Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone use peep sights?

Hunts

I've decided to use peep sights this year on my 9.3x62mm. Even with a light scope it just felt too damn heavy. I use it in the timber for chasing elk and feel like I'm not giving up too much in range. Never seem to get a shot over 200 yards anyhow. I'll spend the summer practicing and see how far I can shoot it confidently. If I can keep my shots on a 8 or 9" paper plate at 100 yards I'll move out to 200 and see how it goes. Kind of looking forward to trying something new. I have to admit that I am a little bit bored shooting through a scope and I much prefer practicing shooting from practical field positions anyhow. Getting rid of the scope makes the gun quicker to shoot as well. I can work the bolt way faster.

I was wondering if anyone else uses a peep sight and how they like it?

If you haven't purchased the sights yet, check out skinner sights. http://www.skinnersights.com/
He mainly works with marlins, but it'd be worth a call to see if he could work up something for your rifle.

If you're hoping for an 8 or 9 inch group, I think you're going to be very pleasantly surprised...

I think you should be able to better that 8-9" group on your wish list as well. My Grandpa's old pump 30-06 has a peep would always come in closer to 4-5" groups regardless of what you fed through it. I've always liked a Peep sight and have thought about putting a set on an old sporterized 94 Mauser carbine I have in 6.5x55.

I have a old 300 Savage model 99 with the redfield peeps and can hold 5 to 6 inch group @100yds I love peeps for hunting heavy timbered areas.

Now I just have to wait about a month to get my rig back from the gunsmith. Hope the wolves leave a few elk for the fall.

I have an old, WW I Large ring K-98, 8X57 with Redfield peep sights that gives up very little to a scope. from a bench, 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
You will have no problem on elk out to 200+.
I don't shoot it much anymore because my eyes are getting too old, but the gun/sights do just fine.

My brothers and I all started out with a W30-30 Winchester model 64 with peep sights. What an awesome set up for a kid chasing blacktails. I loved that gun, I wish my model 99 had peeps on it as well.

I've decided to use peep sights this year on my 9.3x62mm.

I was wondering if anyone else uses a peep sight and how they like it?

I just pulled the scope off my 9.3x62 also, with the intent to do the same thing, I shoot a peep on my Winchester 94 .30-30AI, it does a lot better for me than the original sights.

If your 9.3 shoots like mine you won't have any problem hitting that paper plate at 100 yards, you won't have any problem hitting it at 200 either, mine shoots great!

Bob

Don't ever overlook a peep. Remember.....our Marines have to qualify, every year, at 500 yds using nothing else. They do work, very well. You just have to practice !

tarheel

Same problem as A-con. Have a Lyman peep on a K-98 which I had wildcatted to 8MM-06 for hunting timber elk when I lived in CO; now the old eyes have failed to the point that I might as well be sighting down a crowbar for all the good it would do me. If you can get enough light through the smaller aperture coupled with the proper front sight you might be surprised with the result.

Take a look at the peep site from XS Sights. Put some on my muzzleloader years back when the were made by Ashley Sights & consider them the best. I've got a Remington 700 in .30-06 that I want to restock & rebarrel to 35 Whelen. When I do I plan on putting a XS peep site & won't worry about shots out to 200 yards. Mount the aperture as close to your eye as you can. It's large diameter allows plenty of light, at least for my soon to be needing glasses eyes & with a little practice are fast on target. Try 'em - you won't be dissapointed.

I have peep sights on my Marling 1894 44 mag and 357 mag carbines. Also on my 30-30 and 35 Remy 336 rifles. My old eyes can't see the regular sights but the peep sights work well.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back