Anybody Buying Yet? Where’s the Bottom?

What "stuff"?? Do tell
Long SPY and short slightly in the money put on some private equity firms that I would be happy to own around these levels. Reality is we are very oversold. Things could get worse, but market is way ahead of itself in the selloff. Economic data not that bad. Housing is weak but that should be expected when rates double. I joke that the market moves so fast in trying to predict things it is in the middle of predicting a recession before it even starts.

Snagged a few finless browns did you?
LOL. We will see. Will probably hold for a couple of weeks. I don't think this selling pressure can keep this pace. Wouldn't be surprised to see another week up 5-10%. I don't want to overthink what the "correct" price should be. Just playing flows right now.

Last edited:
Gonna say it again.... the youngsters gonna learn what a P/E ratio is and why I said I wouldn't have touched Tesla with a 10 foot pole. This has potential to get dot.com bubble bursting bad.

I get what you're saying and there's some truth to it, but most of the time, the P/E ratio is by far the most overrated thing you can look at. Generally speaking, it is a great way to end up with a bunch of mediocre companies.

With that said, I'll agree that right now, high P/E stocks are a tough place to be. Will probably have a recession and who knows how long it will take, but eventually when the Fed changes course, I would bet that there will be a new group of high P/E stocks that will lead the way higher. Most likely different companies than the last decade.

Victoria, Australia. Flush! Swirlllll.... :)

View attachment 227465

Been a nice buy off the dip!

Volatility is the current game. Bets?
Covered the short puts on the PE firms for 60% gain. Still holding long SPY to see if this bounce has legs. I don’t trust this rally until it proves itself, but still a ways from any significant resistance and flows are in my favor. Before you energy bulls get too excited on todays bounce, OIH went from bull market to bear market in 2 weeks, so I don’t trust that either. I feel like I need a seat beat for my chair when I sit down in the morning and I trust nothing.

Covered the short puts on the PE firms for 60% gain. Still holding long SPY to see if this bounce has legs. I don’t trust this rally until it proves itself, but still a ways from any significant resistance and flows are in my favor. Before you energy bulls get too excited on todays bounce, OIH went from bull market to bear market in 2 weeks, so I don’t trust that either. I feel like I need a seat beat for my chair when I sit down in the morning and I trust nothing.

A pretty good summary of the past week and ETF's in particular:

Stock Market Rally​

The stock market rally attempt delivered big weekly gains in a short week, the major indexes closing Friday at their best levels.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average leapt 5.4% in last week's stock market trading. The S&P 500 index gained 6.5%. The Nasdaq composite surged 7.5%. The small-cap Russell 2000 jumped 6%.

The 10-year Treasury yield fell 11 basis points to 3.12%, rebounding from just above 3% at Thursday's lows.

U.S. crude oil futures dipped 0.3% to $104.27 a barrel last week, rebounding 3.2% on Friday.

Among the best ETFs, the Innovator IBD 50 ETF (FFTY) fell 1.5% last week, with commodity-related names weighing on FFTY. The Innovator IBD Breakout Opportunities ETF (BOUT) rose 1.7%. The iShares Expanded Tech-Software Sector ETF (IGV) surged 10.3%. The VanEck Vectors Semiconductor ETF (SMH) popped 5.1%.

SPDR S&P Metals & Mining ETF (XME) fell 1% last week, even with a big bounce Friday. The Global X U.S. Infrastructure Development ETF (PAVE) gained 3.6%. U.S. Global Jets ETF (JETS) leapt 5%. SPDR S&P Homebuilders ETF (XHB) shot up 7.6%. The Energy Select SPDR ETF (XLE) slid 2.6% and the Financial Select SPDR ETF (XLF) climbed 4.6%. The Health Care Select Sector SPDR Fund (XLV) raced up 7.8%, with UNH stock a major holding.

Reflecting more-speculative story stocks, ARK Innovation ETF (ARKK) vaulted 18.25% last week and ARK Genomics ETF (ARKG) 18.1%, both moving above their 50-day line. Tesla stock remains a top holding across Ark Invest's ETFs.

Strong run of finless browns in the catch and release stretch today. What fly should I use @SAJ-99 ?
Like I said, trust nothing. Things will continue to get overdone both ways. The PCE number was high, but yields went down. Stuff is doing weird moves. I sold calls on last rip higher, so some of this decline was muted. Looking to cover and reposition. Expecting lots of chop this summer. One day it looks like a finless brown, next week it looks like a beautiful fish.

I've just stopped looking...
This is the cheapest asset prices have been in a couple years. I hope everything gets cheaper. It's hard to tell which way things are going to go but I think we are finally to the point a well diversified portfolio should start to hold up okay no matter which way instead of the everything but o&g,commodities beat down. DCA'ing into this. Bonds are looking pretty a-okay to me at this point. Even picking up some long duration bond funds. Would have never thunk it 6 months ago

This is the cheapest asset prices have been in a couple years. I hope everything gets cheaper. It's hard to tell which way things are going to go but I think we are finally to the point a well diversified portfolio should start to hold up okay no matter which way instead of the everything but o&g,commodities beat down. DCA'ing into this. Bonds are looking pretty a-okay to me at this point. Even picking up some long duration bond funds. Would have never thunk it 6 months ago
Sure. But you're assuming that I had cash money just laying around waiting to be invested or was in something conservative that could be moved to something more aggressive... neither of those were the case! You clearly haven't been tracking my comments on the this thread. The stuff I mess with was so over-inflated/risky that I'm so underwater on tech that I can't stomach selling anything for the amount of losses I'd take.

But I hope it gets cheaper too, because I'm still buying at the same rates I always have in my main retirement accounts.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back