Alaska hunting at it's finest

AlleninAlaska

01-05-04-%20006web.jpg

01-05-04-%20005web.jpg

01-05-04-%20024web.jpg

wolf.jpg

These are of a recent weekend of caribou hunting. The wolf was taken last Sunday while looking for caribou.

I wonder if Moosie has a bigger cow than the one pictured here?

I assume you were meat hunting...so why would you shoot a bou of the year in the ham?

I love those winter capes though!

Ovis that's a quartering away shot at 467 lasered yards. The exit wound is just behind the left shoulder.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-09-2004 18:40: Message edited by: AlleninAlaska ]</font>

Ovis :

141_G.sized.jpg

I'm guessing I got a bit bigger one... I wasn't meat hunting though , I was working on filling my Trophy caribou tag. It scores in the top 100
rolleyes.gif

Allen, Cool dead wolf. Thats what I like to see !!!!

I was wondering though, on the Cow hunt, why's ya shoot so far on the cow, when I was there we could get within 100 yards easy (Which looks about the distance of the 'bou heard from ya.) . Not trying to question the hunt, just wondering if they are more WYLEE in the Winter ?

Did you guys see and Big bulls there ? If so, did you take any pictures ?

Moosie the bulls have all lost their antlers by this time of year. The reason for the long shooting is because they are very spooky this time of year. By now they have seen more snowmobiles than Polaris can maunfacture in a year.
smile.gif
There are bulls in the herd, but them young ones make better table fare. That herd picture is right about 400 yards away and the picture was taken with a zoom lens. There were about 600-700 animals in that herd and they stretched out about a third of a mile.

Cool... I was just asking because When I was there, Although we didn't see any bulls We saw Plenty of Cows Up close :

b41.sized.jpg

b38.sized.jpg

b40.sized.jpg

Funny thing was, when I shot my cow... they didn't know were it was coming from and ran 20 feet and just looked around.. It wasn't untill I moved twards the 'Bou that they decided to leave
biggrin.gif

We made 'Bou sticks with them and they tasted DANDY !!!

It must be colder now too, eh? Great pictures, thanks. Alaska at its best, whew! Does that mean you like it cold, snowy, spooky animals or because you got some great meat and killed a wolf? Great stuff for sure.

first post, but not a virgin. I may go up to the great state of Alaska this fall and have a chance to hunt caribou, but I never really thought they would be any fun to shoot. Please tell me why you guys and gals enjoy shooting them.. I really would like to know. I have had the previldge of hunting most big game and want to hear back from you.

Thanks to all who did for posting some wonderful pictures of hunting in Alaska. All the brochures in the world could not help me get the "feel" of Alaska as much as these few actual hunting snapshots did. The professionals may pose their pictures very well for brochures, but these happy snaps tell me more about the place than 1000's of words.
I can't wait for fall, as I'm then going there to fish and generally tag along!
Regards from sunny South Africa.
Old Pro.

Okay...
f9f58a0e.jpg

We got em' in the Yukon, too. This was last year's Aug 1 bull- as you can tell, I'm a meat hunter...
Amazing animal. Took him from around 60 yards with my .375 H&H in the left shoulder, which blew a fair pile of the shoulder through the heart and lungs. He never fell at the shot, and ran about a hundred yards before he dropped. Tough bugger...

Hey all I am new to the board but I live in The great state of Alaska. We love to hunt here. My hubby and I try to get out for at least a week to hunt every year. We hunt for anything legal, from rabbits to bears. We usually take the horses and pack in to camp away from the "crowd". There is not a better place on earth to live or hunt. (My opinion of course). We have alot of variety in game and some beautiful country to see while your looking for the critters. Great pics guys. We have a few but they are not in the computer yet. Beautiful wolf.

Back