MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Anybody have a good jerky recipe for the oven?

Southern Elk

My son wants to make some jerky out of his deer and I’ve never done it before. Anybody have a good recipe for the oven?

I slice whole muscles into strips and use Hi Mountain brand seasoning. We like the Cajun flavor but I double or even triple the spice portion to kick up the heat.

I like this recipe and it has oven directions too. I usually do 200 and pop the door open slightly so there is airflow. You want to dry, not cook the jerky. Keep your eye on it, when it looks and feels like jerky (dry, pliable, not brittle) it’s done.

I always liked the twist tear to tell when it’s done

Salt pepper and garlic is a good simple base. If you like teriyaki, soak it in some soy sauce and a little worcestershire. For a few hours. Set the oven as low as it will go and start checking it after a couple hours. The thickness of cut and how wet you leave the meat if you marinated it makes a being difference on how long it takes to dry.

Long time jerky eater, first time maker here.

I just finished mixing up about 20lbs of elk in different batches that are marinating in the fridge. Two are Hank Shaw’s and pretty easy to find online. One is the chipotle (which has apparently won some recipe awards) and the other is his pemmican. Neither was tricky to make the seasoning for. The prior is whole cut strips, the latter has been ground and will be going into a jerky gun I found for $20 at Sportsman’s. Worth a gander if you want to try something beyond the packet (I also made a batch of that in Jamaican jerk tonight too).

I use the Hi Mountain cure and season it with whatever flavors sound the best at the time. S,P,G is obviously an easy favorite. Or just season it like you would a steak or a roast. I do feel like the curing process and 1/4” thick strips yields the best results. Oven as low as it will go, with the door propped open with a wooden spoon.

I just finished mixing up about 20lbs of elk in different batches that are marinating in the fridge. Two are Hank Shaw’s and pretty easy to find online. One is the chipotle (which has apparently won some recipe awards) and the other is his pemmican. Neither was tricky to make the seasoning for. The prior is whole cut strips, the latter has been ground and will be going into a jerky gun I found for $20 at Sportsman’s. Worth a gander if you want to try something beyond the packet (I also made a batch of that in Jamaican jerk tonight too).
The pemmican is more like meh-mican. Avoid it. Edible, but I’d have absolutely bailed on any trapping expedition if this was all they had to eat back then.

I’ll second the Hank Shaw Chipotle recipe. I dry mine in the smoker at low temp vs. the oven, but that marinade pairs really well with game meat IMO.

I was googling venison jerky recipes this fall and one of the top responses was a recipe on here by @Bambistew . I started it in the smoker but finished it in the oven and would say it's as good as I've ever had.

Copied from "ISO The Ever Elusive Perfect Venison Jerky Recipe" thread since I don't have technological ability to post link to thread....

I've made a lot of venison jerky over the years 100s and 100s of pounds worth. I make a lot more biltong now, but I'm at about 50/50 jerky/biltong. Biltong is even easier. The meat is 3/4-1" thick so less slicing. I like the different flavor as well.

This jerky recipe is a hit with everyone that eats it, I've made it since I was a kid. I used to make an entire deer into jerky, now its about 1/4 of all my meat is jerky/biltong. It's nothing fancy and the worcester/soy mix is pretty common. My little kids love it, but I don't go to spicy for them. I've tried a bunch of store bought versions and don't really care for them. High Mountain is pretty good, but I exclude the nitrates, otherwise they taste like ham or salami or barf, Oberto "jerky." I mostly use them with ground meat/sticks if use it. I usually just make my own seasoning mix though.

10lbthin sliced meat (can use with ground, meat as well)
3TbspLawry's salt
4tspgarlic powder
4tspfresh ground pepper (cut back if you like less pepper)
0.25cupbrown sugar
4tspsmoked paprika
4tsponion powder
0.5tspTabasco (more if you like it hot)
1cupLow sodium soy
0.5cupWorcestershire sauce
1tspliquid smoke (exclude if smoked)
Marinade for 2-3 days, mix/turn a couple times
Place on dehydrator racks and sprinkle on fresh ground pepper if you like it hot, press it on
I smoke them lightly for about an hour and then either finish in the smoker, or put them in the dehydrator. I just put my dehydrator racks in the smoker. Note the racks will make other foods "smokey"

I was googling venison jerky recipes this fall and one of the top responses was a recipe on here by @Bambistew . I started it in the smoker but finished it in the oven and would say it's as good as I've ever had.
Timely... I've got 20lbs of moose defrosting in the sink right now to go on the smoker this weekend. Can't wait!

I do it pretty similar to @Bambistew Recipe above but I never really make it the same every time. I just adjust on the go whether I want it hotter, sweeter or whatever.

I’ll second the Hank Shaw Chipotle recipe. I dry mine in the smoker at low temp vs. the oven, but that marinade pairs really well with game meat IMO.
That one is real dang good! Got my last batch going right now, then I am DONE with processing for 2023.

Not a bad idea to use that marinade more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back