Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anybody else feeling there age?

When you turn off the sound on the tv cause of the drug ads and you have no need for any of them because you never had any of those issues.
Damn there's some sick puppies out there.

Just feeling cocky the day before I see a Dr. LOL

@Hammsolo

Yup - I was a gym rat. They tell me some of my power lifting records are still on the wall at my high school from 1979. I remember my dad being pissed because I bent his 1 1/4" wrecking bar trying to pry a granite rock out of a fence line we were building. I put my legs into at and it just, bent.

Pop had a ceramic tile business. From about age 12 my days started mixing mud in an old school mixing box and carrying it in buckets. Then smacking it on the wall with a hawk and trowel. Then you were bent at the waist screeding it off the kitchen backsplash. To this day I have bat-wing lats from pulling that mixing hoe and carrying hod in buckets.
I also have no cartilage in my shoulders.

I stopped doing that when I went to college. Pop did it his whole life. He can barely stand up straight now. He's had both hips and both knees replaced.

I still love to hunt solo. Every elk I carry out I ask myself why I keep putting myself through this. And I know why. I keep doing it and carry an inReach for when that time comes I fall and can't get up.

Two things my parents told me when I was young which I thought were stupid, but now I absolutely understand.

Pop said, "What I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do. "
Mom said, "You're the stud now, but someday your wife be be chasing you. "
Amen to both.

Spent a lifetime lifting things I should have left for the forklift and now every morning is an effort to move without cramping up, back spasming, or joints locking up...lungs are shot from chemical pneumonia, arthritis forces my hands to constantly ache, have had to have one knee scoped and will have the other done after hunting season in the mean time have started wearing compression sleeves on my knees. All of the abuse on my body has created a medical wreck...the difference between us old heads and the youngsters is that we still get up every morning, go to work and play in the mountains despite the pain while they lay about crying for a couple of days every time they bang their knee. After a certain age we are left with our pride and stubborn ass will to continue forward.

When you get up @ 0400 and slept well because you fell alseep just after dark and slept thru the movie.
Hank, I laugh to myself sometimes now when I get ready for bed and it is the same time I use to be putting on my makeup to go out for the evening.

Another sign of old age for me, was recently a young man who had just gotten out of the Air Force was showing me the "nose art" on an airplane and I smiled and told him if you want to see good "nose art", look at the art from the Golden Age of Nose Art ;) RIP Don Allen

30 and nothing yet to complain about that hasn't been bothering me for 10 years already.

but, at least for me, the freak outs about the march of time are getting more frequent. but that's also been a thing for 10 years now.
boy do I grok this...

My dad died of cancer at 58... aunt cancer 58, grandfather early 50s. Living into your 60s is a gift... that march of time freak out is persistent here as well.

boy do I grok this...

My dad died of cancer at 58... aunt cancer 58, grandfather early 50s. Living into your 60s is a gift... that march of time freak out is persistent here as well.

they are hard to shove aside sometimes. especially with rough family histories, that's super hard.

having a baby on the way is making it worse. cause i look at my parents, basically mid 60's, and i know they look at me and wife and think "yeesh, it feels like yesterday we were in that same stage of life."

and i'm like damn, that means tomorrow i'm turning 64 and getting a knee replacement. f*%k me.

Hank, I laugh to myself sometimes now when I get ready for bed and it is the same time I use to be putting on my makeup to go out for the evening.

Another sign of old age for me, was recently a young man who had just gotten out of the Air Force was showing me the "nose art" on an airplane and I smiled and told him if you want to see good "nose art", look at the art from the Golden Age of Nose Art ;) RIP Don Allen
The B-17 building at the PIMA Air Museum in Tucson is a must see for nose art. I always wondered at how tame the Nose Art was from WWII compared to Vietnam. I was wrong. They just didn't put the WWII art in Nat Geo when I was a kid. Some of the stuff in the PIMA is pretty racy.

they are hard to shove aside sometimes.

having a baby on the way is making it worse. cause i look at my parents, basically mid 60's, and i know they look at me and wife and think "yeesh, it feels like yesterday we were in that same stage of life."

and i'm like damn, that means tomorrow i'm turning 64 and getting a knee replacement. f*%k me.
Then someday you see an old picture of you and your wife from decades before. You ask WTH are these kids?

they are hard to shove aside sometimes. especially with rough family histories, that's super hard.

