Always check your turret caps

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

I bought the kifaru gun bearer for this season, and apparently the angle I wore it caused my arm to brush against the windage cap. Must’ve loosened it a little bit with every step. Gonna call Leupold today and order a new one, and then stick electrical tape over it after I get it on! (Also going to go verify my zero, hoping the dial didn’t get turned.)
D5E684EE-F462-4B18-A6AF-48BDC8FC1498.jpeg

Had the same thing happen earlier this year during antelope rifle. I check it constantly now. Leupold customer service was great, sent me two caps free of charge.

On a somewhat related note, this is also why I only use scopes that have caps on the turrets, or zero stop/locking turrets. I missed the biggest buck antelope of my life because my dial spun as I pulled my gun out of the front seat. Sent it clean over his back. #neveragain 🤦‍♂️

I carry mine in the Gunbearer with the scope facing forward to keep the turrets from unwanted contact. I'm not sure if that would help you or not.

Similar experience with similar equipment. I mentioned in my WY trip report this fall that I missed a nice 'lope buck when the "locking" elevation turret of my Leupold 6HD CDS-ZL2 spun 18 MOA while being carried in a kifaru gun bearer. I still love the gun bearer and the leupold scope, but have added "check turret elevation" to my pre-shot mental check list - as at least with the 6HD CDS-ZL2, the lock release button is easily pressed and once the turret has moved 1 click it no longer needs to be pressed for additional turns.

Last edited:
I'm not alone!

My turret was off a full 10 moa, missed my opening day buck, a good one at that. Really shook my confidence. Went to the range, tight group, just 10 inches low. I wondered how it could have happened, but I use a gun bearer too, so maybe that's it. I just figured I had Gremlins in my truck.

I always check my zerostop when getting to a glassing location also. Every time we stop it’s kind of habit now. I’ve seen turrets get twisted a few times. Cost my brother a great MT buck and since then we are more cautious. I’ve even seen guys tape their exposed turrets to ensure they don’t move until needed.

Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my cds after a long weekend of cedar swamps, blowdowns and thick brush and my turret was on 225. Luckily I didn’t have an opportunity to shoot

I discovered a loose etched dial on the last day of nada shot opportunity tag soup CO elk hunt. I had twisted tracking a 800 yard no chance bull meandering no closer a couple days earlier. When I detected free wheeling I had no idea where zero was.

I've used one for 20 years now, Kifaru gunbearer, and never had a turret twist. Must be lucky I guess. Lately have been using scopes with turrets that don't twist easily so that may also be contributing.

It absolutely would.

My scope coat got scraped off somewhere on my elk hunt this year. Looked down, no scope coat, turret setting changed. In the last I wouldn't hunt with a scope that had exposed turrets. I may go back to that.

Nope. mtmuley

IF you ever try it. I never said you'd try it. I had a friend who adamantly swore he didn't like pecan pie and that he didn't need try it to know that he didn't like it. One day he tried it. He loves pecan pie.

IF you ever try it. I never said you'd try it. I had a friend who adamantly swore he didn't like pecan pie and that he didn't need try it to know that he didn't like it. One day he tried it. He loves pecan pie.
Tried it. Not for me. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back