Caribou Gear

Anybody else feeling there age?

A bit of a rabbit hole for the two soon to be first time dads @TOGIE and @wllm

I wrote this email to a couple of friends after our first camping trip with our first child (pic above was kid #2, after we had it all figured out).

So we attempted our first camping trip with Allie this weekend. I thought you all might enjoy the story.

Left Friday evening, heading up the Entiat, just planning on spending one night (Stef works on Sundays). Loaded up the truck with everything but the kitchen sink, piled it high, and strapped it down, leaving just enough room for both the dogs. Found an old deer camp on a side road to a side road up off of the Mud Creek road (no campgrounds for us, campgrounds are for weenies!). Everything went reasonable well including putting Allie to bed, she fought it for a while, but actually fell asleep after an hour or so of fussing. When it was time for the grownups to go to bed we decided the dogs would sleep on a pad in the back of the truck (as opposed to tying them to a tree or a stake, the logic: truck has high sides that would deter them from jumping out and chasing things, plus they might feel safer in the truck).

130am it starts to rain. There was no rain in the forecast, therefore “everything but the kitchen sink” did not include a tarp or rain gear (no that we live on the dry side we’ve lost all common sense), but thankfully did include the tent rainfly.

145am dogs start to whine.

230am it’s still raining, dogs are whining loud enough to prevent sleep. I get up let them out of the truck, put their pad under the truck and try to convince them to sleep there, they think is play time not sleep time and don’t cooperate.

245am I come up with the bright idea that the only place that dry and confined is the vestibule to our tent which is plenty big for their pad and both the dogs. I place pad under rain fly, crawl into tent, and call dogs over. The shorthair (also referred to as Brown dog and Turd) jumps into the tent through the small opening I’ve got my head poked out through and prances around the tent stepping on and kicking everyone and getting everything wet, waking everyone up the process. Allie starts to cry.

250am finally get a hold of the Turd and throw her out of the tent! Get both dogs to laydown on their pad, shut the rainfly and close up the tent. Before my head hits the pillow both dogs bolt out from under the rainfly dislodging it in the process and run off into the dark barking and chasing God knows what. Screw ‘em, if they want to run off and get eaten by cougars or bears or wolves so be it. I’m not getting up again.

300am Allie goes back to sleep.

330am Thinking it’s safe to get up my wife gets up to use the restroom (she will probably hate me for saying that, but it’s a part of the story that can’t be left out).

335am Allie wakes up again upon my wife’s reentry to the tent and proceeds to assume it’s play time. Although it is cute, no one is sleeping and it’s sleep time.

400am after repeated hushings/lullbys/tuck-ins, I resort to a bear hug Allie to hold her still

430am sleep is achieved once more

435am dogs come back and proceed to either circle the tent whining or run off barking, repeat cycle

700am dogs wake Allie up again. It’s still raining. No one is sleeping. It’s time to go. Load up the truck full of wet gear and head home.

915am back home wet and exhausted, camping trip lasted a grand total of 15 hrs. Will try again next weekend.

Last edited:
I bit if a rabbit hole for the two soon to be first time dads @TOGIE and @wllm

I wrote this email to a couple of friends after our first camping trip with our first child (pic above was kid #2, after we had it all figured out).

So we attempted our first camping trip with Allie this weekend. I thought you all might enjoy the story.

Left Friday evening, heading up the Entiat, just planning on spending one night (Stef works on Sundays). Loaded up the truck with everything but the kitchen sink, piled it high, and strapped it down, leaving just enough room for both the dogs. Found an old deer camp on a side road to a side road up off of the Mud Creek road (no campgrounds for us, campgrounds are for weenies!). Everything went reasonable well including putting Allie to bed, she fought it for a while, but actually fell asleep after an hour or so of fussing. When it was time for the grownups to go to bed we decided the dogs would sleep on a pad in the back of the truck (as opposed to tying them to a tree or a stake, the logic: truck has high sides that would deter them from jumping out and chasing things, plus they might feel safer in the truck).

130am it starts to rain. There was no rain in the forecast, therefore “everything but the kitchen sink” did not include a tarp or rain gear (no that we live on the dry side we’ve lost all common sense), but thankfully did include the tent rainfly.

230am it’s still raining, dogs are whining loud enough to prevent sleep. I get up let them out of the truck, put their pad under the truck and try to convince them to sleep there, they think is play time not sleep time and don’t cooperate.

245am I come up with the bright idea that the only place that dry and confined is the vestibule to our tent which is plenty big for their pad and both the dogs. I place pad under rain fly, crawl into tent, and call dogs over. The shorthair (also referred to as Brown dog and Turd) jumps into the tent through the small opening I’ve got my head poked out through and prances around the tent stepping on and kicking everyone and getting everything wet, waking everyone up the process. Allie starts to cry.

250am finally get a hold of the Turd and throw her out of the tent! Get both dogs to laydown on their pad, shut the rainfly and close up the tent. Before my head hits the pillow both dogs bolt out from under the rainfly dislodging it in the process and run off into the dark barking and chasing God knows what. Screw ‘em, if they want to run off and get eaten by cougars or bears or wolves so be it. I’m not getting up again.

330am Thinking it’s safe to get up my wife gets up to use the restroom (she will probably hate me for saying that, but it’s a part of the story that can’t be left out).

335am Allie wakes up again upon my wife’s reentry to the tent and proceeds to assume it’s play time. Although it is cute, no one is sleeping and it’s sleep time.

400am after repeated hushings/lullbys/tuck-ins, I resort to a bear hug Allie to hold her still

435am dogs come back and proceed to either circle the tent whining or run off barking, repeat cycle

700am dogs wake Allie up again. It’s still raining. No one is sleeping. It’s time to go. Load up the truck full of wet gear and head home.

915am back home wet and exhausted, camping trip lasted a grand total of 15 hrs. Will try again next weekend.

A true tale of backcountry fatherhood.

I was 19 when I got married. Joined the marines couple months later. Been together ever since, we celebrate our anniversary this coming sunday. Time is flying by.... I did smack her on the butt this morning tho, so clearly still a teenager.
If anyone was desperate or drunk enough to slap my butt, it might buckle my knees. Satchel ass. I actually don't look too bad dressed but when the clothes come off for a shower I usually make sure the lights are turned off first. Haven't worn shorts in over twenty years. Very-gross veins look like a relief map of an artillery range. Scary!

I think @VikingsGuy guy said he wondered what Ms. Wllm was like... well

"oh god, I'm gonna.. quick get a photo, this is gonna be our announcement card"

🤮

Does she even know that you took that picture? Will she kill you if she finds out you posted it (blackmail material may be useful one day :) ), and why is she wearing that strange blurry mask?

:)

1659463440206.png
Me 6 weeks old ~3 miles in, getting my second baptism in a desert pothole.

Though not to give anyone fomo, or social media envy of his sick photos, my dad always assured people during his slide shows that most of our early camping trips kinda sucked lol

does it make me prepared or dumb to think, "well that's probably in one of the top percentiles for how good it actually can go"

most of the stories i've heard from friends and their first attempts usually involve them turning the car around half way to the camp site.

did that experience qualify as type 2?

We took our daughter for her first hike( in pack) at 8 weeks old. Jeezus...don't forget diapers like we did.🤣
I packed that kid hiking and x-country skiing until her feet were kicking me in the butt. Good training for the sherpa. Lollipops your friend when the kid is having a meltdown screaming in your ear and you are 6k back in January.
Now she is 15.
Enjoy every last minute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back