Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Anybody know anything about Windmills and Wind Generators?

steve sutton

that might be able to answer this question?

Last October when I was in the Plentywood area I saw a really dilapidated "windmill" that I "think" was a "wind generator"......blade design was vastly different but it wasn't near an old homestead and I've never seen anything like it.....later I saw a "blade" in a little store where we had lunch and when I asked was told that it was off of a "windmill that was used to generate electricity.

Doing a search on the internet the only thing that I could find that "looked close" was what I "thinks is a "wind generator" on the "6666" Ranch, (4-6's for those that like that sort of thing), in Texas........so the question is.....

Is this a "wind generator"?

Windmill_at_National_Ranching_Herit.jpg

And if it is does anyone know if there are any "intact" examples of this type of wind generator in Montana today....maybe something that you've seen in your travels?

Thanks,

Steve

It is a regular old windmill in the off position. When you want it to catch the wind the blades fold down towards the center axle (have to crank on a cable I believe). That particular one looks like it is simply for pumping water the old fashion way...metal rod running up the center of the tower moves up and down pulling water from a well.

Might it have been an unconventional style of wind turbine? Did it look similar to one of the attached pictures?

Attachments

• wind-turbines-on-a-highway-signage-to-produce-wind-energy_179.jpg
    wind-turbines-on-a-highway-signage-to-produce-wind-energy_179.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 245
  • loopwing_windturbine_photo.jpg
    loopwing_windturbine_photo.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 255
  • quiet-revolution-wind-turbine.jpg
    quiet-revolution-wind-turbine.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 264
I spend today working on and climbing up and down turbines, little different than what you've got pictured though.

Like sweetnectar said, the one in your picture is a traditional wind 'mill', not a generator system. I don't know of any turbines in MT other than the various sized three blade design.

Back