antelope rifles

tnctcb

i will be hunting with my son in wyoming this year and it will be the first time for both of us. i was thinking of taking a 270 for me and a 243 for him and bringing a 308 as a back up just in case. we will be hunting with a guide who has offered to give my son a cow elk for only the price of the tag. he can handle a 7wsm but is very adept with the 308. will the first rifles be good choices for lopes and what do you think about the 308 for elk. we will be there for a week and hunting varmints and birds so i will need to save space as i figure we will probablly be taking 6 guns plus gear

243 is excellent for Antelope, here are 1 by 6mm, 2 by 243, and 1 by 25-06. I shoot the 6mm loaded with 85gr. hollow points and use it from gophers to deer.
f7ff6a96.jpg

The .308 will be fine for cow elk. I'd stick with 165 to 180 gr bullets. Lopes are easy to kill, only problem is getting close enough. The first one is easy, but after they hear a few guns go off, they start getting spooky.
Sounds like a fun hunt, good luck.

That is a great deal Tim. Double lunger side shots are pretty much a given with the smaller calibers. Hope you go for the elk and your guide helps him get one...That would be great...

Both the 308 and the 270 will be fine for a cow elk. If he is good with the 308, then you should not hesitate to use it. I personally have had some bad experiences with the 308, but I have also killed plenty with it.

I know one guy who ONLY hunts with the 270, and never has trouble anchoring Elk. Not my choice, but it works fine for him.

Best of luck to both of you, and if the guide will give you the Cow elk for the price of the tag, you should do it for your son. An awesome oppportunity/

Just be sure to use the heaviest bullets your gun shoots accurately, 1_p, and limit yourself to broadside shots. You should be ok. ;)

Actually, I would make sure to poke it through the ribs. Hit any bone in the front shoulders and you'll likely not have any front shoulders to cut and wrap.

Oak

Actually, I would make sure to poke it through the ribs. Hit any bone in the front shoulders and you'll likely not have any front shoulders to cut and wrap.
Would that be a bad thing?? ;) I'll admit I'm pretty interested to see if the bad rap pronghorns get on taste is true.

:eek: The bad RAP that antelope get is more of a hunters rap! You need to remember that ti can be 95* when you hunt "lopes" you need to get the meat COOL FAST and keep it cool till you get it in the freezer. It is beter if you shot them in the morning Befor there ran alover the country side. Some people like to debone and skin it in the feild, I dont, to much junk and bugs and you'l have to trim off more when you get home! If you can I like to dump it in a creek or river and let it cool! :rolleyes:

Tim,

Sounds like you're going to have a great time!

IMO the 243 and 270 are perfect for lopes. I like shooting sticks for open country.

The 308 with 165 or 180 grain bullets will work fine on elk.

Antelope meat is the best, Ive gotten 2 here in AZ and even april and the kids will eat it.

like d4570 says meat needs to be cooled down fast or it will spoil, during antelope season here its sometimes 105º+
.243 is a perfect round for antelope.
Ive killed a few elk with .308's as well I used 165 grain bullets

Delw

Well, I like antelope meat as well, but only in chili or mixed in a 1:1 ratio with elk meat. I shot my goat a few years ago in the snow and it was cold. Shot killed it instantly, but it was still too gamey to eat like I would elk or deer. He was an old one though, so I figure that contributed somewhat.

Tim

Tim!!!

God Man, Why are you asking THESE guys??? :confused:

Take the experience of Col. Craig Boddington (Big Whig at Peterson's Hunting Magazine). He went to WY a few years ago and got a Goat with one shot. About 250-300 yds, if I remember. Then went one to nail a Monster Elk!

What did HE use?
.375H&H Mag, 270 Noslers!
fight.gif
:D
fight.gif
:D
Practice ALOT in the prone position!!

i think a 375 h&h would be tough on a 12 year old but thanks anyway dwayne. i thought you liked that kid :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back