MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another levergun on the bench

If it were me, I'd go with a recoil pad, action cleaned, re blue and refinish the wood in an oil finish and leave it at that. Those old classics are classic for a reason.

Wishing out loud here. Rechamber to 308mx, 7:08 if it can handle the pressure, otherwise 7:30 Waters. Octagon? Shorten the magazine tube to just a few inches ahead of the forearm. Tru Glo front sight, peep or ghost ring rear on rail, low rise see through mounts, long eye relief pistol or shotgun scope, Scout mounted (old Widefields are toot sweet). Case harden receiver. Larger loop, improve trigger, extended hammer spur, delete button safety if so equipped. Slimmed forend w slight beavertail. Brass tacks tastefully arrayed on furniture. . .

Wishing out loud here. Rechamber to 308mx, 7:08 if it can handle the pressure, otherwise 7:30 Waters. Octagon? Shorten the magazine tube to just a few inches ahead of the forearm. Tru Glo front sight, peep or ghost ring rear on rail, low rise see through mounts, long eye relief pistol or shotgun scope, Scout mounted (old Widefields are toot sweet). Case harden receiver. Larger loop, improve trigger, extended hammer spur, delete button safety if so equipped. Slimmed forend w slight beavertail. Brass tacks tastefully arrayed on furniture. . .
I can't afford to watch this thread anymore

I think I need to start cruising pawn shops to find an old lever action I can send you :unsure:
CBC6C35F-DA5D-4172-8B7F-BB3FE9025D17.jpeg

I may have one sitting in the safe and this thread may end up costing me some money @p_ham . I stripped and then did a unique stain combo to the stock to give it a little aged feel and put a bigger lever. Definitely watching this with a close eye though

First rifle I ever bought was a used Marlin 336rc in 30.30. I was a sophomore in HS and thought it was the coolest thing ever, and i shot the absolute shit out of it. Core lokts were $7 a box and always in stock at Wally world .. last time it was fired it was in 2001 and put it away dirty.. I'd love to have it worked over and give it to my youngest for his 16th bday. He has a lever/wheel guns fetish and has asked to have it numerous times, I've never let him shoot it because there is a crack in the stock. The crack never bothered me until I had kids.....go figure. 20221008_224449.jpg20221008_224530.jpg20221008_224530.jpg

View attachment 243596

I may have one sitting in the safe and this thread may end up costing me some money @p_ham . I stripped and then did a unique stain combo to the stock to give it a little aged feel and put a bigger lever. Definitely watching this with a close eye though
You did a good job, that looks really nice!
You know where to find me when you're ready.

First rifle I ever bought was a used Marlin 336rc in 30.30. I was a sophomore in HS and thought it was the coolest thing ever, and i shot the absolute shit out of it. Core lokts were $7 a box and always in stock at Wally world .. last time it was fired it was in 2001 and put it away dirty.. I'd love to have it worked over and give it to my youngest for his 16th bday. He has a lever/wheel guns fetish and has asked to have it numerous times, I've never let him shoot it because there is a crack in the stock. The crack never bothered me until I had kids.....go figure. View attachment 243597View attachment 243598View attachment 243598
For being born in '52, that looks like its held up well. Where is the crack?

The MX rifles have a V thread whereas the standard rifles have a square thread. The V thread is a lot stronger and less prone to stretching or cracking at the root.
I've heard the 450Marlin guns are V thread also but haven't confirmed that.

7-08s pressure is too high.

I REALLY want to do a color case hardened rifle with a half-round barrel at some point.

I have the same rifle in the safe. It’s in pretty good condition but I wouldn’t mind a work over.
Sometimes all they need is a little bit of polishing and some trigger work to feel like a different gun.
I think you have figured out a way to make a 350 legend out of one for us!
Just need someone, perhaps from Indiana 😉, to sign up! Not on a Marlin though... now a 450BM..

I had a customer bring in a 1911 once in a plastic grocery bag set it on the counter and say, "I need help.". The usual customer service interaction went on how can I help you etc. He says," I took this apart and can't put it back together, can you and then can you clean it for me?". I looked to our new gun counter manager and he walked away. Before customer could dump bag on counter I stopped him thankfully. I explained that I didn't have the time to do so or the knowledge. He asked me very gruffly well what he was supposed to do. I politely handed him a business card for the gunsmith we used and wished him a great day.
Pretty wordy I know, that pic reminded me of that day. Basic field strip I can do. He had managed to disembowel this 1911.

I had a customer bring in a 1911 once in a plastic grocery bag set it on the counter and say, "I need help.". The usual customer service interaction went on how can I help you etc. He says," I took this apart and can't put it back together, can you and then can you clean it for me?". I looked to our new gun counter manager and he walked away. Before customer could dump bag on counter I stopped him thankfully. I explained that I didn't have the time to do so or the knowledge. He asked me very gruffly well what he was supposed to do. I politely handed him a business card for the gunsmith we used and wished him a great day.
Pretty wordy I know, that pic reminded me of that day. Basic field strip I can do. He had managed to disembowel this 1911.
I've had a couple basket case guns come through..They're always missing something.
I used to do autobody/ hot rod work, it was waaay worse when somebody brought in a car they took apart.

Back