Yep... at the very least makes me damn sure I'm not gonna waste time.

"Man you guys are always just so busy... well Janice, I'm not sure I'll make it past 55 so I'm not f-ing around, if I make it to the porch sitting years then I'll sit on the porch."

"they allow people that young to get married??"

i can already imagine it lol
I was 19 when I got married. Joined the marines couple months later. Been together ever since, we celebrate our anniversary this coming sunday. Time is flying by.... I did smack her on the butt this morning tho, so clearly still a teenager.

Yep... at the very least makes me damn sure I'm not gonna waste time.

"Man you guys are always just so busy... well Janice, I'm not sure I'll make it past 55 so I'm not f-ing around, if I make it to the porch sitting years then I'll sit on the porch."

exactly. the baby is also causing huge anxiety around that. buying a brand new house, getting pregnant, landscaping the yard myself....

i haven't done anything this summer i want to do in the summers.

and i get it, that's life some times. but it's giving me some internal meltdowns.

exactly. the baby is also causing huge anxiety around that. buying a brand new house, getting pregnant, landscaping the yard myself....

and i get it, that's life some times. but it's giving me some internal meltdowns.
I have those often as well. usually when I'm fishing or laying in bed trying to go to sleep, or when I'm watching ancient aliens, or skin walker ranch.

Well protip from my dad, the best time to hike your face off is when they are like 4ish months to a year. Once they start to walk they don't want to be in the pack for long periods of time anymore/don't sleep in the pack as well, and then you slow down for a bit.

Just go camping... it's going to be a PITFA for a bit, but eventually your normalize the tent and they will sleep in the tent.

anyway... that's my plan for 2023 at least.... along with buying a house/moving across country, wife starting a new job... etc. ;)

Well protip from my dad, the best time to hike your face off is when they are like 4ish months to a year. Once they start to walk they don't want to be in the pack for long periods of time anymore/don't sleep in the pack as well, and then you slow down for a bit.

Just go camping... it's going to be a PITFA for a bit, but eventually your normalize the tent and they will sleep in the tent.

any... that's my plan for 2023 at least.... along with buying a house/moving across country, wife starting a new job... etc. ;)

so far my wife is on board with the "we just have to go camping no matter what" mentality, though i'm scared she'll start to flake on me lol.

are you saying you already know that your wife's new job will be "across country"??

that can only mean westward ;)

so far my wife is on board with the "we just have to go camping no matter what" mentality, though i'm scared she'll start to flake on me lol.

are you saying you already know that your wife's new job will be "across country"??

that can only mean westward ;)
I know that she won't be working in the same place is about it, and are life will be very different lol.

Super awesome for a type A chronic over planner

Oh and on the topic of the thread, I know get hangovers from 2 beers so I've got that going for me.

anyway... that's my plan for 2023 at least.... along with buying a house/moving across country, wife starting a new job... etc. ;)
Are you becoming a father, or did I read that wrong? Congrats if so!

The B-17 building at the PIMA Air Museum in Tucson is a must see for nose art. I always wondered at how tame the Nose Art was from WWII compared to Vietnam. I was wrong. They just didn't put the WWII art in Nat Geo when I was a kid. Some of the stuff in the PIMA is pretty racy.
i agree, on all points ;) The grey ghost, mount and ride, the butchers daughters are three I remember that would not work today. Musically, a couple had a pin up girl and the words, "shoo shoo baby" from the Andrew sisters on their plane. Some tamer ones, like Memphis Belle, became the name of a movie.

I know that she won't be working in the same place is about it, and are life will be very different lol.

Super awesome for a type A chronic over planner

Oh and on the topic of the thread, I know get hangovers from 2 beers so I've got that going for me.

i swear there's something poetic and actually really good about life not allowing a type a planner to plan.

for me, the only change that has occurred is that too much lactose will result in a horrific night. moderate amounts... just horrific for the wife.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back