Alaskan Triple Play (photos included!!!)

Big Sky

Well I'm back home from what has to be the most perfect bear hunt of my life. There was just too many good things that went on to try and tell it all. So here a brief summary and some photos. I saw 28 bears and killed number 23, he has a skull that measures 20 10/16". The next night my partner killed a hog of a bear with a skull that measured 20 12/16". We were having so much fun we took his 8 year old boy out the next night and he missed a nice 19"ish bear, but redeemed himself the next evening by whacking this 19 3/16" boar. This hunt has to be experienced to be appreciated. One cannot begin to do it justice with the written word. With that here's my bear:
fe995dcd.jpg.orig.jpg

Now here's the pig my partner shot the very next night.
fe995dbf.jpg.orig.jpg

Last but not least here's his 8 year old boys first bear. Incidently we caught all the hunts on video and I've been able to enjoy it over and over again. I'll be riding this high for a very long time.
fe995dc2.jpg.orig.jpg

Let me be the first to say...... WOW!!!

PS...Troy, can I get a copy of that tape from ya ?~?~?

[ 24 April 2001: Message edited by: Moosie ]

hntrjohn, I do fractions the same way you do, but for record keeping, as in Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young they use 16th's. Hence the scores. Moosie yup I'll see what I can do but there a long line of guys that want to see the video. I may make a couple and circulate it around. Be sure to remind me now and then as I'm having trouble keeping track of all the guys that want to see it. Fastest way to get a copy would be to send me a blank tape and I'd copy if for you, then mail it back. Got to warn you though there is some pretty rough language, not out of me. In fact I don't think I cussed at all on the tape, but I was hunting with loggers, as in lumber jacks, need I say more

Big Sky - those sure ARE some big bears! Was this an outfitted hunt, and if so, would you share the info just in case some of the folks on here wanted to go? Thanks for sharing those great pics!

Big Sky-Thanks for sharing the pics with us. I saw the pictures over on 24 hour fire that Big Stick posted. All I got to say is AAAALLLLLLRIGHT!!!!! Seeing that many bears is something in itself besides getting a GIANT one!!!!!!! OR THREE!!!!!!! Thats not bear hunting thats a TURKEY SHOOT :D :D :D :D bcat

I gotta second that request for guide info...I'm new to this board and perhaps this was already covered, but I wouldn't mind hearing some of the logistics. Also,
what does a bear that big weigh?? I am in awe...

Nope this was not an outfitted hunt. It was all spot and stock. I hunted with a good friend up there. While I think a person could do it on their own up there it would be rather difficult and I have my doubts that a person would kill bears over 20" without a considerable amount of luck. I think a person would be much better off with an outfitter on this hunt. I could probably recommend one and there's another I would suggest you avoid. You'll have to email for that information though. Bcat I have to agree with you it was about as close to a turkey shoot as bear hunting gets. However I killed the 23rd bear I saw and that was after stalking a least a half a dozen bears that won instead of us. They don't get this big being stupid. I also stalked a few bears that once we got in range I decided to pass on as they were too small. In fact the one his son shot I passed up earlier in the week and that bear scored 19 3/16". Can you believe that? Anywhere else I'd kill a 19" bear in a heartbeat and be darn proud of it. Right now my knee's are killing me and I'm seriously wondering just how bad I blew out my right ankle. That terrain up there really takes a tole on a guy, but I'd be more than willing to do it all again. I hope someday I can.

i knew you were gonna come back with some nice bears,but WOW!!! those are awesome bruins!
now thats what bear dreams are made of!! :D i cant wait for the day when i can say im going to alaska black bear hunting! Congrats Big Sky and thanks for sharing, your buddies son is one lucky kid to have experienced that kind of a hunt that early on in his career, hats off to you guys!

For those of you that like technical data (and I do) here some information for you about the rifles and loads.
My bear was shot with a custom built rifle on a Remington 700 action, McMillan urban camo stock, 26" fluted stainless steal barrel, chamber for a 300 Super (8mm Rem. Mag. neck down to a .30 caliber), using Barne's 165gr X bullets.
Partner's bear was shot with a Rem 700 factory barrel rechambered for a 375 H+H Ackley Improved, McMillan wood-grain synthetic stock, using 275gr. Winchester FailSafe bulltes.
They boys bear was a custom Remington 700 short action, stainless 24" barrel, chamber for a 25-284, using 75gr. Hornady VMax bullet. Yes, you read that right he used the VMax and it was very effective. The stock btw, is a McMillan and was a custom pink and black swirl design originally for his wife. However when she saw it, it uglied her to death, and hence became my buddy's rifle. It is definately the ugliest rifle rifle I've seen in a long time, but man is it a sweet shooter. I'm planning on building one myself, sans the pink stock of course ;)

Very very nice bears :D :D They sure have some big heads up there don't they.Hope you post back later with the official scores.A 20" skull is near imposable In Maine.

Big Sky,
Super bears.....only one thing you forgot on your hunt and that was hounds.lol :D :D :D Nah spot and stalk is probly pretty exciting also....congrats

Bigsky.....GREEEEEEEEEEAT bear man!!!!!!! My trip this fall out to Fairview,MT Sept 7 I will have to drop by to say hello and check him out in person if the rug/mount is done by then. Way to goooooooooooooooo.
Chris

Nice bears. they are someting to be proud of. I bet the 8 year old will remember this as long as he lives, as i am sure you & your friend will too. Congrats Big Sky and thank you for sharing them with us.

Tobey I plan to have mine officially scored by a B+C measurer after it's dried. However the other two bears will never be officially measured as the owner doesn't care for such things. He has 7 or 8 skulls over 20" and two or three just this side of 22". So the score I qouted here are as official as they are likely to get except for mine. These bears all have to be sealed and the skull is measured. The posted measurement are from the sealer at the time of the sealing of the skulls and is what the Fish and Game records in their records.
Catman, I hear what you are saying. I've hunted bears over dogs before and I believe dogs wouldn't fare too well on this island. The terrain is extremely steep, rocky, and the densist jungle forest I've ever seen. I have serious doubts as to whether or not the dogs could get around in the nearly impossible to navigate vegetation. Even if they could the hunters couldn't. It's seriously nasty stuff especially the Devil's Club. If I never get stuck by Devil's Club ever again in my lifetime that will be just fine by me. It's like wild roses on steroids. It was quite a learning experience for me navigating thick timber, slick rocks, and dealing with tides. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

hntrjohn, I really don't know I never thought to weigh it. I skinned the bear and then cut the hide in half because I had planned all along to do a shoulder or half-life size mount. I wouldn't even have a guess as to how much it weighed.

cathunt-mt, yup Alaska is pretty darn impressive isn't she? However Montana is still home. So how is your bear hunt going down there? I've been wondering if you ever caught up with either of those bears your rancher friend had on his ranch?

Back