Yeti GOBOX Collection

American prairie. What's the issue?

Any idea on what it would cost to buy a place in MT v. Missouri that was self sustaining, i.e. you didn't have to work a job in addition to the farm/ranch?

I was curious on upfront capital requirements but couldn't find much, was guessing like $1.5MM Missouri v. $10MM in Montana?
I went to a grazing workshop by Jim Gerrish last summer. He's raised cattle in Missouri and now in Idaho. He said if was about making money he would still be in Missouri. Living in Idaho is about quality of life. I don't believe he owns the property in May, Idaho. Just runs the cattle production side for the amenity land owner.

Any idea on what it would cost to buy a place in MT v. Missouri that was self sustaining, i.e. you didn't have to work a job in addition to the farm/ranch?

I was curious on upfront capital requirements but couldn't find much, was guessing like $1.5MM Missouri v. $10MM in Montana?
I have not looked at either State. It will be Texas and my family will help--down, improvement, co sign --no handouts just a hand. It has to be paid back.

Right now I am waiting for an answer on 186 acres in Texas for 650,000. It has both a large pond and creek ( year round water ). It needs a LOT of work, but that is o.k.

Cost of land in Texas depends on where it is and whether or not it has water ( ponds, creeks, river ) and whether the property owns both sides of said river or creek and of course whether or not it has a home and barn and the condition of those structures. Distance from a major town also enters into it. At my age buying anything one to two hours North -Northwest of San Antonio is impossible. But as an example, an hour Southeast of San Antonio is 1/3 the price or less.
But it will only sustain 2 per 20 approx, so that dont work, as I want to run longhorn cattle and breed a mix of quarter/thoroughbred horses.

April has put me in touch with a couple of ranchers who want to retire in Az, which I appreciate, but I am determined to live in the Lone Star State and if possible within an hour or two of Dallas or Austin . However, North of Dallas, in the State of Oklahoma, has a listing that has perked my interest. Grass is good and price is better than Texas --we will see

I probably over responded here, sorry about that.

Minimum wage is 15.49 an hour where I live. A shitty studio apartment costs about 1200 a month if you can find one. Less than 1% vacancy rate here.

You tell me how disabled people, elderly people, single mothers, etc are suppose to afford that. Tell me how a foster kid is suppose age out of the system and figure out how to support themselves in this system.

Sure, if you have parents to buy you a nice little townhouse and pay for college and car insurance on the car they bought you even though they made you pay a token 100 dollars a month towards it.

Hell, even if you worked hard during the summer and saved up while you lived in your nice stable home where food was on the table for dinner and nobody was beating anybody up or getting high.

Our system is seriously messed up. If an 80 year old chooses to work their million dollar ranch instead of sell out thats their choice and it doesn't mean the elderly homeless people I see every day, a lot of them veterans are "choosing" to be homeless.

You have no idea. You supply a luxury to the wealthy for a living. I provide survival to the disadvantaged for a living.
I'm thankful I live in Bozeman where I can pick and choose who rents a room in my basement for $1000/month.

Last edited:
This post made me think of two things. 1) I have a new least favorite "active member". 2) I'm thankful I live in Bozeman where I can pick and choose who rents a room in my basement for $1000/month.
I hope you choose the veteran with ptsd, bad credit and a shakey work history over the college kids with parents paying sometimes.

I went to a grazing workshop by Jim Gerrish last summer. He's raised cattle in Missouri and now in Idaho. He said if was about making money he would still be in Missouri. Living in Idaho is about quality of life. I don't believe he owns the property in May, Idaho. Just runs the cattle production side for the amenity land owner.
This was kinda what I was driving at... "is it an economics issue".

I have not looked at either State. It will be Texas and my family will help--down, improvement, co sign --no handouts just a hand. It has to be paid back.

Right now I am waiting for an answer on 186 acres in Texas for 650,000. It has both a large pond and creek ( year round water ). It needs a LOT of work, but that is o.k.

