PEAX Equipment

anyone working on a deer slam??

mixedbag

I'm interested in starting to work on taking all the deer species available in NA.Wondering how many other guys are into this and any pics you have.Doing homework to go after coues,blacktails,sitka blacktail and sika deer(wild in Maryland).Any advise on where to look for a decent diy chance at a blacktail??That will probably be the toughest one for me to get.Looking at Oregon but no idea yet on area of the state to concentrate on.I got some good advise on coues deer for starting my research on them from a guy on this site.If your working on the NA deer slam lets see some pics.I know a guy posted some a year ago and all were trophy sized animals

I'm interested in starting to work on taking all the deer species available in NA.Wondering how many other guys are into this and any pics you have.Doing homework to go after coues,blacktails,sitka blacktail and sika deer(wild in Maryland).Any advise on where to look for a decent diy chance at a blacktail??That will probably be the toughest one for me to get.Looking at Oregon but no idea yet on area of the state to concentrate on.I got some good advise on coues deer for starting my research on them from a guy on this site.If your working on the NA deer slam lets see some pics.I know a guy posted some a year ago and all were trophy sized animals

Trinity alps in Northern California. You will probably have to purchase an auction tag since its hard to draw here as a non resident but you would probably spend that much over time for a good blacky tag in Oregon. Might be some cheaper options around but would be hard to beat a DIY blacky hunt in the alps.

If your looking for one to make book your best bet would be cali or southern oregon. Probably will be the toughest deer to find one of trophy potential and will take you several times if done on public land and OTC.

If you are interested in hunting a true blacktail with a muzzle loader I could help you out here on the Oregon coast. Rifle is OK but you would want to plan on 2014 when the season will close on Nov 7th. 2013 it closes on Nov 1 and that is the day I start seeing rutting activity. The muzzle loader in my unit follows rifle season and hits the rut PERFECT. It's a limited draw but can be had with one point.

I am in the dreaming stage but plan to get it done here in a few years when I have a LOT of time on my hands.

Thanks, I'll have to look into the muzzleloader hunt.2014 would fit my schedule better too,and I'd need the point.How much do the auction tags in Cali. go for??I'm sure its out of my price range but I might as well ask

BOY has everything but a Columbia blacktail and I'm short of a Columbia and a Coues (didn't include Sika as they are introduced). We're hoping to make a run after the blacktails in the next couple of years. Our research has pointed in the same direction and times that have been suggested. Good luck and be sure to take pics!

PS- If you don't mind the cost, guided and/or tresspass hunts aren't all that terribly expensive.

The hardest one to get (due to availability) is going to be the Columbia Whitetail. Headed out in an hour to try and get my youngest son his first! One of 5 tags available for a public land rifle hunt in the world as far as I know.

Of our three boys he is only one who doesn't LOVE to hunt. He enjoys it alright but at 18 he has a lot of other things on his mind. :rolleyes: He will try and get me to let him shoot the first doe we see.:eek: Not going to happen.......the bullets will be in my pocket. ;)

I'm one shy...Columbia Blacktail. Something I should do, but other hunts seem to always get the priority.

Whitetail:

IMG_1.jpg

Mule deer:

IMG_1461.JPG

Coues:

IMG_3347.JPG

Sitka Blacktail

IMG_1577_4_1.JPG

I'm short a Coues and a Sitka. The Sitka I'm lined out on and just have to make the trip happen. As for the Coues, I haven't got that figured out at all.

Slam

Ive got all But Coues Going Next Year Got Columbian Whitetail In Oregon Is The Hardest To Get Because Of Tags Its A fun Quest Gord RAM4G

It appears there different definitions of "deer slam" being used. For me, I just use B&C's list.

It appears there different definitions of "deer slam" being used. For me, I just use B&C's list.

Columbia Whitetails are a new one. They have only been being hunted for a few years since being listed as Endangered for many years.

Got our butts kicked by them this weekend! By far the most difficult animal to hunt that I have encountered. A this point I am thinking they need to be ambushed which will level the playing field a little. Spot and stalk they are really tough!

Looks like I may get a early season sitka blacktail hunt in after my caribou hunt this Sept.contacting a few guys on Prince of Wales to see if its worth the trip at that time of year.Hunting the different states involved to get the slam sounds like alot of fun so I think its going to be my new quest.

Columbia Whitetails are a new one. They have only been being hunted for a few years since being listed as Endangered for many years.

Got our butts kicked by them this weekend! By far the most difficult animal to hunt that I have encountered. A this point I am thinking they need to be ambushed which will level the playing field a little. Spot and stalk they are really tough!
I am familiar with them and with Carmen Mtn Whitetails. However, as far as I can read, B&C still counts them as a whitetail. Hence, my definition of a deer slam is just the deer species that they list. Not saying you can't have a different list, just stating what mine is.

Good luck on getting one!

Sometimes you can break subspecies down so far you'd have to hunt forever to get them all...kind of like trying to catch every subspecies of cutthroat trout.

I got my columbian blacktail (Oregon), rocky mtn. mule deer (Utah), whitetail (Montana). All I want is more of what I already have.

The winter of 2011/2012 was a record breaker in Alaska. Anchorage had the ALL-TIME snow level broken last winter. While most of the lower 48 was dry (including Idaho, where I live), Alaska was slammed. My question is: Does anyone have accurate data on deer die-offs because of this weather? I don't think you need to be employed as an Alaskan game biologist to assume there were lots and lots of deer whacked. Those after Sitka may want to wait for a little while until the herds rebuild.

Deer slam

I just finished the third leg of my deer slam this week! I took a 121 inch coues deer. It took me two years to get one. I am hunting Blacktail in Oregon this October and Sitka on Kodiak Island in 2014.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back