Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Am I Dedicated, Stubborn, or Stupid

genesis273

My hunting partner and I were scheduled to leave NC for MT on our elk hunt today. But due to my buddies house being the current bullseye for Florence, there is a strong likelihood that he's not going to make the trip this year.

We always drive, taking turns, for 2 solid days, which is a haul. Although I understand 100% why he has to focus on more important issues with a massive storm headed his way, it's driving me crazy knowing that at best, we'll have to shorten our hunt. I am now pondering driving the 34 hours (one way) by myself and hunting solo. Hunting solo, only out of necessity!

I've only driven 20 hours one way, but never this. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Drive 20-22 hours, nap 5 ish hours in a hotel I'm guessing somewhere in Nebraska ? then finish with a 12 or 14 hour day. Its really not bad. Or you could wait on your buddy another month then rifle hunt. Good luck, either way once your tired pull over stretch a bit or even nap. There is no reason to drive tired and not make it at all.

I would wait till rifle if your buddy could do it then, but if not definitely head out solo. Get some good podcasts and a good audio book, you will be fine. I did VT to CO every year in college solo and while it wasn't fun it wasn't a big deal.

That distance coupled with breaks seems stupid to me. Id wait till later in the season.

I support you hunting but, I couldn't do it. Even with a friend I get nasty around the 26 hour mark.

If your gonna do it stop and get rest, nothing like getting there and being on empty. Hard to make that up while mountain hunting. Especially during archery season when the days are a little longer.

Put yourself in your buddy's shoes and think what you'd want to happen.

I drove from eastern NYS to here in Jackson WY in 3 - 14hr stretches with a few hours to sleep and eat in between. My dog was the co-pilot. She was not happy.

Make it a vacation.Stop,sleep see the sights.Take pictures and enjoy yourself.It is what I do.Hunting IS a vacation.5 hrs. to the Kiabab Take a whole day.Grand Canyon,Grannies Closet...Local Eatery/Pub.Nap time then set up and wander aimlessly thru the forest with a bow for a week.Go home eat tag soup.HUNTING...:cool:

If you cherish your buddy I would wait. He can’t rerun his tag now and he will likely want to go in the rifle season after things calm down on the home front.

If you cherish your buddy I would wait. He can’t rerun his tag now and he will likely want to go in the rifle season after things calm down on the home front.

I agree with Tony. Wait until rifle season and take him with you. With the stress of the storm and possible property damage and whatnot, I'm willing to bet he'd need a break from the homefront for a little while. What is better than hunting and buddy time to reset?

If you can adjust your vacation time with work, I'd wait for buddy. Or at least for him to say that he's out for sure and can't make rifle season. Also, have you hunted this area in the past or this a first time elk hunt in a new area? Going solo and to a new area adds more challenges. If you have past experience in the area, then I'd be more comfortable in making the trip solo.

You only live once.May never have the opportunity again.Missed on my Bull Elk...Never pass.:cool:

Last edited:
If there was a chance of him going I would absolutely wait, but, if he can't go within the next week, he's not going at all this year. I have three weeks off and my job is very flexible with vacation. Which leads me to like the idea of taking my time driving out, as mentioned above.

I am very familiar with this area that we hunt. That's one reason I'm wanting to go so bad. Love the place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back