Cost of land in Texas depends on where it is and whether or not it has water ( ponds, creeks, river ) and whether the property owns both sides of said river or creek and of course whether or not it has a home and barn and the condition of those structures. Distance from a major town also enters into it. At my age buying anything one to two hours North -Northwest of San Antonio is impossible. But as an example, an hour Southeast of San Antonio is 1/3 the price or less.
But it will only sustain 2 per 20 approx, so that dont work, as I want to run longhorn cattle and breed a mix of quarter/thoroughbred horses.

April has put me in touch with a couple of ranchers who want to retire in Az, which I appreciate, but I am determined to live in the Lone Star State and if possible within an hour or two of Dallas or Austin . However, North of Dallas, in the State of Oklahoma, has a listing that has perked my interest. Grass is good and price is better than Texas --we will see

I probably over responded here, sorry about that.
This is great, I was just trying to understand what it takes for someone who wanted to get started.

Not unlike when the circus would picket their elephants in each new town. I often picket my horses when camping with them. It is a bluff they seldom call.

Years ago at a field trial for pointing dogs, a neighbor's horses got out somehow and came running thru the camp. Then the pickets popped out of the ground as the picketed horses decided to join the band running thru camp.
,funny, I was thinking about the circus elephants too

Reactions: DFS
This was kinda what I was driving at... "is it an economics issue".

This is great, I was just trying to understand what it takes for someone who wanted to get started.

Sorry, I did not respond to one part of your original post/question

Of course, start up costs will depend on many different factors, so I will only address what I (we - family ) are thinking. We would prefer to buy land with no structures, as I am young and do no need a fancy house ( which would increase the purchase price ) We would prefer to put up one building to house hay, equipment, animal shelter, as well as the holding pens/squeeze chutes --with a shed type roof off one side with a two bedroom one bath place for me .

So this building, fencing, (permitter and cross), revitalization of the land, equipment--plus "inventory" I do not want to line breed, so I would be buying heifers and fillies with good blood lines and then A.I. The longhorns could take several years to be self sufficient, if ever, so we may run a herd of Angus to pay the bills and use the Longhorns for pasture decorations, but they could bring in some income also in the future. A good hunter/jumper can be sold for over 100,000. So if I do my job correctly and win a ton of blue ribbons, then the horse part of the venture should be self sufficient within 3 to 5 years. Bottom line, depending on which way we take this venture I should be able to be self sufficient in 3 ro 5 years. We are only guessing, at best, at what we will need, after the land is purchased, because at this time we don know what is on the land. But if we find the right property with nothing on it, we are thinking approx 250,000 + or -

Sorry, I did not respond to one part of your original post/question

Of course, start up costs will depend on many different factors, so I will only address what I (we - family ) are thinking. We would prefer to buy land with no structures, as I am young and do no need a fancy house ( which would increase the purchase price ) We would prefer to put up one building to house hay, equipment, animal shelter, as well as the holding pens/squeeze chutes --with a shed type roof off one side with a two bedroom one bath place for me .

So this building, fencing, (permitter and cross), revitalization of the land, equipment--plus "inventory" I do not want to line breed, so I would be buying heifers and fillies with good blood lines and then A.I. The longhorns could take several years to be self sufficient, if ever, so we may run a herd of Angus to pay the bills and use the Longhorns for pasture decorations, but they could bring in some income also in the future. A good hunter/jumper can be sold for over 100,000. So if I do my job correctly and win a ton of blue ribbons, then the horse part of the venture should be self sufficient within 3 to 5 years. Bottom line, depending on which way we take this venture I should be able to be self sufficient in 3 ro 5 years. We are only guessing, at best, at what we will need, after the land is purchased, because at this time we don know what is on the land. But if we find the right property with nothing on it, we are thinking approx 250,000 + or -
May fortune favor the bold. Good luck to you.

Several years ago a bison was “taken care of” east of miles city. Board of livestock suspects it came from South Dakota. A fence doesn’t mean much to a bison unless it’s a fence like what is around Theodore Roosevelt Park.

Hell we walked right up on a bull bison that was on the wrong side of that fence while looking for an elk for the brother in law

Hell we walked right up on a bull bison that was on the wrong side of that fence while looking for an elk for the brother in law
I’d say that’s impossible with the fence that’s constructed over there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back