Best burger recipe

my wife affectionately complains that the pellet grill has entirely ruined our ability to enjoy going out to steak restaurants.

except texas roadhouse ;)

Although they school the waitstaff to pitch the entire menu, I don't mind TRoadhouse...I like the bread and honey butter & I'm almost deaf

There food is good. Especially for a chain but I don't think I'd put there steaks anywhere near tops.

certainly the steaks are nowhere near the top. but they're yummy.

when we go out for good steaks it's for our anniversary at a butchery and market restaurant in boulder and these days it costs us north of $400 dollars all said and done. that's where the unmatched steaks are. aboslutely lightyears better than what i can produce at home. good thing we budget for an annual anniversary dinner.

t road is just unmatched for a well priced delicious glutton fest. gorging on 2,000 calories of roadhouse rolls dripping in butter, then munching down a cactus blossom, chomping a caesar or house salad with blue cheese then chewing down a 16 oz ribeye washed down with a makers mark old fashioned is about as enjoyable a time as one can have. sometimes, i wonder if it's almost more enjoyable than getting the 14 dollar old fashioneds with woodford reserve and 260 dollar 60 day dry aged 32 oz ribeye to share at the yuppy restaurant.

for the same reasons i'll never be above red robin, big macs, taco bell, papa johns or pizza hut. if it tastes good to you and you have a good time, go enjoy it every now and then.

Last edited:
Of the countless times I've been to or thru Amarillo, I've never driven by The Big Texan on I40 during open hours that it's parking wasn't slammed. Never stopped.
1708538802411.png

you temptress....

is that a two person challenge or a one person challenge?
one...

The landmark Big Texan restaurant offers its “72-ounce Challenge” daily to anyone who can eat the massive steak, plus fixings, in under an hour. Those who can’t do so must pay $72 for the meal.

certainly the steaks are nowhere near the top. but they're yummy.

when we go out for good steaks it's for our anniversary at a butchery and market restaurant in boulder and these days it costs us north of $400 dollars all said and done. that's where the unmatched steaks are. aboslutely lightyears better than what i can produce at home. good thing we budget for an annual anniversary dinner.

t road is just unmatched for a well priced delicious glutton fest. gorging on 2,000 calories of roadhouse rolls dripping in butter, then munching down a cactus blossom, chomping a caesar or house salad with blue cheese then chewing down a 16 oz ribeye washed down with a makers mark old fashioned is about as enjoyable a time as one can have. sometimes, i wonder if it's almost more enjoyable than getting the 14 dollar old fashioneds with woodford reserve and 260 dollar 60 day dry aged 32 oz ribeye to share at the yuppy restaurant.

for the same reasons i'll never be above red robin, big macs, taco bell, papa johns or pizza hut. if it tastes good to you and you have a good time, go enjoy it every now and then.
Red Robin is good food. As far as that high dollar steaks you described that's insane. I've never been to one of those restaraunts or markets. I can't fathom paying something like that. I'd suggest looking into buying a 1/4 or 1/2 steer from a small rancher. One that doesn't advertise would be where I'd look. I think you'd be pleasantly suprised.

Edit- I misread I thought you were paying $400 for the steaks at a market. Regardless I still would advise you to try this.

Reactions: JEL
Red Robin is good food. As far as that high dollar steaks you described that's insane. I've never been to one of those restaraunts or markets. I can't fathom paying something like that. I'd suggest looking into buying a 1/4 or 1/2 steer from a small rancher. One that doesn't advertise would be where I'd look. I think you'd be pleasantly suprised.

if you ever get a chance to try some top end restaurant dry aged steaks the price starts to make sense. Yes, on some levels it’s not worth it because you can get 80% of the yum for 30% of the cost elsewhere. But as a rare treat it’s really something to behold.

My house rule is no beef enters the building while there is wild game in the freezer. And as ive become a better hunter it’s effectively ruled ever being able to go in on half or quarter cows… if for no other reason than a lack of room.

if you ever get a chance to try some top end restaurant dry aged steaks the price starts to make sense. Yes, on some levels it’s not worth it because you can get 80% of the yum for 30% of the cost elsewhere. But as a rare treat it’s really something to behold.

My house rule is no beef enters the building while there is wild game in the freezer. And as ive become a better hunter it’s effectively ruled ever being able to go in on half or quarter cows… if for no other reason than a lack of room.
Oh, I'm sure it's good. I just suggested it because you seem like someone who appreciates a good cut of meat regardless deer or beef. And for the price I think you'd be pleased. On another note who here likes Ruth Chris? What a disappointment that was.

If I were hunting elk on the regular I probably woukd only get a 1/4 at most but 2 to 4 deer per year on average doesn't really go very far at all.

If I were hunting elk on the regular I probably woukd only get a 1/4 at most but 2 to 4 deer per year on average doesn't really go very far at all.

Once we have more kids and they’re not babies and infants I’m either gonna have to up my elk game or start buying half cows for sure lol

Once we have more kids and they’re not babies and infants I’m either gonna have to up my elk game or start buying half cows for sure lol
In a year we go through 1/2 steer 1 hog and I'd say average 2 to 4 deer ( or antelope whatever), but we also make an awful lot of sausage from the deer. Boys are going to raise some chicken this year from butchering so unless we eat out nothing really comes from the store meat wise.

In a year we go through 1/2 steer 1 hog and I'd say average 2 to 4 deer ( or antelope whatever), but we also make an awful lot of sausage from the deer. Boys are going to raise some chicken this year from butchering so unless we eat out nothing really comes from the store meat wise.
Sounds like you need to shoot a moose or elk every year 😂

The first time I grilled burgers on my recteq pellet grill, I was disappointed and missed my propane for that. Once I changed my cooking method to a lower temp to start and then finishing at higher temp like I mentioned earlier, i’m really happy with how they turn out.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back