Antelope Recipes

WV Hunter

How about listing some of your favorite Antelope recipes. I have a freezer full I need to put to good use. :D

Thanks

WV

Grilled on a disposable grill at Elk camp is the best I've had so far. The most efficient method I have found is have your hunting buddies talk you into killing a baby and eat the whole thing in one sitting.;)

Not a bad way to cook antelope...other than over-cooking it.

Antelope steaks on the grill is about as good as it gets...never have had one that was tough or tasted bad either.

I'll take antelope over elk, moose, or deer anyday.

I agree with Buzz...I've never had a bad lope. I'll leave some of the bigger muscles whole and smoke them sometimes, but most of the meat goes on the grill.

I try and do a few different things to change it up, such as antelope kabobs, strogenoff with antelope meat, and also stir fry. Like said before don't over cook it! It is good on the grill, basting frequently with butter and beer.

CABugle

Grilled on a disposable grill at Elk camp is the best I've had so far. The most efficient method I have found is have your hunting buddies talk you into killing a baby and eat the whole thing in one sitting.;)

Haha, that was killer stuff.

Grill you antelope steaks to medium,

in a frying pan fry one onion finely chopped in some olive oil (bacon fat is better)

When the onion gets nearly carmelized pour in a glass of red wine (good wine that you would drink)
Open a small jar of blackberry or boysenberry perserves or jam and put into pan with the wine and onion. Let the jam melt, stirring constantly.
Salt and Pepper to taste. run two cloves of garlic through a press and into the sauce.
one half teaspoon of dried thyme and one half teaspoon of ground sage.
Last a pat of butter and let sauce reduce until slightly thickened.

On a plate place a antelope steak, (properly rested), some rosemary roasted red or yukon gold potatoes and drizzle the sauce over both. Pour a good beer or rest of your wine and enjoy.

This sauce works for duck as well.

Nemont

Last edited:
I think Speed Goat is about my favorite... I think the folks who get bad meat leave the hide on to let it age.... DON'T DO THAT! Drag it to the nearest fence post and rip the hide off. Then wash is off and cool it down. A whole goat fits in a big cooler. Don't let it set in water in the cooler though get it cool then make sure it stays dry. Cook and Eat.....:)

This is the best recipe I have ever found for wild game stakes of any kind. Just like any meat, if you over cook it you ruin the flavor and I agree with konasage, cool your meat quickly and keep it clean. Place your steaks in marinade made with the following items.
1/2 cup steak sauce
1/2 cup balsalmic viniagrette
1 tsp. minced garlic
1tsp. dried oregano

Cook on the grill on medium/high heat and pour 1/2 of the marinade on the steaks on the first side, after you flip the steaks pour the rest of the marinade on the steaks.

I have tried a ton of recipes over the last 20 years and this is my favorite.

Best fajitas I have ever had ! Simple !

Best fajitas I have ever had ( even at a retaurant) made from antelope

Ingredients
1.) 6 backstrap steaks cut thin (1/8") strips
2.) 1 small bottle of Caribean Jerk Marinade (I used a generic brand)
3.) 3 green peppers (sliced into thin strips)
4.) 1 medium white onion (sliced into thin strips)
5.) salt, pepper, sour cream as desired (I prefer the grinding containers of peppercorn and sea salt.)
6.) 8 medium sized fajita wraps
7.) olive oil

Note: make sure the window is open and the fan is on, you may want to light some good candles because it will fill your kitchen with pepper and onion smell. This recipe is enough for about 3 people, maybe 4.

Directions
1.) Slice the backstraps thin and place in a bag with the marinade. Let stand in the refrigerator for atleast 6 hours
2.) In a large skillet turn the burner on high for about a few minutes until the pan is very hot, coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil and place the onions and peppers in the pan and salt and pepper to taste. Cover (uncover and flip every couple minutes).
3.) Once the onions and peppers start to blacken slide them over to one side of the pan and pull the steak out of the bag (don't pour the steak with marinade into the pan). cover and strir the steak about every minute for about 4 or 5 minutes (flip the onions and peppers about every 2 minutes).
4.) Stir together, remove from heat and drain most of the liquid (I prefer to drain it so the wraps don't get saugy).
5.) Serve on wraps and add sour cream if desired.

My Wyoming antelope were cooked a little differently...

I took the tags and dredged them in some seasoned flour while I heated up some oil in a frying pan...put each tag in the hot oil until golden brown and flipped them carefully...drain on paper towels and enjoy with a little BBQ sauce and some chalula with an ice cold Budweiser

TASTY ANTELOPE STEAK MEDALLIONS

1. Tenderize / pound out meat, if necessary.

2. Marinate meat in buttermilk overnight.

3. Prepare flour dredge with paprika, ground pepper, Alpine Touch seasoning, regular salt, touch of Emeril’s seasoning if available, and / or your favorite meat seasonings.

4. Dredge meat in flour mixture and fry in large pan in canola oil at medium to high heat.

Enjoy a fine meal provided by the bountiful lands of pronghorn country!

Nothing unique to antelope for me. Aways taste great, cook same as elk.

No need to tederize or marinade. Just spice as you like and grill, saute, or bake.

Never brought one home that tasted gamey or bad as some guys report. But always skin them immediately.

This works great with antelope due to their tenderness but it is good with any game meat...

Red Curry Antelope

1 pound antelope steaks, cubed
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1" fresh ginger
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped

In a large skillet, heat peanut oil on med heat. Add ginger and saute one minute. Add curry paste and brown sugar, saute until bubbly, Add meat and brown. Reduce heat and add coconut milk. Simmer 45 minutes then add fresh basil and serve over rice or Yoki Soba noodles.

Try it and you will not be disappointed! :) I always double or triple it.....

My Wyoming antelope were cooked a little differently...

I took the tags and dredged them in some seasoned flour while I heated up some oil in a frying pan...put each tag in the hot oil until golden brown and flipped them carefully...drain on paper towels and enjoy with a little BBQ sauce and some chalula with an ice cold Budweiser

I should know better than to read this while drinking coke in the am @ work!! Fizzing coke in the nose burns! :D

Like others have mentoned I havnt ever had bad pronghorn.I like it grilled.Another good way is flouerd and fried in butter with freeze dried chives,its damn good that way.I havnt tried Johns method yet but I have a couple wisconsin buck tags that I havnt filled yet.

Antelope meat is great. We use it just like we do any other meat. We don't do anything special to wild meat. We do like trying different marinades, though. Lots of good ideas here. It is always hard to beat the bacon wrap.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back