Yeti GOBOX Collection

spaghetti/pizza sauce recipe

Cast iron skillet + tiny splash of olive oil + washed whole (unpeeled) tomatoes. Cook on medium heat til the tomatoes are cooked through, pour into a bowl and run the stick blender through it until you can't see chunks of skin anymore, then pour it back into the skillet. Crush as many cloves of garlic as you think you can handle (6 or 7 cloves at least for a large skillet full) and set to the side, add to the tomatoes chopped fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme and basil, along with a dash of salt and cracked pepper. When the herbs have started to cook add the garlic and simmer away until it's the texture and thickness that you want. Pour into canning jars and process to seal or eat right away. It's almost mandatory to have a loaf of fresh bread rising while you're putting up food, so then you can sample whatever it is on a steaming-fresh-out-of-the-oven-and-covered-in-butter slice of bread.
I actually have a skillet of tomatoes cooking on the stove right now. Need to get the bread dough kneaded!! :)

Cast iron skillet + tiny splash of olive oil + washed whole (unpeeled) tomatoes. Cook on medium heat til the tomatoes are cooked through, pour into a bowl and run the stick blender through it until you can't see chunks of skin anymore, then pour it back into the skillet. Crush as many cloves of garlic as you think you can handle (6 or 7 cloves at least for a large skillet full) and set to the side, add to the tomatoes chopped fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme and basil, along with a dash of salt and cracked pepper. When the herbs have started to cook add the garlic and simmer away until it's the texture and thickness that you want. Pour into canning jars and process to seal or eat right away. It's almost mandatory to have a loaf of fresh bread rising while you're putting up food, so then you can sample whatever it is on a steaming-fresh-out-of-the-oven-and-covered-in-butter slice of bread.
I actually have a skillet of tomatoes cooking on the stove right now. Need to get the bread dough kneaded!! :)
This is exactly what I’m doing, except in a pot. I have some San marzanos growing like weeds. My neighbors better like Italian.

If you’re really patient, you can make some tomato paste with it as well. Just cook it down or bake it until the water comes out. Good for Spanish rice or if you need to thicken up your spaghetti sauce.

Edit: and if anyone tells you you’re using too much garlic, you just tell them they need to grow up.

+1 on the blanching. I stopped removing the seeds before pressure canning marinara sauce,, Still tastes great with 75% less work and ended up with 50% more sauce than the seed removal method.
Last batch I canned was 120 lbs of Roma tomatoes, I tend to take the mellow approach on seasoning. Adjusting the flavor to particular meals is easier at the time of use than canning 20+ quarts seasoned specifically for pizza/pasta/chilis/ etc.

Pressure Canning recipes are like reloading data, choose your source wisely and stay within the ph parameters..

This is exactly what I’m doing, except in a pot. I have some San marzanos growing like weeds. My neighbors better like Italian.

If you’re really patient, you can make some tomato paste with it as well. Just cook it down or bake it until the water comes out. Good for Spanish rice or if you need to thicken up your spaghetti sauce.

Edit: and if anyone tells you you’re using too much garlic, you just tell them they need to grow up.
It's been a good year for San Marzanos :)
The more garlic, the better!

Our family loves this. Throw all the tomatoes in a blender and purée. Then separate the seeds thru a stainless steel cone and pestle. Reduce it down on the stove to about 2/3 to 1/2 volume. Then mix in this seasoning and can. It is really good and simple.
IMG_2287.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back