Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Any experience with ground jerky sticks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38069

My Father in law bought me a jerky gun and I'm looking to break it in. Now I'm usually a whole muscle thinly sliced guy. I'm new to the ground meat approach. Doesn't seem too complex but I would appreciate some pointers!

Boomer

I love doing mine with the ground meat. My gun has 2 attachments, thin/flat and a snack stick size. I did a few batches of thin strips, which were pretty good, but my last batch I did the snack stick with no casings and they were a huge hit. That’s all I’ll do from now on. I buy a LEM jerky kit for 5lbs of burger, which ends up fitting perfect on racks in my Traeger. Set it at 180 for 5-6 hours and you’re done.

I love doing mine with the ground meat. My gun has 2 attachments, thin/flat and a snack stick size. I did a few batches of thin strips, which were pretty good, but my last batch I did the snack stick with no casings and they were a huge hit. That’s all I’ll do from now on. I buy a LEM jerky kit for 5lbs of burger, which ends up fitting perfect on racks in my Traeger. Set it at 180 for 5-6 hours and you’re done.
Thanks. I have both attachments as well. I prefer the snack stick style. I'll give it a try.

I'll do mine with ground 4 out of 5 times these days. It's just too quick and easy.
And still so delicious...

I have dried it the same day as mixing, but I prefer to let it sit in fridge overnight and mix a few different times before drying. I think you get a more consistent flavor throughout.

I'll do mine with ground 4 out of 5 times these days. It's just too quick and easy.
And still so delicious...

I have dried it the same day as mixing, but I prefer to let it sit in fridge overnight and mix a few different times before drying. I think you get a more consistent flavor throughout.
I like this idea. Thanks, Festus!

Let me know if you need a pro staffer.

I do mostly ground with great results. I've liked the thin flat style better, but should probably give the round sticks a shot again after reading these comments.

Mix in the seasoning well. When you think you have it all mixed in mix a little longer. Pretty fool proof using a store bought seasoning like high mountain and a dehydrator

Mix in the seasoning well. When you think you have it all mixed in mix a little longer. Pretty fool proof using a store bought seasoning like high mountain and a dehydrator
Do you mix while the meat is semi-frozen?

I've always been happy with hi mountain seasonings with both whole muscle and ground meat. and mixing while partially frozen. Run through the grinder on a coarse plate, mix in seasonings and mix the living hell out of it, then run through again on a fine plate.

I've always been happy with hi mountain seasonings with both whole muscle and ground meat. and mixing while partially frozen. Run through the grinder on a coarse plate, mix in seasonings and mix the living hell out of it, then run through again on a fine plate.
Good to know. I have 4 lbs thawing inthe fridge. Im giving Cabelas maple jalapeno a try. Thanks.

One advice from someone who has made jerky and sausage most of my life, once you have it all mixed up, let it sit in the refrigerator so the spices kind of marinate the meat and brings out the flavor. I am not fond of ground meat for jerky but I do like it for snack sticks.

I also keep everything that touches meat ice cold, which means I put all the metal pieces for my grinder or sausage stuffier in the freezer for an hour or so. Meat gets too warm, it's not as easy to work with than if you have it semi-frozen.

Back