MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Alaska Black Bear - Part II

Great story, sorry about the ending, but I wouldn't beat yourself up too bad. It sounds to me like this bear will survive . You need to also. Pull up your boots, get back in the saddle and get you one in Montana.

What an adventure! Thanks for taking the time to share the hunt with us in such detail Randy. Keep your chin up; you have conducted yourself with class and as a true sportsman. SIgn me up for next year! :)

You have a true gift of story telling. Sometimes things just don't work out how we planned. That's hunting and that's life. You have the right attitude. Thanks for taking us along and keep up the great work.

Great write up, I felt like I was there. I'm also glad that you are going to include everything on the episode. I'd be willing to bet most other shows leave the not so pretty stuff on the editing room floor, but that is not real hunting, this is. I also think you need to make Joe wear a lifejacket at all times. Thanks again Randy.

I can't say anything needed that hasn't already be said. Good on OYOA for showing the down side to a trip. I think the genuine dipiction that you provide, even including the loss of an animal, is still the best way to promote hunting on TV.

Fin,
It happens. Doesn't make it any easier but the reality is that there are hunters that have lost a game animal and hunters that will!
That sour taste will diminish, it make take a while, but it'll go away.
WD

Thank you for no smoke and mirrors. Congratulations to Joe. And I feel for you Randy. If anyone hunts for any length of time this is bound to happen. When my oldest missed her first Turkey and the tears started rolling I told her anybody who says they haven't missed or not missed clean either doesn't hunt much or is just blowing smoke. Your record of 34 years is amazing in itself. Thanks for taking us along.

Incredible story and although I don't know you, I feel like I do. Thanks for your openness and incredible ethics albeit in difficult circumstances.

Keep your head up...this is a learning experience and something many others can learn from and relate too.

Congrats to Joe!

For what it's worth, I'm sorry you lost your bear. It happens. 10' off the beach, its dark, soft, brushy, windfall, deadfall, devils club everywhere, etc.

Also.. If I may make a suggestion. If you are going to be on shore for a period- try out a anchor/bouy/pulley system. It will allow the boat to float through the whole tide cycle, bow into the wind, no fear of beaching; no matter how long you are gone. And no one need stay behind to guard the boat. It's fairly simple after the first time you do it and fast, and saves some on the worry factor.

This is a fairly good description:
http://www.neilmoomey.com/howtos/anchor_buoy/

I do it a little differently, using all carabiners and polyline, with a couple figure 8/bight, and bowline knots.
I did like the pictures of the boat on the beach though! :D First time I did that, I thought my old man was going to kill me.

icb12-

Looks like a good system.

Here is ours from the 2009 hunt.

DSCF7448.jpg

Congrats on your great adventure! Maybe one day I will get to make a trip like that. Try not to let the loss of the bear worry you too much. I know that is easier said than done. I still worry about a deer I lost last fall. I try to view everything that happens as a learning experience. I hope that helps a little.

Congratulations to Joe and yes, you too Fin. I concur with NVLongbow. There is a reason that we all gravitate toward your writings and your message. Telling like it is sometimes has its downside. However, that is what makes OYOA what it is.

I look forward to watching this very special episode.

Last year, a lot of questions were what worked, what didn't work, and what would I do differently. Here are some thoughts on that.

First, the buoy and pulley system that ICB12 mentioned would be high on my list. My uncle, Jim, who gave me the boat ride to the cabin recommended the same thing. Unfortunately, we did not have the materials to make such a device. If so, it would have solved many problems, at least where we were not in super shallow water. Would advise that system to anyone.

The big plus this year was the bigger skiff. When you stay at a cabin like we did, a big boat that lets you travel longer distances is a great plus. This was a 18' with a 90hp Honda. It was great for getting around, but if you got caught on the beach, you weren't moving it. Will never go again with a small skiff, unless I am staying right near where the bears are, or staying in a bigger boat that can anchor where the bears are.

As far as equipment, here are some things I did not have with me last year, that got a test drive this year.

Food is the key to staying energized, and warm food is even better. When the confines of weight restrictions of a plane come into play, there is no substitute for a great pocket stove. This EtaSolo stove by Primus is the best piece of camping gear I have found in a year.

IMG_0491.JPG

Here is a link to that stove. Primus EtaSolo

Worth the investment, even for an all-around handy camp stove, regardless of weight and size restrictions you are under. It holds one liter of water and will boil it in less than two minutes. The entire unit fits into the pot and takes up hardly any space. Very slick and very handy.

Also had the Primus OmniFuel stove with us, and that works great also, especially with bigger pots. And, it burns on a variety of different fuel types. Will be using these a lot over the next season.

Howa rifles - This was the first trip with these rifles. They worked great on the bench, and did equally well when I took them to the field. Joe smoked his with the .308. I had a .300 Win and it performed way better than I did. They got sprayed with salt spray every day, were rained on heavily. They are no worse for wear.

