Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

They had 2 new F150s on the lot and 1 was a Lightening. MSRP was $69K and Selling price was $74K. It has been sitting there for over a month. In today's market. Hmmm.
It's likely not even for sale or the dealer will be fined $25,000 and risk future allocation cuts. Ford wants to make sure there are models available on lots for new customers to test drive.

Screenshot_20220715-155211_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
If only someone made a small, cheap, bare-bones EV so people could replace 80% of their driving while keeping their gasser.
There's TONS of them out there if you're willing to gamble a bit...

I would if I could afford one and needed one, maybe.
The 5' bed is a downer. 4x4, good .The reviews show it one of the more capable and useful of the few trucks. The cars are not trucks. SUV's are not trucks or tools. No one has made trucks ,tractors etc a priority.

I used one from Ford ,a Ranger , that the Parks Dept. had at the lake. Perfect for the park and to town and back, charge overnight. Test models offered from Ford in 2002? They just disappeared after a year and never heard from again. Same with the propane F150 model I drove for a year all over hell.
Not a electric long distance driver made yet, by anyone really.
300mi would work here locally well and recharge in a reasonable time would be acceptable. Not hard to wire a charger folks. Home model.
Yeah a pain if your a trailer hauler, traveler or such.

Like I said no one has begun to work on the EV deal for real life use. ,Tesla makes a jerk off celebrity sports car that is not practical with the speeds it reaches in drag track breaking times,and you drive it in USA,today on todays roads that are not safe at 75 due to conditions.
Oh but you can drive hands free....LOL Really? On I-40? What road? What idiot would do that?

Don't worry you diesel suckers. They are blowing smoke without reality checking in outside a city, big city.

It's likely not even for sale or the dealer will be fined $25,000 and risk future allocation cuts. Ford wants to make sure there are models available on lots for new customers to test drive.

View attachment 230067
So how does Bozeman Ford sell trucks for 127k when they list for 80k?

How does Kendall Ford (former Bozeman Ford) charge 14,856.00 for an engine replacement on a 2020 F250 with a 6.2 gas and I get it done at another dealership for 7,580?

Seems to me people can sell shit for whatever they want anymore and people will bite on it. Pretty wild

So how does Bozeman Ford sell trucks for 127k when they list for 80k?

How does Kendall Ford (former Bozeman Ford) charge 14,856.00 for an engine replacement on a 2020 F250 with a 6.2 gas and I get it done at another dealership for 7,580?

Seems to me people can sell shit for whatever they want anymore and people will bite on it. Pretty wild
The dealers have the right to charge whatever they want for vehicles. The dealer is Ford's customer, the individual is the dealership's customer.

What they're referring to on the Lightning is the fact that Ford gave demo vehicles of certain high-demand models to dealerships but they're not allowed to sell them for a while. The idea is that the end-user customer will pre-order a custom vehicle and Ford knows that many of them want to actually see/drive one before placing an order and then waiting over a year for their new vehicle to arrive.

Ford is clearly making vehicles in very high demand because they have waiting lists so long that they've stopped even taking orders for many models. I ordered a Ford for my wife the weekend of Thanksgiving and it got here last week. I paid sticker minus a $1,000 Retail Order Rebate. It was worth the wait

Considered an EV for less than 5 seconds. Ordered a F250, 7.3, Lariat in February. Price locked, including a $2000.00 mailed rebate from Ford. Picking it up next week. The day it arrived on the lot, my dealer was offered $12,000 over MSR. Crazy !!

I just saw a great story about EV and carbon foot prints vs gas vehicle the guy was an engineer and explained how a EV produces more carbon over its life vs gas powered
the Idea of puting a box around a car or truck and seeing how much carbon comes out isnt very real due to it takes energy to make a car and takes energy to power every car and the life spam he said was much less of Ev at this time
His take was hybrids were a better way to go vs all EV

The dealers have the right to charge whatever they want for vehicles. The dealer is Ford's customer, the individual is the dealership's customer.

