An unusual/unexpected phone call...

Looking at this at least we won't have to wait for snow to push them onto huntable ground.

Congrats on the tag! I put in for it as well, but apparently didn't draw, good luck!

One interesting rule was they want you to shoot a 2yr old or less. I was wondering how you determine that? What happens if you shoot a 3yr old? Not like you're counting rings on a sheep.

Congrats on the tag! I put in for it as well, but apparently didn't draw, good luck!

One interesting rule was they want you to shoot a 2yr old or less. I was wondering how you determine that? What happens if you shoot a 3yr old? Not like you're counting rings on a sheep.
From the limited knowledge And information I’ve found and knowing a buddy who had the tag two years ago. If the horns come out at a 45 degree angle and are not curved is one sign. I think 2.5” horn base is a good sign as well.

Seems like their older animals have been vaccinated or treated for something and are not fit for consumption? Knew of another tag holder a couple of years ago who screwed up and couldn’t keep the animal he shot because it was too old and that was the rationale given IIRC.

I’ve worked with bison quite a bit, and I’m pretty decent at aging/sexing but certain individuals are still tricky. Broomed off horns, broken horns, weird shaped horns can all throw you off. Luckily you usually have plenty of time to get a good look at different angles. This little quiz is one of the better ones I’ve seen for sexing/aging based on horns, in case it’s useful 🤷🏻‍♀️

Seems like their older animals have been vaccinated or treated for something and are not fit for consumption? Knew of another tag holder a couple of years ago who screwed up and couldn’t keep the animal he shot because it was too old and that was the rationale given IIRC.

I’ve worked with bison quite a bit, and I’m pretty decent at aging/sexing but certain individuals are still tricky. Broomed off horns, broken horns, weird shaped horns can all throw you off. Luckily you usually have plenty of time to get a good look at different angles. This little quiz is one of the better ones I’ve seen for sexing/aging based on horns, in case it’s useful 🤷🏻‍♀️

The aging part I do worry about. Some of those “questions” on the quiz are tough it seems because of the angle the bison is standing at in the picture.

Seriously that's awesome buddy congrats to you and her mostly! Prized herd bull coming home? I smell a taxidermy bill coming😁😉

Unfortunately no herd bull on this hunt- They want to mimic natural predation, which takes out the youngest in the herd. Still an incredible opportunity, and I'm definitely jealous. Hopefully I get lucky and win the lottery next year. Until then, looking forward to the hunt thread this fall!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back