Any Issues with Leveling Kits???

Mainer207

Hey guys,

I've been debating installing a 1.5" leveling kit on my 2013 silverado since the day I got it. However, I've gotten a lot of mixed messages about the pros and cons of a leveling kit.

I was considering a rough country leveling spacer kit, but a buddy of mine told me it's hard on the CV joints and other front end parts. Other people have told me it doesn't have any negative effects.

Now I'm here for the HT veterans to tell me your experience/thoughts on leveling kits. Do you run them? Why or why not?

I have had one on my F150 almost since day one. I had to replace ball joints around 85,000 miles. Whether it influenced that or not, I have no idea. Without it, I probably would have ripped the front bumper off a few times, so there’s a bit of a give-and-take there

I've run levels and lifts on a couple vehicles, and my belief is that the heavier oversized tires are primarily at fault for premature front end wear. I dropped from 35s to 33s one one of my trucks and it helped tremendously.

pretty much every truck i've ever owned has been lifted or leveled. i like the way lifted trucks look and like the way leveled trucks perform. don't overdo it on tires and keep the front end aligned and you should be fine.

I've leveled every truck I've driven for the last 15 years. just be sure you align the fronts. Using Fabtech on my current 2500HD. 275/65 R20 Michelin LTX A/T2....rides great.

Do it! Life's too short for an ugly truck. Ive had leveling kits on the last three trucks Ive had. I currently run 305/55/20s on my Ram 2500. The key is alignment to minimize wear. I agree it may cause some additional wear by affecting the geometry of the front end but my guess is it is fractional at worst.

Do it! Life's too short for an ugly truck. Ive had leveling kits on the last three trucks Ive had. I currently run 305/55/20s on my Ram 2500. The key is alignment to minimize wear. I agree it may cause some additional wear by affecting the geometry of the front end but my guess is it is fractional at worst.

how much of a lift did you do and what company? I'm thinkng of going pretty slight on my 1500 and running (1' - 1.5" and 275/65/18 tires)

I used rough country last time. I honestly dont recall before that. I like a pure leveled look so I used a 2.5". You should be able to run a 32" tire without rubbing or trimming anything with a 2" leveling kit.

I did a 2" level on my Dodge, but it still had that front-down rake. I put 2" drop shackles on the back, levelled it right out.

If you're worried about the front end geometry, you could always drop the rear to make it sit straight. It seems like most of the trucks, especially the HDs, sit so high now already.

Check into bilstein adjustable shocks. I just leveled my F150 and everything I researched this is much better than the spacers. It rides and looks much better now.

My '18 4Runner has coilover shocks in the front, so adjustable shocks would work. I put Bilstein 5100s all around and set the fronts at 0.85", which levels the vehicle. I replaced the stock tires with factory sized BFG AT tires at the same time. I love the look and still have the factory ride.

Check into bilstein adjustable shocks. I just leveled my F150 and everything I researched this is much better than the spacers. It rides and looks much better now.
I agree with this. Been using the Bilsteins for years and have been super happy with them.

I had a leveling kit put on my 2014 2500 HD Denali, had it aligned right after. No issues 138,000 plus on it!

I have had one on my F150 almost since day one. I had to replace ball joints around 85,000 miles. Whether it influenced that or not, I have no idea. Without it, I probably would have ripped the front bumper off a few times, so there’s a bit of a give-and-take there
That’s mostly because it’s a ford. I’ve been a ford my my entire life. But one downfall with them is the breaks and ball joints.

2009 Silverado 103,000 miles still no issues at all with anything you mentioned or anything else for that matter. And I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here but 40-50 thousand of those miles are brutal terrain miles! So I see no negative effects from installing it.

2" Rough Country Leveling kit and 33" tires on 2018 Ford F150. 25,000 miles, no issues yet.

Get the adjustable Bilstein shocks, either 5100 or 5160 series, and avoid the spacer kits. I did it with my Tundra and am very happy with it, the aftermarket shocks are far better than stock...

Curious to hear about the quality of ride with those Bilsteins. I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior and that was the route I was going to go, but a buddy said when he put them on his ford the ride turned super stiff and rough.

Back