticipated to be unit 25, Type 1 and unit 26, Type 1". Proceed? Yes/No.

They are honest...every hunters application is put in the preference draw first, then the random if they aren't drawn there.

There is NO way for the GF to know how many people will apply for each tag and from what point pool the tags will fall.

You need to study up on how the draw actually works before running your blowhole.

If you started buying points for sheep in Wyoming in 1996, you blew it, you would have had a tag easily.
Actually I can’t remember what year I began there. But I know when they began charging $100/point I abandoned about a dozen? I did the numbers back then and there were still like ten years of guys in front of me. And knew that was without some inevitable NR point cheapening scheme. Cat was already out of the bag on those scams.

Here...for example, 2016:

025 4 ANTLERLESS MOOSE 2 1 0 1 0 100.00%

Quota of 2 NR antlerless moose in unit 25, 1 applicant drew in the preference pass with zero preference points.

According to you, the GF should have alerted this person that they were wasting their application...and not allowed them to apply.

Brilliant.

I’ll take the hit on this one. I appreciate the defense, but ultimately I clicked the submit button. It is difficult applying in multiple states as a NR with all the different rules/methods and tag allocations, but it is incumbent upon the hunter to do the research. I will however tell you guys that I am indeed NOT a dumbass… just not smart

I’ll take the hit on this one. I appreciate the defense, but ultimately I clicked the submit button. It is difficult applying in multiple states as a NR with all the different rules/methods and tag allocations, but it is incumbent upon the hunter to do the research. I will however tell you guys that I am indeed NOT a dumbass… just not smart

I’m a certified dumbass. I’m okay with that. I think I understood the draw at one point and had since forgot it. But I thought I knew right up until application day😂😂

They are honest...every hunters application is put in the preference draw first, then the random if they aren't drawn there.

There is NO way for the GF to know how many people will apply for each tag and from what point pool the tags will fall.

You need to study up on how the draw actually works before running your blowhole.

And then there's the E/D/A side and landowners drawing first.

Wasn't there talk at one of the TF meetings about adding some prompts during the app process to warn of this very thing? I seem to remember it getting dropped as a discussion due to so many variables and the fact that so much of the application process happens before final season and numbers are set. I could be misremembering.
Sure, because quotas aren't set yet, WGF would have to use a Colorado-type message and use last year's NR tag data. To warn user, "there were no NR random tags for this code last year, are you sure you still want to apply for this hunt code?"

It is a nuanced correction. Multi-faceted. Does Wyoming G&F want to be seen as an honest player or just as the agency that hoards money for 5 months every year to c*ck block the other state draws?

@jlong17 is too gracious. We deserve honest software and honest dealings from Wyoming.

Sure, because quotas aren't set yet, WGF would have to use a Colorado-type message and use last year's NR tag data. To warn user, "there were no NR random tags for this code last year, are you sure you still want to apply for this hunt code?"

It is a nuanced correction. Multi-faceted. Does Wyoming G&F want to be seen as an honest player or just as the agency that hoards money for 5 months every year to c*ck block the other state draws?

@jlong17 is too gracious. We deserve honest software and honest dealings from Wyoming.
How are they being dishonest? You can look up the draw odds from the previous years to get an idea of which areas do or don't have random tags.

Let’s advocate for smaller govt. but then feel slighted when they don’t produce a position that the persons sole responsibility is to do programming to a system to pop up these alerts on how many units and tag possibilities??? Come on now. What ever came of personal responsibility and accountability.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the argument.

Sadly enough, not promoting them but this is why the tag pimp apps exist.

Let’s advocate for smaller govt. but then feel slighted when they don’t produce a position that the persons sole responsibility is to do programming to a system to pop up these alerts on how many units and tag possibilities??? Come on now. What ever came of personal responsibility and accountability.

Not directed at anyone in particular, just trying to point out the ridiculousness of the argument.

Sadly enough, not promoting them but this is why the tag pimp apps exist.
Gohunt has gone pretty silent on the Wyoming msg draw. I couldn’t find any recent articles or explanations hence why I asked here and @BuzzH lined me out. I think it’s because the opportunity is so minuscule that it brings their services into question but I could be wrong.

Among the continuum of concerns an NR could or should have, this is a bizarre hill to die on.

Gohunt has gone pretty silent on the Wyoming msg draw. I couldn’t find any recent articles or explanations hence why I asked here and @BuzzH lined me out. I think it’s because the opportunity is so minuscule that it brings their services into question but I could be wrong.
I understand that. I wasn’t talking about just GoHunt. There are several companies out there that are more than happy to take peoples money, not just for guidance either, they’ll take full control of your application process. I personally wish they weren’t utilized and didn’t exist. To each their own

I understand that. I wasn’t talking about just GoHunt. There are several companies out there that are more than happy to take peoples money, not just for guidance either, they’ll take full control of your application process. I personally wish they weren’t utilized and didn’t exist. To each their own
this would be such good YouTube content.

“Hey guys welcome back to Perma YouTube, and today, I’m gonna let (insert company) apply for me! What do you think I’m gonna draw this year? Tell me in the comments below and be sure to hit that subscribe button”.

“Ok guys I got my results back and it looks like I drew the Montana unlimited sheep tag! Now it only took me 15 years to draw but I’m super stoked. Be sure to subscribe so you can see the hunt first!”

this would be such good YouTube content.

“Hey guys welcome back to Perma YouTube, and today, I’m gonna let (insert company) apply for me! What do you think I’m gonna draw this year? Tell me in the comments below and be sure to hit that subscribe button”.

“Ok guys I got my results back and it looks like I drew the Montana unlimited sheep tag! Now it only took me 15 years to draw but I’m super stoked. Be sure to subscribe so you can see the hunt first!”
Just got your first sponsor.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back