Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Any Issues with Leveling Kits???

Hey guys,

I've been debating installing a 1.5" leveling kit on my 2013 silverado since the day I got it. However, I've gotten a lot of mixed messages about the pros and cons of a leveling kit.

I was considering a rough country leveling spacer kit, but a buddy of mine told me it's hard on the CV joints and other front end parts. Other people have told me it doesn't have any negative effects.

Now I'm here for the HT veterans to tell me your experience/thoughts on leveling kits. Do you run them? Why or why not?

Your buddy is right. Level kits are good, but a spacer is the wrong way to do it, especially for a truck being taken off road. Spacer only kits are changing the geometry of you upper control arms and you are start wrecking ball joints, risking that joint separating and ultimately that tire basically falling off. I installed a Cognito level kit, with upper control arms, and fox shocks on my 2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 110,000 miles in and no issues. Do it the right way, grease everything once in a while and you wont have anything to worry about.

Remember that the "stiffness" is associated with sprint rate. Your shocks just dampen how much the spring rebounds.

Spacer kits are usually not a big deal as long as it isn't much more than 1/2 inch or so because it doesn't affect the angle of your upper and lower control arm (ifs) in relation to each other and your upper and lower ball joint still has room to move without binding. When you go bigger you need ball joints with more range like uni-ball joints, also (with 4x4 toyotas at least) differential drop to compensate for your front drive axle higher angle. You will start going through CV boots like crazy. Not too expensive but it's more stuff to worry about.

Rough country is cheap and ok if all you do with your rig is get groceries. But the shocks are very low end and usually small diameter. When you use them on rough dirt roads, they can't keep up with the demand you're throwing at them and they get hot and are basically ineffective. Also being made of cheaper material, they can't take a beating like quality brands.

Different set ups work for different rigs whether it's independent front suspension with struts, coil overs, or torsion springs (Chevy); or solid axle front suspension with leaf springs, coil overs, or remote shock. Look on some forums related to your rig and you can usually find a suspension rundown for options. Remember to do what works for you and your situation. Many people put $5k into a rig when you really only needed to put $1.5k

I go with the saying "buy once, cry once." If you go cheap, you with be shopping again sooner than If you buy something quality.

This is my set up right now. Not cheap, but the shocks can be rebuilt and uni-ball joints can be changed for a much lower price than buying new everything. Also tunable and fully adjustable.
20171007_151417.jpg

I have pretty much worn out my stock shocks. I’m thinking of going to the Bilsteins as suggested above many times.

I know as much about vehicle suspensions as I do turkey hunting- not much.

So what ALL do I need to replace my stock suspension? Looking online it’s confusing.
What are all the parts and what ballpark price am I looking at?

2013 F150 Extended cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back