The Hogue stalk has a real rubber feel to it. When it is cold, wet, and miserable, that stock is hard to beat. Retains a great feel and grip to it.

I plan on getting more of these and shooting all different calibers. The guys running this company are some great guys and want to give us a rifle to provide as a drawing for our website members. I suspect we would have no problem giving one of these away to you guys.

They assured me if I shot them for a month I would be impressed. I have done that, and yes, I am impressed. Not sure where you will find a rifle at that price, that shoots that well.

We are close to a deal to make Howa the rifle of OYOA. I hope that comes together. They represent the best value I have found in rifles. I think our guys would get great use from these rifles.

Otis Hardcore Hunter cleaning kit was invaluable in that weather. And, if someone decides to jump in the ocean, you want to get the rifle cleaned ASAP. These kits are very small, very light, and provide everything you need for that evening cleanup. Fast and thorough.

Sitka Stormfront Light Jacket - I had my doubts how well a packable rain gear system would hold up to the downpours and the thick nasty brush of SE Alaska. Well, I can report it held up to all the abuse of crawling on our hands and knees for hours, looking for that bear. And, it poured like crazy for the first three days, and we did not get even slightly wet. Well, Joe got wet, but when you jump in the drink, that will happen. Very impressed with the weight to performance ratio of this rain gear.

Simms G4 Pro Stockingfoot Waders and wading boots. We beat the hell out of these. Wore them all day, every day. Over rocks, through the trees, over the barnacles and other nasty stuff on the rocks. Not one leak. Very lightweight and amazingly warm while wearing one pair of base layer underneath.

Used the Hunter Specialties Carlton Bear Call. Yup, it works. Plan on getting some more practice with it hear in Montana this spring. Makes a variety of sounds from a rabbit to a fawn. A little spooked about the idea of using it where there are grizz. Don't need to call in one of those.

So, what didn't work and what would I do differently. Given I had a chance to test run a lot of the gear on this hunt last year, I didn't expect too much equipment problem.

First thing that didn't work well was me. I messed up a great opportunity. The scope, the rifle, the ammo, all did their job. I didn't. But, enough of that.

Food is key. Some of the Mountain House food was good and some was terrible. The worst was the spaghetti and meat balls, and the macaroni and cheese. I would stay away from those two. I don't think skunks would eat it. Am I the only person who feels bloated from fluid retention after eating these dehydrated meals?

What I would do differently is exactly what I said I planned to do after last year - go later in the season. I wanted to go later this year, but with schedules and other commitments, it just wasn't going to happen. Some day, I will be there the last week of May or the first week of June. Just seems like it would get better every day as the weather improves and the it gets closer to mating season.

I would find a better solution for caring for the meat. In a remote cabin, that is a pain. We were fortunate that it was having highs in the 40's, so the meat was not going to spoil. Luckily, some guys had built a lean to with a cover, which protected the meat from the rain. Without that, the meat issue would be a big pain.

Tactic-wise, I would locate bears on the beach and if the wind was wrong, I would set up in a location where I could call them in. I think if you locate a bear, you could call in almost everyone of them. That makes for some close shooting, but a ton of excitement.

I will be back. I am not sure if it will fit next spring, with all the other commitments already on the schedule for that year, but I will be there every year thereafter, so long as I can draw a tag once they go to limited entry for self-guided NRs. The location, the size of the bears, and the remoteness are all you could ask for.

My dad guided bear hunters when I was growing up. He set out bait stations. I grew to hate bear hunting, mostly due to the stench of his concoctions, the work of putting it out in the woods, and the fact that he kept most the meat and we ate way too much of it.

But, I will admit I am officially stricken with some sort of bear affliction. I will be bear hunting in Montana every evening until I fill my tag. I will continue to apply for limited tags in Idaho and hope to someday hunt them in the Southwest states of AZ and NM.

Hard to explain the transition. I guess I viewed them as not much more than dump animals, but after spending a couple seasons chasing them on their turf and observing their behaviors, my attitude has changed. Can't wait until I get to do it again.

Hope you all get a chance to experience black bear hunting, especially on the islands of Southeast Alaska.

IMG_0435.JPG

I'm getting closer and closer to talking myself into giving bears a try. I guess I'll have to wait until next year since I'm leaving town the end of the week.

Congrats you guys. What an awesome time. Shake off the miss - you did the best you could and while it's not fun to be in that position, it does happen. Thanks for the story and pics!!!

Great write up and I'm sure the episodes will be top-shelf. Bummer on the recovery, been there. Bears are tough though.

Randy, Thanks for taking us along on another excellent adventure, and sharing with us the joy of the chase, and the heartache when things go right. I really appreciate the honesty, and showing us the vulnerability we all have when loosing an animal. On another note, thanks for the gear reviews, they're extremely helpful for those of us looking to upgrade from stuff that may be nearing the end of it's useful life, or...maybe we just want something else. I've noticed a new HOWA banner at the top of the page, if they've signed on as a full sponsor, thank you so much, those rifles are a wonderful product, at an affordable price.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back