PEAX Equipment

Always check your turret caps

I was fortunate that it didn't spin my windage dial. I took it out to the range on Monday, dialed for 300yds, and BOOM, SMACK! Got the replacement cap in the mail today, and stuck a piece of electrical tape over it just to make sure. Hoping to see an elk on Friday.

Yup, i've learned to unscrew mine and make sure i didn't forget to return to zero after shooting targets at 600 yards!

Now I know why my horizontal was off .4 mil the other day. I didn’t remember ever moving it. And I also use the gunbearer.

Ive seen one go more than a full rotation due to rubbing on a pack

That’s the reason we went with “zero-stop” (I believe it’s called that)dials with our Leupold CDS scope. We originally went with the other option, the turret could be turned more than one revolution.....which could cause big problems! The “zero stop” limits our range to around 850 yards.....which is farther than we plan on shooting game! memtb

Same thing happened. I sent my scope turret zipping around in a gun bearer. I didn’t know which direction or how many rotations. Nearly cost me a buck. I even had the CDS move on me from the time I ranged to the time I got on the bag and shot. That ones still a mystery.

Why did I pay more for this “feature”? I may downgrade to the capped turret. For now I know how many rotations to bottom out the turret and return to zero. But I hate doing that. Don’t trust the tracking that much.

I was told that the VX3i custom dials would have a zero stop feature. Can anyone confirm this?

If a person can’t out smart a turret...Maybe they shouldn’t own one.

I agree. I paid extra and was defeated by turret. Not the symptoms of genius.

what is your suggestion? Tape? Scope cover? Sell the CDS and go old school?

I won’t do any of those things. What brilliant solution is my mouth breathing skull missing?

I agree. I paid extra and was defeated by turret. Not the symptoms of genius.

what is your suggestion? Tape? Scope cover? Sell the CDS and go old school?

I won’t do any of those things. What brilliant solution is my mouth breathing skull missing?
My solution was simple. Take 1 second to look at my turret before putting my cheek down on the rifle. If still where I expected it to be I was good to go, if not I spent 3 seconds twisting back to the very solid zero stop. It's free, it's easy and it doesn't leave sticky tape residue. YMMV.

My solution was simple. Take 1 second to look at my turret before putting my cheek down on the rifle. If still where I expected it to be I was good to go, if not I spent 3 seconds twisting back to the very solid zero stop. It's free, it's easy and it doesn't leave sticky tape residue. YMMV.
That would be perfect for the CDS with zero lock, but on the regular CDS dials (like the ones that come on the Howa Randy Newberg editions) don't have that feature, that I'm aware of. For that reason, I won't own anything less than something like the CDS ZL or the Vortex HS LR with shims for zero stops. I actually fear a lot of people are going to find out the hard way with those Randy Newberg editions.

That would be perfect for the CDS with zero lock, but on the regular CDS dials (like the ones that come on the Howa Randy Newberg editions) don't have that feature, that I'm aware of. For that reason, I won't own anything less than something like the CDS ZL or the Vortex HS LR with shims for zero stops. I actually fear a lot of people are going to find out the hard way with those Randy Newberg editions.
Not perfect (and probably warranty voiding) but there are 10 cent washer solutions some use for DIY zero stops for many scopes. But personally, when I went through an expensive scope upgrade process last year a mechanical zero stop was one of my requirements.

Last edited:

Does the Custom CDS turret by Leupold come with a zero stop? I can't figure out how the VX3i zero stop would work. It doesn't appear to be something I can shim, unlike other scopes I've had.

I know now that it's 2.5 full rotations from my zero to the limit. But man is that a lot of clicks...I just don't trust the tracking to return to perfect zero after zipping it around that much

Does the Custom CDS turret by Leupold come with a zero stop? I can't figure out how the VX3i zero stop would work. It doesn't appear to be something I can shim, unlike other scopes I've had.

I know now that it's 2.5 full rotations from my zero to the limit. But man is that a lot of clicks...I just don't trust the tracking to return to perfect zero after zipping it around that much
Not sure, I use the default MOA turret (I go different places each year so no default elevation - plus MOA is easy.

1/16 inch ball bearing, drill bit to match for one solution to the “problem”

Shims get you there for another fix to the “problem”.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

This is exactly how I put a zero stop in my factory CDS MOA dial! Took about 15 minutes. It does limit you to about 11 MOA though.
Also I am pretty certain the factory made custom yardage dials are the same exact setup.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back