Any experience with ground jerky sticks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
This year is locked up and most everyone has submitted for their draws. When it gets close to 2020, I got one plus his family going to hunt the big horns up north. Once I talk to him to be sure he's OK with it, then I will be looking to build a steady hunting group to go well into the future before it's too late. I am 63 now the like Randy says in his movies, the time will come when I can no climb those hills. So if you are serious, shoot me a PM and I will make contact when I start talking about building the hunting group. Ideally, I want a group of about 6 plus their immediate family that wants to come.

Next year we are planning on the Big Horns up north (south for you) which will include bear.
Sorry, I missed this. I have pretty good thing going in SoDak with my old man. Im not quite ready to part with that tradition. Thanks for the offer. The "sign up" comment was towards the cooking you were talking about.

I am tellin ya, these sausage makers, grinders and the mixer I bought a couple years ago are the best investment I ever made. I have never used the gun though.

No pictures but the batch turned out great! Thanks for all of the input. I have a few small tweaks I'll do next time.

I have a cannon and have never actually tried slicing whole muscle for jerky. The ground method does work great though. I typically have my grind mixed with 12% beef tallow, and while it still comes out tasting fine with a good texture, the jerky still holds a lot of that fat and can feel greasy. These batches should probably be sotred in the refrigerator. On the plus side, that fat content gives you a much larger window between being sufficiently dehydrated and turning into what are essentially "meat chips". The last few years I've set aside a portion of unmixed grind just for the sake of making jerky with. You just have to make sure you've got your dehydrating time sorted out proper.

Back