MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anybody in Boise or SW Idaho want to make some money and help a fellow hunter?

Beautiful country.

A hi-lift, a little knowledge, and some chains might be some good tools to take with you in the event you get stuck again.

Definitely installing a winch. An old timer around my office said to carry 2 steel pipes to drive into the ground in the case of no trees.

Definitely installing a winch. An old timer around my office said to carry 2 steel pipes to drive into the ground in the case of no trees.

Practice making a Dead man ahead of time. Kinda like driving tent stakes....

172513d1108316350-winch-anchors-anchorpoint.jpg
eb742c567fb03ea37794014bba7f39a2.jpg

So were there any elk in there? JK. Get a big enough winch and a danforth style anchor, it will be good for snow, sand, or soft.

This is also a great example of how a fun trip on a sunny day can turn in to a survival situation in an instant. Happily you were physically capable to get out and get help. I had a similar situation where I buried a snowmobile 13 miles in. Long walk and some good fortune with two guys who helped dig me out. Be careful, simple things can turn into life altering events.

I was just thinking about a snowmobile earlier in the year. On second thought I think I'm good on toys that can get me up shit creek!

Practice making a Dead man ahead of time. Kinda like driving tent stakes....

172513d1108316350-winch-anchors-anchorpoint.jpg
eb742c567fb03ea37794014bba7f39a2.jpg

Not so much for the poster as it is for general information:

I don't know how heavy that tube is, but be careful when doing that kind of stuff. You don't want chain or tube to catastrophically fail with 7000lbs of force on it. It can get someone hurt. I have a hi-lift with a shear pin that is supposed to go before 7,000lbs. The chain I use is rated for heavier than that.... along with all the other accoutrements.

Probably not as big a deal as with a SXS vs a 6,000lb truck, but be careful. People can get hurt rigging machines out of mud.

Thats also not the proper way to construct a picket anchor. I carry a pull pal now but before that i had used a picket anchor a few times and it worked like a charm.
Mine was constructed of 4, 48" concrete form stakes. For a truck you double the first stake and tie it top to bottom. For an utv I would take 3 stakes and wouldn't double the first stake. You tie top to bottom because each stake has leverage on the one in front of it. Honestly for a utv i would prefer a GOOD 5ooo# come along so you can pull reverse or side easier.
Ill attach a pic from a few years ago. This winched out my Nissan frontier I was about 15 20mi from where you were just stuck. Same tire clogging mud.VideoCapture_20190414-115621.jpg20191119_115751.jpg

Thats also not the proper way to construct a picket anchor. I carry a pull pal now but before that i had used a picket anchor a few times and it worked like a charm.
Mine was constructed of 4, 48" concrete form stakes. For a truck you double the first stake and tie it top to bottom. For an utv I would take 3 stakes and wouldn't double the first stake. You tie top to bottom because each stake has leverage on the one in front of it. Honestly for a utv i would prefer a GOOD 5ooo# come along so you can pull reverse or side easier.
Ill attach a pic from a few years ago. This winched out my Nissan frontier I was about 15 20mi from where you were just stuck. Same tire clogging mud.View attachment 120356View attachment 120360

That pull pal is pretty slick. I like the comealong idea so you are not limited to pulling from the front. That mud sucks for sure.

I just saw this thread. I recognize that area- I've been stuck down that way a time or two. Had some long walks out in my younger years. That country is no joke, glad it all worked out!

I remember those days when dad was trapping. Several times he had to walk out of the desert to get a ride back to town. Luckily most times he could leave it 24-48 hrs until the ground "firmed" up. Probably not happening now with this here global warming;)

2 1/2 hours in the truck, an hour sxs ride, in some gorgeous country I might add, 30 seconds to hook the winch cable up, 2 minutes to get spud to dry ground, 30 seconds to wind the winch cable back onto the spool, an hour sxs ride, looking at the same country from the other side, still cool places, 2 1/2 hours in the truck. All in all a great way to spend a Sunday. I'm just glad I was available, I've had some moments in the backcountry myself.

36 inch or longer round concrete stakes and small sledge will work, too. Pound 2 stakes (deep as you can) at an angle away from the vehicle. One straight up and down at the point where the 2 others meet. Wire-tie all 3 together and you've got a pull point to attach a strap and come along to. If more pull points are required, the idea can be expanded on to pull more load. Pretty basic stuff.

We've had both kinds of experiences where people just drive by when you're in trouble in a remote area or we've been surprised by folks who'll just stop and ask if we're ok. Pretty random. Some care, some don't give a hoot.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back