Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Alaskan dreams fulfilled

Tom, packing the moose out wasn't too bad. Just lots of trips. I shot the moose a little over a mile from camp. The first quarter mile was a little tough, being uphill and brush up to my shoulders. After that, not bad at all.

The caribou was a lot of fun, just seeing lots of animals. But the moose was a life long dream come true.

What's it like packing out a moose? Lots of trips and lots and lots of work?

Tom, There's no front end loaders up there. So be prepared to know how to butcher meat, load and pack to landing strips.... I believe you have to even pack out the bones these days.... Not sure on that though..

It depends on the unit. We were allowed to bone out the meat. The butchering was almost as much work as the packing.

The fishing was definately good. I still have an unused ticket, just need to put dates on it. Maybe I'll get up there next spring to plug a black bear.

So much for the idea of an unguided dall or brownbear hunt. :(

Kurt, do what I did for the Dall.........just make your brother move up there and live for a while. If you don't have one.............you may have to send your mother.........either way, the coordinates are the easy part:)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back