Another ELK DOWN !!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
Maybe in Utah ?

Don't know for sure... But I'm thinking so
wink.gif

Well.. NOT really sure... The message asked if I wanted to Help pack out an elk... then said "Just kidding", then "Just wanted to call someone"... So, that meant that either 1-pointer got one down and wanted to Ask me to help (Which being in Pocatello I might have gone over real quick but couldn't get back ahold of him) and said he was kidding about me coming over and helping or he just left a funny message and I missunderstood it..

You know how I don't get much ...
mad.gif

Moosie = ----------->>>>>>>>
confused.gif

elkgrin.gif

Hell, if I'd a known you where in Pokey I'd had you come down! Getting those bastiches out by yourself sucks.

This hunt had been a bit discouraging as I hadn't seen any cows, but 13 bulls (5 of them 6pts). When I got to the area on Sat. morning, the two roads I'd been using to access the area were closed, but one was still open to ATVs/Snowmobiles. Sorta ironic, yes? Sat. I saw four bulls, no cows. Sunday I spied some cows crossing at the top of a basin, of which I was at the bottom. I headed them off but couldn't get a shot, so I head across hill and spotted them going up the adjacent canyon wall. Laser read 309yds on the last in line, knelt shot. She stayed on her feet so I shot again and she rolled down the hill. This was about 2mi in from where I'd parked. I after gutting her, did you know the stomach is a highly pressurized organ that when ruptured will spew stuff quite a ways
eek.gif
, I dragged it down hill to a creek and realized it wasn't coming out whole. I boned half and hiked it out. A buddy from nearby got my messeage and we got the other half out via the ATV trail and his ATV.

I learned a few things elk hunting this weekend.

1. Elk (even cows) are much bigger than any whitetail I've been around.

2. An elk's stomach is a highly pressurized system when full. If ruptured it will shoot grass-goop up to 15' away.

3. Dragging an elk out whole by yourself is basically a no-go proposition

4. Hunt where friends are near to help out.

5. Find out about road closures early in the hunt!

Sorry, but I don't have any pics, I forgot the camera.
mad.gif

You used an ATV??!!
eek.gif
Sorry, I now have no respect for you.
tongue.gif
J/K, and congrats on your first elk. You've got it right about not dragging them out.
fight.gif

Oak

Congratulations, Tyler! I just had to laugh at the stomach rupturing...hee hee.
fight.gif
As for using an ATV to help haul it, well, you can take the kid out of the east but you can't take the east out of the kid.
wink.gif
As we say in the sticks, we're right proud of ya.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I had some doubts about posting the ATV portion of the story. But, using one on a legal, open trail seemed much better than another hike back in today to get the other half.

dg- You never know, I may be back in the East someday! You could only wish such thoughts!
wink.gif

Congrats to Ya. What ever you use is fine, it was you and no one else was there so there opinion don't count.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Congratulations 1 pointer !

Whatda ya mean ? Just throw that cow over your shoulder whole and walk out ( right )

My first deer, I had no idea about stomachs,
I just rolled him over and shoved my knife in to the hilt. After wipeing the crap off my face & pucking, it took me an hour to finish cleaning up the mess.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I learned a few things elk hunting this weekend.

1. Elk (even cows) are much bigger than any whitetail I've been around.

2. An elk's stomach is a highly pressurized system when full. If ruptured it will shoot grass-goop up to 15' away.

4. Hunt where friends are near to help out.

5. Find out about road closures early in the hunt!

Sorry, but I don't have any pics, I forgot the camera <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To complete 1-Ptr's education...

6. When shooting Cows, always aim at a calf. They are easier to pack out, and you still get plenty of meat...
biggrin.gif
(When shooting at Bulls, if it ain't big enough for the wall, shoot a spike....
wink.gif

7. If you forget to bring the camera, then make sure you tell the story that the Elk was 300+ Bull. Hell, we ain't gonna know, you might as well tell the story that way.

8. When you post the story, don't mention the ATV, unless directly asked.
wink.gif
cool.gif

And I am thinking I may have to call BS on this Elk story, kind of like the Bunny Wabbits I called you on, that you couldn't produce the pictures of...
shhh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1_pointer:

mad.gif
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like number 2 the best, I never knew that. Congradulations!!!
Quick Draw

Congrats 1 Pt. I think it`s great that you mentioned the atv, nothing wrong with being "honest" and it was "legal" them elk are way way to big to drag out, and you probably brought home more meat with the atv than if you had to bone the whole thing out, Good job.

'Gunner- Will pics of the burger I was up till 2am this morning grinding suffice?
wink.gif
I don't feel the need to show you photo proof, until you get enough confidence to post a mug shot!
biggrin.gif
Hell, I did and I'm FAT and UGLY! Or is that my wife?
fight.gif
What is said on Hunttalk stays on Hunttalk right??
eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> What is said on Hunttalk stays on Hunttalk right?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(For a price
wink.gif
)

Anyone that can't pack out a whole cow Deboned on their back is a PUSS
smile.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay