Anyone in the Kalispell Area Missing a Husky?

This is from a past dog shooting in the Forest.
It says no crime was committed.

The hunter who shot a Missoula man’s dog on the assumption it was a wolf near Lee Creek campground on Sunday committed a tragedy but probably not a crime, according to county and state law enforcement officials.

“If we have any more information, if the guy comes forward, it will be investigated further,” Missoula County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Paige Pavalone said Monday. “This is an awful accident. But if it doesn’t fit into a state statute that we can enforce, it’s very difficult to investigate. We’re more than willing to help this person. We want to figure out what happened.”

But beyond taking the initial report from dog owner Layne Spence about the shooting, the sheriff’s office did not see evidence of a crime to be investigated, Pavalone said. The report was passed on to the state Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the U.S. Forest Service, whose law enforcement agents reached the same conclusion Monday.

That’s because, according to the statement Spence gave to law enforcement, the shooter tried to apologize after mistaking the brown-and-white malamute dog for a wolf. Spence told the deputy he told the man to leave him alone and the man left.

That conversation, according to Pavalone, made it extremely difficult to show criminal intent on the part of the shooter. Without criminal intent, the accidental shooting of a domesticated dog is not a crime. It could trigger a civil lawsuit over the loss of personal property, but the sheriff’s office does not investigate civil disputes.

I can see the mistake here if that critter did not have a collar on...was that dog just running around the hills? It's sad the owner of this dog felt it was OK to just let it run wild. I feel sorry not only for this lady, but the dog who had a crappy owner if it was just running around....and no collar.

This is from a past dog shooting in the Forest.
It says no crime was committed.

The hunter who shot a Missoula man’s dog on the assumption it was a wolf near Lee Creek campground on Sunday committed a tragedy but probably not a crime, according to county and state law enforcement officials.

“If we have any more information, if the guy comes forward, it will be investigated further,” Missoula County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Paige Pavalone said Monday. “This is an awful accident. But if it doesn’t fit into a state statute that we can enforce, it’s very difficult to investigate. We’re more than willing to help this person. We want to figure out what happened.”

But beyond taking the initial report from dog owner Layne Spence about the shooting, the sheriff’s office did not see evidence of a crime to be investigated, Pavalone said. The report was passed on to the state Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks and the U.S. Forest Service, whose law enforcement agents reached the same conclusion Monday.

That’s because, according to the statement Spence gave to law enforcement, the shooter tried to apologize after mistaking the brown-and-white malamute dog for a wolf. Spence told the deputy he told the man to leave him alone and the man left.

That conversation, according to Pavalone, made it extremely difficult to show criminal intent on the part of the shooter. Without criminal intent, the accidental shooting of a domesticated dog is not a crime. It could trigger a civil lawsuit over the loss of personal property, but the sheriff’s office does not investigate civil disputes.
That doesn’t make it legal precedent. But what the hell, maybe I should run down to Lodge Grass to “wolf” hunt.

I can see the mistake here if that critter did not have a collar on...was that dog just running around the hills? It's sad the owner of this dog felt it was OK to just let it run wild. I feel sorry not only for this lady, but the dog who had a crappy owner if it was just running around....and no collar.
For cripes sake anyone with a firing brain cell knows that even coyote pups are bigger then that this time of year. Collar or no collar this wasn’t a mistake it was stupidity

For cripes sake anyone with a firing brain cell knows that even coyote pups are bigger then that this time of year. Collar or no collar this wasn’t a mistake it was stupidity
I get that, but she is not the only one to blame, I agree, the dog owner is stupid...what are the law in MT? Is it supposed to have tags? Is it supposed to be on a leash? We can go round and round, in the end I agree, dog owner stupid, lady made a mistake...you can call it stupid, but people make mistakes.

If I shot an unleashed and uncollared Pygmy goat and hashtagged it as a pronghorn, you’d deem me a $*)Q!#@$ idiot. You’d be correct.

Damned Pygmy goat owner should have had tags and a leash on it.

If I shot an unleashed and uncollared Pygmy goat and hashtagged it as a pronghorn, you’d deem me a $*)Q!#@$ idiot. You’d be correct.

Damned Pygmy goat owner should have had tags and a leash on it.
apple and orange my friend...apples and oranges...lol

Ok, update time...ish.

So the story I've been hearing (not verifying, mind you) is that this was one of a group of loose and possibly abandoned dogs that was in the process of being rounded up out where this happened. If this is the case, then the dog wouldn't have any protections at all, really. Loose and unclaimed/unowned is grounds for shootability just about everywhere.

Again, not verified.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back