Alcohol

I don't think it's a coincidence that so many here struggled with alcohol. Addictive traits can be strong, and, as some have pointed out, if you're here, you probably have some addictive traits, as you can only hunt a few months of the year if you don't count coyotes. And, unlike gamblers, the payoff only happens a couple of times a year, at least for big game.

I was definitely more than a little obsessed with fly fishing, running rivers, and duck hunting. For a long time if it said Sage or Winston on it I had it. Might have been able to pass a liquor store but didn't pass many fly shops (this was before the explosion after ARRTI).

My job kept me from drinking most of the time, or maybe I would have gotten in trouble there as well.

I asked a psychologist once why she thought so many obviously very bright people were abusers of alcohol and drugs; IIRC, we were talking about Hunter Thompson. She said she thought they just were processing incoming information at a much higher level, and were looking for ways to dull the inputs.

Certainly plenty of dumb drunks too, though.

As for the genetics of alcohol dependency, a little light reading:

Stopped drinking a few years ago. It stopped serving a purpose in my life, so I just stopped cold turkey. Didn’t replace it with anything either which is also good.

Someone asked about non-alcoholic beverages; Athletic Brewing makes a bunch of great options, Coors Edge is the only light beer I like. Maybe have a 6 pack a month.

“She said she thought they just were processing incoming information at a much higher level, and were looking for ways to dull the inputs.“

This rings true for me. Alcohol has never been a problem for me. Raised in a setting where any consumption apart from a sip of wine at Communion service was viewed as both socially unacceptable or even immoral, it’s only been a few years since I have learned to appreciate and enjoy a drink.

Whether it’s indicative of an addictive personality or not I don’t know but something that captures my attention or when responsibility demands it I find it difficult not to focus on that to the near exclusion of other things.

It makes me pretty effective at problem solving and creative expression but usually leaves me exhausted in the process and I don’t have as much energy and time for other people and projects when it’s happening.

I suspect if I didn’t dislike the feeling of ever being out of control that accompanies being buzzed, I could be lured into the mind numbing illusion of alcohol to my detriment.

Nature and woods time has always been the most calming thing for me from early childhood. As I get older it seems like it requires more and more energy to get away and my opportunities are less as my schedule is less flexible.

Probably be a better idea for me to take a hike than pop a top as a normal course of habit.

“She said she thought they just were processing incoming information at a much higher level, and were looking for ways to dull the inputs.“

This rings true for me. Alcohol has never been a problem for me. Raised in a setting where any consumption apart from a sip of wine at Communion service was viewed as both socially unacceptable or even immoral, it’s only been a few years since I have learned to appreciate and enjoy a drink.

Whether it’s indicative of an addictive personality or not I don’t know but something that captures my attention or when responsibility demands it I find it difficult not to focus on that to the near exclusion of other things.

It makes me pretty effective at problem solving and creative expression but usually leaves me exhausted in the process and I don’t have as much energy and time for other people and projects when it’s happening.

I suspect if I didn’t dislike the feeling of ever being out of control that accompanies being buzzed, I could be lured into the mind numbing illusion of alcohol to my detriment.

Nature and woods time has always been the most calming thing for me from early childhood. As I get older it seems like it requires more and more energy to get away and my opportunities are less as my schedule is less flexible.

Probably be a better idea for me to take a hike than pop a top as a normal course of habit.
Much more productive

I always appreciate your thoughtful sincerity Mr. Martin.

Of all the drugs available to us, I'm kind of amazed that alcohol is the one that is legal. I used to drink a ton. In college and a few years after and constantly felt like shit, put on weight and just thought to be cool I had to do it. Now with a wife and small son I don't enjoy getting drunk and just can't afford to. It makes me irritable and snappy and that isn't fair. I also sleep like shit and feel terrible for what seems like days. I do still enjoy an evening drink, but if the trend continues that may go away.

I still have a few friends who drink heavily. I was convinced my brother was going to die from it. Luckily he got sober a few years ago and is thriving. My mom still drinks a bunch and has had some liver issues.

Like others have said. I find it harder and harder to see an upside.

Of all the drugs available to us, I'm kind of amazed that alcohol is the one that is legal. I used to drink a ton. In college and a few years after and constantly felt like shit, put on weight and just thought to be cool I had to do it. Now with a wife and small son I don't enjoy getting drunk and just can't afford to. It makes me irritable and snappy and that isn't fair. I also sleep like shit and feel terrible for what seems like days. I do still enjoy an evening drink, but if the trend continues that may go away.

I still have a few friends who drink heavily. I was convinced my brother was going to die from it. Luckily he got sober a few years ago and is thriving. My mom still drinks a bunch and has had some liver issues.

Like others have said. I find it harder and harder to see an upside.
I still will have a drink now and again, but the shit makes ya stupid if you don't watch it!

Alcohol is more of a rare occasion for me, if that. For example, I had a glass of crown and coke when I found out I was approved to move home. I should have a glass to celebrate getting home alive. I will have a glass when I get my first big game animal.

Very special occasions and in moderation. That’s my personal rule.

Today marks the 45th day without a drink for me. I was never a big drinker, more of a social thing. I had just noticed that every time I would have a glass or two of wine, or a beer/etc, I slept/felt like crap. Decided to just stop it altogether and I can’t believe how great I feel.

My biggest test was being in New Orleans for work last week(during Mardi Gras). Made it through the crap show just fine😂

My wife had a few Buckler NA’s when she was pregnant and they were actually pretty good. We keep of few of those around now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that so many here struggled with alcohol. Addictive traits can be strong, and, as some have pointed out, if you're here, you probably have some addictive traits, as you can only hunt a few months of the year if you don't count coyotes. And, unlike gamblers, the payoff only happens a couple of times a year, at least for big game.

I was definitely more than a little obsessed with fly fishing, running rivers, and duck hunting. For a long time if it said Sage or Winston on it I had it. Might have been able to pass a liquor store but didn't pass many fly shops (this was before the explosion after ARRTI).

My job kept me from drinking most of the time, or maybe I would have gotten in trouble there as well.

I asked a psychologist once why she thought so many obviously very bright people were abusers of alcohol and drugs; IIRC, we were talking about Hunter Thompson. She said she thought they just were processing incoming information at a much higher level, and were looking for ways to dull the inputs.

Certainly plenty of dumb drunks too, though.

As for the genetics of alcohol dependency, a little light reading:

My youngest son (28) died January 2021. It was from taking fentanyl. My wife and I have struggled with why. I'm glad that you posted this, as it helps make some sense of it all.
I always used to think of people with alcohol and drug problems as being people who were struggling in life, people who turned to drugs. I was wrong.
Brendan was the youngest of 4 boys. He was always different from the others, he was more outgoing, more self confident. He was very athletic, very intelligent, really fun to be around. The kind of person who believed he could do anything, and that his family and friends could do anything too. My father and I used to say that he was the son that would survive anything, no need to ever worry about him.
So what is it that makes people turn to drugs and alcohol? I just think that some of us are lucky, and others have these genes, traits, that make us susceptible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back