What they're referring to on the Lightning is the fact that Ford gave demo vehicles of certain high-demand models to dealerships but they're not allowed to sell them for a while. The idea is that the end-user customer will pre-order a custom vehicle and Ford knows that many of them want to actually see/drive one before placing an order and then waiting over a year for their new vehicle to arrive.

Ford is clearly making vehicles in very high demand because they have waiting lists so long that they've stopped even taking orders for many models. I ordered a Ford for my wife the weekend of Thanksgiving and it got here last week. I paid sticker minus a $1,000 Retail Order Rebate. It was worth the wait
Thank you for the clarification. It's wild out there in the sales game. Even crazier is how many people "think" they can afford it.

Speaking from first hand experience having owned an electric car for most of the past 7 years, they're awesome to drive and can serve 95% of my normal driving days (not necessarily miles). However, as a hunter and horseman, if I didn't have my 3/4 ton diesel (230k miles) I couldn't swing it as a sole vehicle.

Range shrinkage - it's very real for both cold weather driving and driving 60+mph. With speed limits at 75, I budget 30% less than "range" and in the cold about 50%. So it is brutal in cold climates with fast highways. However, with a Tesla the charging network they invested in is pretty phenomenal on all the major highways, occurring about every 120miles.

That said, this challenge of range really only occurs on long distance trips which I don't do a ton of so in daily life it's amazing and beyond easy to live with.

FYI - The Tesla Model 3 ($39k) PLUS 3/4 ton 2011 duramax CCLB 160k miles at purchase ($26k) were less than a lot of people spend on one new 1/2 ton truck, so two vehicles are an option in normal times when used cars are reasonable and you're ok with base/work truck models like I am. If driving a lot it's especially intriguing when considering the genuine gas savings each month.

If I could only have one vehicle, I couldn't swing an electric as I need something to tow longer distances. Since I'm not driving much nowadays I'll probably sell the Tesla soon and keep the 3/4 ton, then see how things look when the electric trucks start showing up. Then, a work truck trim with a $7500 tax credit would be sweet for daily driving and close to home hunts, with the paid off 3/4 ton relegated to hauling and long trips. Other option is to sell both, get a 1/2 ton gasser for everything and suck it up on daily fuel costs. tbd...

ps - give me a plug in hybrid truck or suv with 40-50 mile range all electric for 95 of my driving days then decent gas only mpg and tow capacity for a 2 horse or sxs trailer and I'm all in.

Last edited:
With gas prices climbing, and now going down a bit, I see more and more people driving quads on the street. Not street legal but the cops don’t seem to care.
On another note about electric pickups, went out hunting with my son over the Labor Day weekend. On our way out a guy was pulling in a pop-up camper with a Rivian pickup. He made it a good way in and was stopped blocking the single-track road. We stopped to see what was up. The pickup was dead, not “lets put it in neutral and coast around”, but completely dead. He could not connect his phone to the internet to diagnose the issue (no cell service). So, after three hours of winching with snatch blocks and straps, we got his junk shuffled off the road. One major issue is the thing would not shift into neutral. We had lots of help because everyone was coming out at the same time. Anything that needs an internet connection in the back country to function is a “fail” to me.

As far as EVs go, if the infrastructure was in place, I would definitely consider the battery swapping style of vehicle (Nio) versus a plug it in and wait an hour or really longer. Personally again the infrastructure needs to be put in place, I think hydrogen is a good alternative. I will stick with fossil fuel/ethanol for a few years to see if hydrogen shakes out. I did that when CFL (compact fluorescent lighting) was a thing. I waited until LED became mainstream. CFLs like EV batteries are killer on the environment.

I think for the Urban environment there is a good testing bed for the battery life, longevity of the vehicle and a network of charging stations. Check out this youtube experience. Shows truck limitation's and charging issues.
Hint, I don't think these are right for pulling trailers cross country, certainly not into rough country with not charging options.

Back