Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Another levergun on the bench

I've had a couple basket case guns come through..They're always missing something.
I used to do autobody/ hot rod work, it was waaay worse when somebody brought in a car they took apart.
I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to hang out in a gun store that the old man worked in. It was owned by a gunsmith by the name of Andy Cannon. Any was also deputy sheriff. He let me come in and not just hang out with dad on weekends, but I got to handle anything I wanted that was on the shelf or in the counter. I watched people drop off guns for anything and everything it was just awesome to see them before and after.
I can't imagine what you have seen or the stories you could tell.

Love nice lever guns. My first rifle was a Glenfield 30-30 bought about 45 years ago from an auto parts store. Still have it and is an honored safe queen.

How about a octagonal barrel in 38-55, case hardened receiver, big loop, peep sight and some good, hand rubbed walnut stock/forend.

7-30 waters does sound cool, but it is already a bigger hole than that.
A cool cartridge for sure.

.223 bull Barrel?
No sir

Love nice lever guns. My first rifle was a Glenfield 30-30 bought about 45 years ago from an auto parts store. Still have it and is an honored safe queen.

How about a octagonal barrel in 38-55, case hardened receiver, big loop, peep sight and some good, hand rubbed walnut stock/forend.
That would make for a nice rifle!

Making a 375 JDJ? Wanted to do that myself
If I were doing a 375, it would be my 38-56imp wildcat. I was able to hit 2360fps with a 275gr Hammer during velocity testing. Need an 1895 for that though.
I thought I remembered seeing that the JDJ was designed for the Encore or Contender and the pressure was too high for the marlin?
20220525_150058.jpg

Do you CNC the profile or offset the tail stock?
I wish I had CNC! If it's a straight taper offsetting the tailstock works. For standard profiles I take a series of measurements down the length of the barrel and cut small steps that are filed and sanded to final shape. Profiling barrels sucks.

If I were doing a 375, it would be my 38-56imp wildcat. I was able to hit 2360fps with a 275gr Hammer during velocity testing. Need an 1895 for that though.
I thought I remembered seeing that the JDJ was designed for the Encore or Contender and the pressure was too high for the marlin?
View attachment 244438

I wish I had CNC! If it's a straight taper offsetting the tailstock works. For standard profiles I take a series of measurements down the length of the barrel and cut small steps that are filed and sanded to final shape. Profiling barrels sucks.
There’s a gunsmith I know who converts old 336s to 375 JDJs so I dunno. Your info is as good as mine

Setting the LOP and installing a pad.

I cut about 5/8" off to get the length right. When cutting stocks, wrap the wood in tape and use a sharp fine tooth blade. Let the saw cut and don't force it through. Locate the screw position and pre drill. Coat the screws in beeswax or soap. It will greatly reduce the force needed to run the screws back out.

Got the pad rough ground, it will be finish sanded while it's one the stock for a perfect fit.

20221017_195548.jpg20221017_195720.jpg20221017_195847.jpg20221017_200811.jpg20221017_204910.jpg

Last edited:
Have you any experience with Old Model 12s? My son has Great Grandpa’s and it’s in need of some love.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back