Anybody gearing up for spring snow goose?

Thanks!!! Good luck to you as well.

I’m not too worried at this point. I hunted MN this weekend and there was a shocking amount of birds in far western edge of the state, but it was all adults so I think two weeks from now there will be birds somewhere in ND.

Last edited:
Can't believe i missed this thread...

I-'ve wanted to do this for far too long, and someday money and time better align and give me the shot.

They said it was going to be tough this year, certainly some highs and lows. But the dakotas didn’t disappoint. Two days of scouting and figuring it out and two days of good hunts are the result. Nothing like walking up to a 100,000 bird feed and not only getting permission but not even seeing another hunter around.103943View attachment 103968103975103976103977103978103979103980103981

Last edited:
Roads were good, fields were pretty muddy.

Can you divulge what part of the state you were in via pm? With this blizzard coming I’m not sure where to head. We were going to take one truck and a trailer but if it’s gonna be gnarly we might take two trucks, one with the wheeler and one with the decoys.

Can you divulge what part of the state you were in via pm? With this blizzard coming I’m not sure where to head. We were going to take one truck and a trailer but if it’s gonna be gnarly we might take two trucks, one with the wheeler and one with the decoys.
For sure , sent you a message

Well, thought I might revive this thread. Anyone have any plans for 2021 spring snow goose hunting? Covid was just kicking off during the time I would have been available to hunt last year when everyone was still really anxious about it, so my friends and I never made it out.

I'm coming back with a vengeance this year tho. Snow geese are brash and cocky and somebody needs to knock them out.

I’d think the migration is well on its way.
18k in Loess Bluffs NWR as of two days ago. Things are warming but still very much winter around my way (MN). My cue to get ready is when Loess Bluffs peaks around 1.5 million and starts decreasing.

Should be in SD third week of March and ND first-second week of April. Looking at the weather forecast and knowing parts of ND are already snow free I’m thinking of moving dates up but we will be wherever the birds are assuming it’s in the US lol. One good march storm will slow em down hopefully. Last year was fun, this year we’re running 120 dozen silosocks, 80 dozen divebomb s3i’s, 200 full bodies and 3 ecallers. Group will be 4-10 depending on dates. Should be fun. I’m self employed so when they get there is when we go.

I live in northern SD with the lack of snow we have I expect the birds to blow through rather quickly. Don’t get me wrong, There will be birds to shoot, just probably won’t be a long season here.

Looking like St Patty's day weekend is gonna be spent in SD somewhere for me. The biggest issue I have right now is the Trail of Derek Chauvin since I live in Minneapolis. I'm not going to feel comfortable leaving my girlfriend home by herself over a four day weekend if it's anything like it was back in May.

18k in Loess Bluffs NWR as of two days ago. Things are warming but still very much winter around my way (MN). My cue to get ready is when Loess Bluffs peaks around 1.5 million and starts decreasing.
I’ve hunted SD twice, when you hit it perfect there’s nothing better. Timing is everything!

No snows came through here at all last fall and almost no honkers. I only shot ten, two limits on two consecutive days. Never set out a decoy. Shot them all passing as they left field first day and slough second day. And that was it. Very weird... and concerning. I usually get forty or fifty a season without much effort.

Would love to make a run to the prairies to give the dogs some work but it would have to be a guided deal as I have only two dozen honker shells and no layout blind (not needed here). My Lab Ellie still won't pick up a honker off the field but she is fine bringing them in from water and ducks land or sea. It seems to be the size of honkers that is a concern. She is very soft mouthed and just not into horsing a heavy bird. She grew up behind the late great Opal who did that work. I have been able to get her to fetch dead cacklers in the yard so getting into some heavy duty snow geese hunting would probably be just what she needs. She is such a fantastic upland dog I'm really almost hesitant to mess with trying to fix a minor inconvenience re honkers for fear of screwing that up. Best if she works it out on her own. If not, oh well. I can pick up my own geese. Lots of people do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back