MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

An unusual visitor to my shop. 🐺

geetar

I work in the automotive repair business. A customer brought her pet wolf by. She has raised it since it was a puppy. It’s a gray / timber cross. I know the problems surrounding wolves today and I totally understand some people who hate them because of the damage they cause to elk herds but all that aside it’s hard to not admit they are a neat animal. 26A6F6F2-5753-4947-AE1C-DACDE7D1EC53.jpeg

I have an uncle that had a pet wolf. He loved it and I understand that as it was a pet and was beautiful. He is now part of the wolves are awesome" crowd. There are 2 problems with wolves as pets (and being out and about)....1) Even though they may seem "tame" they are still wild animals at heart and present an unpredictable danger and 2) Their presence as "sweet pets" romanticizes them to a degree where folks refuse to accept the reality of what they are...effective, voracious predators and killers.

Wolves are not inherently evil, BUT, they are dangerous wild animals who should be treated accordingly.

Wolves are not inherently evil, BUT, they are dangerous wild animals who should be treated accordingly.
Good point. Ever hear "hungry as a wolf"? Hunger and pack mentality drive the predator instinct ... plus the pack can quickly be overcome with the bloodlust mentality.

Yeah I'm not for pet wild animals, aside from disneyfying them (which I think is bad in the case of wolves) and the real danger of wild animals as pets. The other thing to consider is that you're taking the wild out of the animals, which to me is the very thing I love about them so by taming them your taking the best out of them.

My sister inlaw just stayed at some place in Kenya where there are pet giraffe's that you have breakfast with and feed etc. My wife and I are thinking about going to Africa next year and I said if I want a giraffe or any animal experience I'm going to find a proper wild animals.

Sorry for the digression, it is a beautiful wolf.

Years ago, I completed an energy conservation audit for a bed & breakfast out of Bozeman called the Howler Inn. The forty-some acre home for the wolf pack living there as a wild/pet wolf attraction seemed way too small for them, as they merely lethargically lolled around in the dirt. Such captivity seems sad to me. My wife and I have decided we don't even like zoos.

Yeah I'm not for pet wild animals, aside from disneyfying them (which I think is bad in the case of wolves) and the real danger of wild animals as pets. The other thing to consider is that you're taking the wild out of the animals, which to me is the very thing I love about them so by taming them your taking the best out of them.

My sister inlaw just stayed at some place in Kenya where there are pet giraffe's that you have breakfast with and feed etc. My wife and I are thinking about going to Africa next year and I said if I want a giraffe or any animal experience I'm going to find a proper wild animals.

Sorry for the digression, it is a beautiful wolf.
No offense taken. I have mixed feelings about captive animals myself. Just seemed a lot cooler than the average house dog that people bring in here when they get there car worked on.

It’s a gray / timber cross.

Thanks for sharing - cool and different to see a photo of one in this setting.

Since this forum prides itself on getting things right, I think it's worth mentioning some terminology specifics here. Technically, a 'Timber Wolf' is not a thing. The species of wolf found in this image and throughout North America is Canis lupus, common name Gray Wolf. 'Timber Wolf', as far as I have always known, is an unofficial and technically incorrect common name for Gray Wolves (C. lupus).

If it were a recognized subspecies, or acceptable common name (which in some circles it may be), then a Gray x Timber hybrid would still not be possible, as they would be the same thing. A hybrid of two subspecies could be discussed (such as N. Rocky Mtn Gray Wolf and a Red Wolf, both still C. lupus), but would still not be considered a distinct species.

Again, I know I am nitpicking, but I think it is important to speak correctly when identifying wildlife. Something something slippery slope of losing credibility.

Final note, if anyone is interested more in Gray Wolves as pets, I read a fascinating book when I was in college about a professor taking one on. The Philosopher and the Wolf, by Mark Rowlands.

Thanks for sharing - cool and different to see a photo of one in this setting.

Since this forum prides itself on getting things right, I think it's worth mentioning some terminology specifics here. Technically, a 'Timber Wolf' is not a thing. The species of wolf found in this image and throughout North America is Canis lupus, common name Gray Wolf. 'Timber Wolf', as far as I have always known, is an unofficial and technically incorrect common name for Gray Wolves (C. lupus).

If it were a recognized subspecies, or acceptable common name (which in some circles it may be), then a Gray x Timber hybrid would still not be possible, as they would be the same thing. A hybrid of two subspecies could be discussed (such as N. Rocky Mtn Gray Wolf and a Red Wolf, both still C. lupus), but would still not be considered a distinct species.

Again, I know I am nitpicking, but I think it is important to speak correctly when identifying wildlife. Something something slippery slope of losing credibility.

Final note, if anyone is interested more in Gray Wolves as pets, I read a fascinating book when I was in college about a professor taking one on. The Philosopher and the Wolf, by Mark Rowlands.
My apologies for the error. I was repeating what I was told by the owner. Definitely not an expert in the field of wolves. I do know according to what she said that this one was born to a friend of hers in Kentucky and was a hybrid or two wolves but that’s just what she told me. Thanks for correcting my error.

Pet wolf ok. Pet pit not ok. As per HT reviews. I have a Rottweiler. Also bad reviews. mtmuley

What state are you in where someone can walk a leashed wolf hybrid around on a leash?

In PA we have stringent rules and caging requirements for ownership and they're certainly NOT allowed to walk around in public.

Another note since I deal with these, most homeowners insurance will not cover a captive non-domestic animal without an extra rider. Also, many city codes strictly forbid any warm blooded pet that can’t have an official rabies vaccine.

Pretty animal that is obviously well-cared-for, no matter what the details, or ordinances are. Not a fan, as I don't trust them, but that is just me.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back