Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone seen the Rivian vehicles?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Hippy Trucky Linky

Interesting. I'm going to be in the market for a new one in 5-6 years, and will be watching these closely. I could go full on hippy with an electric pickup.

0-60 in 3 seconds for an EV is pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of EV's though to each his / her own. If it does the job and fits the bill... looks like one heck of an interesting ride. :)

0-60 in 3 seconds for an EV is pretty interesting. I'm not a fan of EV's though to each his / her own. If it does the job and fits the bill... looks like one heck of an interesting ride. :)

That would be hard on tires!

Does anyone know if you can recharge these in the field with a generator? If so, I wonder what the carbon footprint is relative to running on gas? Solar charger panels? I'm really interested in this.

I would give it a few years once it hits the market to work the bugs out. A coworker bought one of the new hip electric cars and it stranded her numerous times. She also had a hard time finding a mechanic that could work on it.

Cool nonetheless. When I'm ready for a new truck in 10 years I hope these things are still around and are on version 10 with a much longer range.

Does anyone know if you can recharge these in the field with a generator? If so, I wonder what the carbon footprint is relative to running on gas? Solar charger panels? I'm really interested in this.

I have to assume a generator could put a charge into it, but it would be slow. At home, the future will be solar panels with Tesla like power packs....really that is here now, but it will only become more wide-spread. So much technology to be gained here still.

As for the carbon footprint, building the actual rig is probably a push with a combustion vehicle. The variables are going to fall in the needs for rare earth metals for the batteries, and the constant output of energy for fossil fuels. Carbon/pollution wise I'm guessing it's a win, but there is certainly a cost with mining, production and disposal of batteries.

I have to assume a generator could put a charge into it, but it would be slow. At home, the future will be solar panels with Tesla like power packs....really that is here now, but it will only become more wide-spread. So much technology to be gained here still.

As for the carbon footprint, building the actual rig is probably a push with a combustion vehicle. The variables are going to fall in the needs for rare earth metals for the batteries, and the constant output of energy for fossil fuels. Carbon/pollution wise I'm guessing it's a win, but there is certainly a cost with mining, production and disposal of batteries.

So if I run out of juice on my way to the APR, and Schaaf won't answer his phone, do I unfold the solar panels and crack a beer?

So if I run out of juice on my way to the APR, and Schaaf won't answer his phone, do I unfold the solar panels and crack a beer?

Probably your best bet LOL, just make sure your cooler is analog with ice and foam so you don't suck your power supply with an electric LOL. I'm curious to see any technology gains in portable solar.

I would like to see the expected lifespan and the cost savings mathed out.

Anyone have a link?

If the maintenance was available locally, the batteries lasted 10 years of 3650 charges, and it didnt weigh 12,000 pounds I would consider it.

My ram 2500 6.7 diesel gets 20MPG and over 100K miles it costs me ~ $13,000 to drive it not counting general maintenance. Thats just fuel costs.

They claim no carbon footprint but lets be honest here. How much lead will they need to build the battery packs?

I think we would be better served creating a low emission vehicle that runs efficiently on natural gas and natural gas infrastructure to support those vehicles.

Last edited:

Smart ass humor aside, this is what really needs fleshed out and put into perspective.

I agree in that the carbon footprint for production is a wash. It's on the road carbon footprint that needs an objective assessment. I wouldn't buy one just as a feel good, but if it truly is a win situation from an ecological perspective then I'm a LOT more interested.

Silly you. Get your alligator clips and pull up to a bison fence.

$1,000 deposit for pre-order. Couldn't find a price.

Preorder the R1T truck to experience the thrill of navigating the world in an Electric Adventure Vehicle. Starting price of $69,000 before the Federal Tax rebate. Range of 230+ to 400+ miles.

My biggest concern is that I can drive 400 miles in my ram pickup and it costs me $53.00

400 miles in that Rivian will cost me $20....

After depletion of batteries over 3 years is it going to take me 300 miles on a single charge?

What is the price of electricity jumps from $.11/kw to $.25/KW?

Lot of unanswered questions for sure.

It just isnt cost effective at this point. I do like the 0-60 in 3 seconds though. The deer would never hear me coming and I would be on them quick for that out the window shot lol

I believe they said the Rivian truck was going to go for 70k. I ran the numbers quickly they other day and it would take 14 years to make it pay off from a purely money standpoint over just continuing to drive my current truck, and we have about the cheapest power in the nation here in e wa. The latest Nat Geo had a tangential article on lithium mining for batteries in S America. As American mining proponents have reminded me, mining in other countries is a lot uglier.

Back