Alternative to Nalgene

ThunderNocked

Sorry - many of you are going to think this is silly or dumb. But here I am!
So I went 'home' over the summer to see my folks. I discovered my old Nalgene from High School so I brought it back to Alaska. I washed it out there and a couple of times since. But I noticed when I was drinking out of it regularly I get headaches. Normally I get headaches frequently If I don't drink enough water - but I noticed it was going in the reverse. I tried it out for a week and I remembered something like this happened once before and I switched to glass or metal.
So nothing against Nalgene (even though I did have a nearly new bottle shatter when I dropped it from waist high as I lowered my arm to leave my house with about 6-8 ounces of water in it) but I'm thinking for my hunting expeditions I'd like to get a metal alternative.
I know there is Yeti, Klean Kanteen, Hydroflask. I know that a single wall Klean Kanteen is similar in weight to a Nalgene of slightly larger capacity. I know that a double wall is going to be heavier and will also keep your liquids better protected from freezing in the cold or heating up in the sun.
What bottles are you guys using and is a double wall worth the weight?

I was thinking about just getting a 30 ounce single wall but thought I'd reach out on here for no real good reason but I wanted to see what people are doing.

I am currently drinking water out of a 30ish ounce metal shaker cup with a plastic insert in the lid.

Also I figure if I'm going to spend money I'll check out a couple brands to make sure none of them are 100% against hunting.

Sorry, weird couple days.
I was talking specifically more for hunting in the field.
Daily I can use anything, I’ve been just using my coffee cup- a Yeti Rambler from Barney’s Sports Chalet or a Bark River from DLT Trading.

I normally have a 3L Platypus, and then I recently picked up a 1L collapsible one as well. But I was thinking as a backup potentially for if the platypus broke or I wanted water around camp.
Maybe I’m being to redundant.

Also for sheep hunting, the more water you can pack up high means less trips to refill water.

So I was thinking avoiding plastic and get a metal bottle for field use and then I like the Growler idea for office and home use!

For sitting at the desk or for packing? A glass growler bottle at home ot a platypus for hiking
I like the Glass Growler at home and work - I've just been drinking out of a Shaker Cup or my Yeti Rambler (and my fake one).
I was thinking more as a backup for in the field - I have heard that a lot of guys carry a bladder and a Nalgene. I have a 3L bladder I normally carry but thought it might be good to have a bottle too. Maybe I'm doing too much duplication.

If for in field in cold weather get a single wall stainless bottle, warm Gatorade on a 10degree morning is amazing just take off plastic lid and place on edge of fire. I dont carry nalgene cause of this plus single wall weigh nothing

You say it was old. Out of curiosity, is it marked BPA free on the bottom? I am not sure when they went away from BPA, but there have been studies that have linked BPA in plastics and migraine symptoms in some people.
I checked the bottom last night my new one says BPA free but the old one did not.

It says PC under the triangle 7 where the new one says BPA Free under it.

If for in field in cold weather get a single wall stainless bottle, warm Gatorade on a 10degree morning is amazing just take off plastic lid and place on edge of fire. I dont carry nalgene cause of this plus single wall weigh nothing
That was kind of my thinking - if I could get a single wall Metal/Stainless then i could use it to heat or boil water in an emergency as well as use it if my 3L Platypus breaks.

Never had hot Gatorade - I'll have to try it.

Depending on the weather, I'll take anything from a camelbak bladder to a hydroflask 40 OZ bottle. a 20 OZ hydroflask is usually along for the walk with hot broth or some hot beverage. It's amazing the mood boost you get from something hot in your belly while glassing in the cold & wind.

BPA was my first guess as well.

I use a bladder for warmer hunts. When it gets cold I pull the hose out of my bag and then use the bladder and a Nalgene. I typically carry a couple of liters of water so instead of three bottle I use the bladder and refill. I've never had a bladder freeze it's the hose that's the issue.

Despite a love affair with the outdoors that is nearly seventy years old now, I never got out backpacking and hunting nearly as much as I should have done or desired to do. Still, I've managed to learn a few things over those many decades.

I still own old Nalgene type, and actual Nalgene brand, bottles that I bought in the original Seattle REI shop in the late 1960's to mid-70's. I believe the bottles of that era were actually polypropylene. To be honest, I always thought they imparted a disagreeable taste to water, especially as they aged or got warmed in the sun. I clearly recall REI featuring polycarbonate bottles in their catalogs of the time as an alternative, citing less taste imparted to beverages as one of the advantages. Yet, there are now health concerns circulating that warn people not to reuse polycarbonate!

I like ccc23454's stainless steel bottle suggestion except that I find most of those type bottles available at a reasonable cost are too tall and narrow, being prone to tipping over on uneven surfaces such as one occasionally :D encounters in the wilderness. Also, I prefer cleaning a transparent bottle; it is simply easier to ascertain an adequate job. As a cheap bastard, my solution has been to repurpose Gatorade bottles until lately. I recently switched to using applesauce container such as used by Seneca and Motts. They come in several sizes, are a squat, tip-resistant form molded with integral grip indentations and are made of the same PETE material as the Gatorade and, in a nod to ElkFever2, Powerade bottles. The material does not impart any taste that I can detect, at least not with cold fluids. I find the larger opening facilitates filling from shallow water sources much more effectively than does a necked-down bottle.

I suppose I'll read an article one of these days linking reuse of PETE plastic containers to some horrible affliction, but frankly, as a septuagenarian, I don't intend to worry about such things from here on.

As an added note, I use miniature alcohol and similar bottles for my backpacking salt and pepper shakers. They weigh virtually nothing. They seal tight, unlike the gimicky S&P shakers sold in camping stores and catalogs, keeping the salt dry for ages and they will hold sufficient quantity for extended trips. One merely has to develop the knack of carefully shaking loose seasonings out of a slightly tipped, not inverted, container.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back