MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Any plumbers on here

Any pms are welcome. For starters we are on a well. The two bathrooms upstairs are on two opposite ends of the house in the morning (or anytime the plumbing hasn't been used for a length if time I'd imagine but someone is always home with kids). The bathroom sinks and toilets in those bathrooms will spudder air like no other. It's not every morning but some are worse than others. There are two other sinks on that level of the house, a shower in one of the bathrooms and a washing machine. None of those ever shudder not once. Well guy says it's a plumbing issue. Plumber says it's a well issue. I'm at my wits end with it.

Have you checked your pressure tank? Proper pressure or faulty bladder in tank along with your pressure switch settings?

Worked with dozens of plumbers over the years. One old boy informed me in my younger years that to be a good plumber you only need to know a few things.
- Chit flows down hill
- Payday is Friday
- The boss is a bastard
- Never eat with your fingers

Have you checked your pressure tank? Proper pressure or faulty bladder in tank along with your pressure switch settings?
Pressure tank is new. Supply line from well to house was galvanized and started leaking a month back and.we replaced it. This problem was ongoing before the new pressure tank.

You obviously are sucking air into a closed system from somewhere.
If your pressure switch and pressure tank are in sync one of the more common sources of air is a pin hole in your pipe above the low draw down in your well. This could be very well why you are only getting the air intermittently - air will always go to the high point when in water.

I'm right with cowboy, air is getting in somewhere and it's highly unlikely to be at a point after the pressure tank. You would have a water leak opposed to air escaping if it was after the pressure tank.

Do you think it’s related to your plumbing vents? We are required to 3” going through the roofs and toilets require a 2” vent, vanity/sinks 1.5”. Any sewer smells? I can’t imagine air getting into you pressure tank or well system, since I thought most of those were closed, unless your pump head was somehow above your hydrostatic water level in well casing? Best of luck, I’m not a plumber, but can do it.

Do you have a water softener? Been plumbing 40 years.
I suspected something with the softener since we had it installed right before we moved in. Brought it up to the plumber he wouldn't even acknowledge it.
Do you think it’s related to your plumbing vents? We are required to 3” going through the roofs and toilets require a 2” vent, vanity/sinks 1.5”. Any sewer smells? I can’t imagine air getting into you pressure tank or well system, since I thought most of those were closed, unless your pump head was somehow above your hydrostatic water level in well casing? Best of luck, I’m not a plumber, but can do it.
Crossed my mind as well.

Back up a minute. I understood the sputtering was coming from the faucets and fill line to stool? If so, the venting is unrelated to the problem. If the sputtering is in the drains, then Pagosa is on the right track.
Yes sputtering is coming from faucets supply line to toilets.

I had air in my water lines after the softener regenerated( every 4-8 days). The valving allowed air to enter the media tank on the last cycle and wouldn't flush it out till I opened a faucet. I replaced the softener, cause thats what I do, but it should be repairable if it isn't too old.

I had air in my water lines after the softener regenerated( every 4-8 days). The valving allowed air to enter the media tank on the last cycle and wouldn't flush it out till I opened a faucet. I replaced the softener, cause thats what I do, but it should be repairable if it isn't too old.
We rent the softener actually. Price seems like a no Brainer.

I should mention that it is only the cold side that does it.
Not a well issue then.... Had a similar problem with my well (except sucking air in either h/c) - plumber quoted me 25k for a cistern because "the well was dry." Took the well cap off and had 80' of water. FIL and i replaced the well pump, controller, etc and havent had a problem since. It was around 4k for the parts but i bought a cadillac pump/controller. Going to a more modern pump controller (digitally adjust PSI) without a huge tank has been nice. It seems strange its only on one side of the plumbing, though...

As suggested - bypass your softener. Just thinking other possibilities - you could have a hole in your drop pipe? I.e. when the water gets below the hole on the pipe in the well, air is introduced.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back