Caribou Gear

Grassfed Flat for Smoked Brisket

There's no harm in leaving it uncovered for a night in the fridge, it allows the outside of the meat to dry, it's called the 'pellicle', and the smoke flavor will adhere more readily to it. It's standard practice for smoking fish too.
But for fish it's after the brining process. For the brisket I'd be worried about the salt pulling moisture out and then too much evaporating in the fridge before it could be reabsorbed.

@Addicting and @WildWill nailed it.

Sauce is for people with something to hide - don’t be that guy.

You’ll steam it in its own juices with the foil, just be aware you’ll also loose some bark in the process.

The longer you let it rest, the better off you’ll be. Wrap it in many towels and put it in your best cooler, and fill up any void over the top with more towels.

my thoughts on sauces and butter were primarily to help keep a lean flat moist.

but yes, sauce is questionable and objectionable to add on a wrap, no doubt, i was mostly curious.

i'm taking notes and will be following much of what is said here.

but i'm gonna add butter no matter what you blowhards say

Salt, pepper, butter are okay.

Leave the fruit juice away and glorified ketchup (BBQ sauce) in the cabinet....

IMHO the longer it takes to get 205, the better, and the longer you can let it rest, the better.

Follow me for more expert brisket cooking advice

If you're at a higher altitude, above 5000', remember that water evaporates at 203, not 212 like it does in Houston. I adjust my temps accordingly when I cook a brisket. I still go by feel, but I also start checking earlier than I did when I lived closer to sea level.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back