Yeti GOBOX Collection

Alaska Black Bear - Part II

Randy,

Thanks for taking me back to SE Alaska for another bear hunt. I'll admit it is not as good as being there in person, but you have done a fabulous job in telling the story of a great hunt and making me feel like I am there again. I hope that we can return to that awesome SE Alaska again to chase bear.

Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime. To err is human, looks like you gave it your all.
I fly out Friday, pretty pumped up. We have four bears to kill. Talking to the bio he said they extended the wolf season till the end of may.

Randy,
Sorry to hear about the lost bear. I wish I could say I've never had the gut ache of losing a wounded animal, but unfortunately I've been there myself. Hopefully this doesn't shake your confidence the next time you're faced with a shooting opportunity.

Great writeup and thanks for taking us along!

Wow, that was a great story Randy, Thanks much for taking the time to elaborate and provide all the details. I 'm sure I will see the show,and I bet the footage is great.... but your narrative have already done it for me! The video is in my head.

BigFin, incredible write up and sounds like you had one helluva hunt. Congrats, on being the man you are to show the show the way it happened, and not just being another hunting show that paints it all as perfect. I'm sorry you had to feel the gut wrench that happens when you lose an animal, but you did everything you could to prevent it, and thats why we all love your show.

I've been with you on some high moments and some low ones including your health. I could imagine being there with you through all of it. You've got a great heart and attitude as a hunter. Thanks for the story and wow that sounded like the bear hunts of all bear hunts. Wish I could of been there with Joe, Troy and yourself.:(

Great stories Randy. I greatly respect your attitude about the wounded bear. Ive had a very hard time stomaching people who wound an animal and then without much thought keep going and shoot at the next one to come along.

Bummer of an ending, but as others have said, it happens. Your respect for the animal and conscience is on the straight and narrow.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Personally Fin I`d get back out there right away and try to get a MT bear on the ground. I wouldn`t want to let losing this bear sit and brew all summer.

Like others have said, it`s part of the game that everyone`s gotta deal with at some point.

I imagine a bear with a gimped leg will still do pretty well in the rain forests up there.

Still looks like a hell of a trip, and a great adventure. Congrats to Joe on the bear.

Randy:

As you know some of us have been in those shoes more than once. It stinks.

You are a class act full of integrity and high morals. That is why I choose to hunt with you, Jerry and only a hand full of others.

Keep your chin up. It was a great hunt and should be shown in its entirety.

Scott

Randy, you are amazing! To describe everything so perfectly, I was with you and I was thinking maybe the ending would be different than the reality of our hunt! I have the utmost respect for you especially after we gave our best and complete effort to recover your bear. Most hunters (especially ones with a hunting show) would have shot the next bear! You are a true man of honor and the message you are sending will resound throughout the hunting community!

Awesoeme story Randy! Sorry to hear about the ending, and i know its of no use to you, but I feel your pain as do many who spend a lot of time afield.

Shake it off and move on........

Congrats to Joe on his very fine bear!

Randy, sorry about the liver problems and the tough ending to your bear hunt. I had to stop by my office one last time before going home tonight, took a 'quick' look at OYOA and couldn't stop reading your account until the end, fantastic write-up. Thanks for sharing, really looking forward to the show.

Great story Randy,sorry to hear about your bear. I know it's of little consolation but I'm willing to bet that bear survives.They are amazingly tough animals and can do just fine on 3 legs.I know several bears here in Mn that have been shot later with a missing leg. Congratulations again on a great hunt and adventure.

Wow, great write-up! It's easy to picture all the highs and lows of the hunt and feel the emotions.

I'm glad you had the integrity to end your hunt when you could not recover the wounded animal. That act shows class and true character.

However, since many others who are reading of your hunt also have black bear hunts palnned in Southeast Alaska, I'd like to point out for them that Alaska hunting regulations are very specific that in Game Management Units 1-5 (all of Southeast Alaska), and GMU 8, "bears wounded by a hunter count as the bag limit for the regulatory year. Wounded means there is sign of blood or other sign that the bear has been hit by a hunting projectile."

For those of you preparing to leave for your own Alaska black bear hunt, please be aware of this regulation so you don't get yourself sideways with the Troopers!

Again, thanks for the great write-up on your hunt! It's nice to see somebody write about their true experience, warts and all, instead of the usual sugar-coated account of the flawless hunt.

Chris

Just a thought, and I'm not making excuses for you, but did that new fangled gun have those fancy bullet drop compensator turrets? Was the rifle sighted in at 100 yards, and the turrets on 100 when you shot. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Just a thought, and I'm not making excuses for you, but did that new fangled gun have those fancy bullet drop compensator turrets? Was the rifle sited in at 100 yards, and the turrets on 100 when you shot. Just wondering.

I wish I could blame it on some new fangled stuff, but there was no CDS on that rifle. It was sighted in at 2.25" high at 100 yards, which means that the load should have been +/- 1" of zero at 264 yards at sea level.

I was smacking the 16" gong at 450 yards, every shot, prior to my leaving for this trip. When I shot, it was the equivalent of a bench rest, given the big rock I was using and having the seam of my Crew Cab to settle the rifle into.

I am afraid that what it boils down to is this - Somehow, someway, I messed up.

Point of impact 2" higher, and I think I hit higher in the leg and penetrate more than just the brisket or lower chest area. 2" higher and the bullet enters into the vitals.

Now that we are back to civilization, I will ask to see the shot footage and get a better feel of where the bullet struck. All indicators are above the front knee and into the brisket, but not high enough to be in the chest vitals. When we look at it, I will let you know.

I do know this. My appreciation for what a big boar bear can withstand is much greater today than it was four days ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back