Yeti GOBOX Collection

Another deer age ?(if you don't mind)

okie archer

Just curious what you think. Northeast Oklahoma. Both early season pre rut pics.
Deer facing left is 2022. Deer facing right 2023.
Same deer.
Screenshot_20230928-081604.pngScreenshot_20230929-204919.png

To each their own… but I don’t understand why the number of birthdays a deer has had, should factor into whether or not you take him. If he appeals to you, then shoot him 🤷‍♂️

To each their own… but I don’t understand why the number of birthdays a deer has had, should factor into whether or not you take him. If he appeals to you, then shoot him 🤷‍♂️
I can't speak for everyone but for me it's about letting the buck reach it's full potential in regards to antler size. If I kill a 3 year old buck with a nice rack obviously that deer will never grow to what he could have. I like big racks on deer period and in my case I hunt on private land so the odds are greatly increased that the deer will live long enough to grow to a mature size.
So if a deer just doesn't have the genes to grow a big rack but still reaches an age of say 5 years old, that deer is still a trophy by the fact that it lived that long without getting killed. So I'm willing to pass on younger deer and take the chance on the deer leaving the property and getting killed because I won't be satisfied anyway by killing a young buck.
Like I said, I can't speak for everyone else.

I'd say 4 for both. I'm right there with you anymore the age means as much as the horns to me. I also love having a sanctuary type property where deer can grow old and actually act like deer not shell shocked survivors. Find a ton of "it's brown it's down" mentality in these parts and it makes getting some age on the deer a challenge. My #1 this year probably wouldn't score 120 but he's 7+.

Thanks for the replies. Just as a reminder, both pics are the same deer but 2 years apart.

So there are two years between 2022 and 2023? Must be that new math? This means I've lost a whole year somewhere.

So there are two years between 2022 and 2023? Must be that new math? This means I've lost a whole year somewhere.
No wonder I'm getting old so fast!
I'm assuming you understand that to mean 2 seasons apart. One calendar year but two deer seasons. The 2022 season and the 2023 season that started today here.

Back