Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

An unusual visitor to my shop. đŸș

My apologies for the error. I was repeating what I was told by the owner. Definitely not an expert in the field of wolves. I do know according to what she said that this one was born to a friend of hers in Kentucky and was a hybrid or two wolves but that’s just what she told me. Thanks for correcting my error.

All good buddy - I didn't mean to be condescending or preachy, just thought that was relevant information on a forum like this.

It is somewhat troubling that someone who owns an actual wolf would not be well-read on their taxonomy, but I am obviously judging from afar here, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

More people commenting on the nature of wolves as pets. Seriously worth your time to read The Philosopher and the Wolf. Some wild stories in there. Spoiler alert: they are horrible, unpredictable pets.

What state are you in where someone can walk a leashed wolf hybrid around on a leash?

In PA we have stringent rules and caging requirements for ownership and they're certainly NOT allowed to walk around in public.
North Carolina. I honestly don’t know the legality of it and really haven’t thought about it much as I wasn’t responsible for it if it went wrong.

Another note since I deal with these, most homeowners insurance will not cover a captive non-domestic animal without an extra rider. Also, many city codes strictly forbid any warm blooded pet that can’t have an official rabies vaccine.
Yea I think she lives out in the country. Has like 10 acres fenced that she’s let’s it run in or something like that. Said the has to have the corners of fence rounded because it will freak out if it gets into a corner or cornered by someone.

North Carolina. I honestly don’t know the legality of it and really haven’t thought about it much as I wasn’t responsible for it if it went wrong.
A quick google search makes it seem that pure wolves are illegal in NC but wolf/dog hybrids are considered domestic animals by the state and the legality is determined by individual counties and municipalities. Pretty crazy considering how strict the laws are on them in other places!

A quick google search makes it seem that pure wolves are illegal in NC but wolf/dog hybrids are considered domestic animals by the state and the legality is determined by individual counties and municipalities. Pretty crazy considering how strict the laws are on them in other places!
Yea it’s not too strict on some stuff down here. South Carolina is way looser than North Carolina on most stuff.

Interesting animal, while it is probably a fairly high content, it is absolutely not a 100% purebred gray wolf. Dead giveaway is the very distinct mask on the face. Also the round eyes/socket, oversized ears that are pink inside (and not fur covered), and undersize feet. I'll stay out of the argument about exotic pets, hybrids and such, but it is a topic I have a tremendous amount of experience with and I'm very confident with my commentary above. It appears to be under control and well-behaved which is also very telling of its breeding. Its Kentucky heritage and description of gray/timber cross is also classic marketing for hybrids. Bottom line is , she loves it, and its a cool looking animal that appears to be very well cared for.

P.S here is a recent trail cam pic from about the same angle for comparison....

261.jpeg

Last edited:
Wolves are a neat animal and beautiful But as a pet I would never trust it
I read an story yrs ago that in nature a sub alpha wolfs job in life is to become the alpha wolf if and when possible so when your seen as the alpha and one day show weakness it can spell disaster one man had a sprain leg or ankle and his wolf hybrid attacked him and had never shown any aggression before
I have no Idea if the story was credible or not but seemed to be logical

Wolves are a neat animal and beautiful But as a pet I would never trust it
I read an story yrs ago that in nature a sub alpha wolfs job in life is to become the alpha wolf if and when possible so when your seen as the alpha and one day show weakness it can spell disaster one man had a sprain leg or ankle and his wolf hybrid attacked him and had never shown any aggression before
I have no Idea if the story was credible or not but seemed to be logical

You can find many dozens of similar pitbull stories for every wolf story. Wolves may not be the best choice as a suburban canine, but I don't think they are simply counting the days until they can take you down.

No wonder you don’t have elk in your area.

Non-native wolves strike again.... 😀
Yep took em all. In all seriousness NC thanks to the efforts of wildlife commission and RMEF now has between 150 and 200 elk. If only we can keep them Kentucky wolves out of here. Maybe we can hunt them one day. 😂

Pretty animal. No way I would take it out on a leash. After training bird dogs and carrying them around in public, it amazes me at the lack of etiquette the public has when dealing with someone else's dog. I've had to learn to read subtle ques in my dogs body language from working together. After dealing with 2 dogs that are pretty bullet proof temperament wise, I would never take an animal that was questionable in public. Too many people invading there spaces and making mistakes that could end up in a bite. Even when the dog is showing obvious signs of discomfort, strangers press their personal space.

Had a gentleman of Eskimo descent bring a Pyrenees-Wolf Cross into our retail store and there is a very distinct look to the wolf eyes. It made me jump when he came around the aisle. I like dogs, and I've never been scared of one. But there was definitely something different in it's whole demeanor.
Plus it was a BIG critter.

Signed, an elk hunter who watched "Never Cry Wolf"

Interesting animal, while it is probably a fairly high content, it is absolutely not a 100% purebred gray wolf.

No, no, no, take your expertise elsewhere...everybody I've ever met who owns a dog that is part wolf or even looks a little wolf-ish will be the first to tell you it's 100% wolf, period! My cousin told everybody for years her dog was part wolf...until my aunt finally told her it was actually just a shaggy border collie/lab mix :ROFLMAO:

Next time she comes in ask her how it gets along with strange dogs. Every purebred captive wolf I know over the age of 3-4, including the females will stuggle to get at any STRANGE dog. They will not bark, snarl or growl, just pull as hard as they can with the very obvious intent of killing the other animal. These same animals are totally socialized to humans but another canid nearby sets off their teritorial instincts. The only exception I have observed is if the other dog is completely, and I mean completely, submissive. Also ask about howling, once again they will all howl when howled to, or when family comes/goes or in response to other loud sounds including trains and even low planes. I'll be curious about her answers.

You can find many dozens of similar pitbull stories for every wolf story.

And you can find many thousands of pitbulls owned by people for every wolf or wolf hybrid. Of course there will be more instances of pet pitbulls attacking their owners than pet wolves. That doesnt mean wolves are less dangerous, it just means there are a hell of a lot more people that own pitbulls.

Next time she comes in ask her how it gets along with strange dogs. Every purebred captive wolf I know over the age of 3-4, including the females will stuggle to get at any STRANGE dog. They will not bark, snarl or growl, just pull as hard as they can with the very obvious intent of killing the other animal. These same animals are totally socialized to humans but another canid nearby sets off their teritorial instincts. The only exception I have observed is if the other dog is completely, and I mean completely, submissive. Also ask about howling, once again they will all howl when howled to, or when family comes/goes or in response to other loud sounds including trains and even low planes. I'll be curious about her answers.
She is a professional dog groomer and I believe does some training as well. She was well aware of the difficulties of owning a wolf from the beginning so she socialized it with other dogs and humans from the very start. Built a pen with rounded corners too because once when it was a puppy she tried to corner it in the house to catch it and said it had a change in its eyes like it was gonna kill her. Apparently a friend had it in Kentucky as she traveled to pick it up and has raised it since it was a puppy. I saw it one other time when it was about 9 weeks old. I will ask her about howling. That’s interesting! Also this one is less than one year right now. Just 6 months I believe.

Last edited:
Back