Caribou Gear

Any Montana bulls down?

Great work ismith! You really have to hustle cutting up an elk with heat and flies,then getting it out.I bailed for cooler weather coming soon.

Thanks guys! It was a very tough pack out solo and in 85 degree weather. Carrying game bags really paid off as I really had to get it boned out quick. It didn't take long for the flies to find me and by the time I was finished there were thousands! I usually carry 2 quarts of water with me, I drank 6 quarts on Thursday and 7 quarts yesterday so my water filter earned its keep this year. I went back today and got the rack with a buddy and the elk were talking a fair bit. We walked into a big bull with a few cows but the wind swirled and they took off.

Congrats ismith, hope your shins aren't as ripped us as mine were last week after crawling through stuff like that.

In 3 nights spent out, I have yet to not have bugling bulls keep me up all night, mostly within a few hundred yards. They still haunt me when I come back home, echoing around in my head.

Ran into a couple guys today who had a wounded "possible 350" bull out there. I helped look for a little while, the guy was sick over it. I feel for him, hoping they find it.

Took my daughter out with me tonight and she helped get a bull to 80 yds He was a chuckler and her eyes got all big. Good times. Hope my luck turns and I get a pict up here
image.jpg

I've had some meat care questions for a while and ismith's bull is a perfect prompt:

How do you keep meat for 24-36 hrs in the type of weather we've been having in SW MT so far this season? I'm assuming ismith deboned all the meat, bagged it, and hung it in the shade/ somewhere cooler. It's sounds like this worked great for him, but I've also had people tell me to not even think of shooting an elk if I'm by myself in this kind of weather (80 day / 50 night).

What is everyone's experience?

I've had some meat care questions for a while and ismith's bull is a perfect prompt:

How do you keep meat for 24-36 hrs in the type of weather we've been having in SW MT so far this season? I'm assuming ismith deboned all the meat, bagged it, and hung it in the shade/ somewhere cooler. It's sounds like this worked great for him, but I've also had people tell me to not even think of shooting an elk if I'm by myself in this kind of weather (80 day / 50 night).

What is everyone's experience?

Yes I boned it out. I carry game bags in my pack and doing that really saved me some time and energy this time. I also got the meat into trash bags and sitting in a creek the next day and then on to coolers and ice at the truck.

My boy shot one. It was his first day bowhunting big game. We backpacked in, and it was the only animal we saw the entire weekend. It came to a cow call (a hot pink one made by Tony Jones), and he shot it at 7ft. Hit the heart. I will never forget this, pretty awesome.

1234265_10200920037702173_334412076_n.jpg

Damn nice Bulle Greenhorn. And 7ft. What a rush that must of been for your son! Crazy first day of bowhunting!

My boy shot one. It was his first day bowhunting big game. We backpacked in, and it was the only animal we saw the entire weekend. It came to a cow call (a hot pink one made by Tony Jones), and he shot it at 7ft. Hit the heart. I will never forget this, pretty awesome.

1234265_10200920037702173_334412076_n.jpg

That is amazing...congrats to the both of you

Kurt that is amazing! I'm sure Tyler can hardly sleep. It's going to be a fun day at school for him. Big congrats to both of you

Congrats to all of you successful hunters, but I must say that seeing Greenhorn's son's bull made me smile the most! Fond memories of my son's deer hunting experiences :) Thanks for posting everyone!!

I can't express how cool that is Kurt and Dude. Congratulations! To you too ismith!

Hey Greenhorn, Great job calling a good bull for your boy, and even better is the boy holding his cool at 7 ft.Years ago I could have shot my first bull at 7 ft. and I froze.:rolleyes:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back