airline question

Dude - this is what makes this forum so awesome, los of knowledge and people willing to share to benefit other hunters! Thanks for shedding some light on a pretty complicated topic.

Michael

Happy to share, I may need my own q's answered in the future.

I was thinking about the fuel issue some more today, and I don't think I've ever seen Rinella use anything but coals or liquid fuel when he has been cooking in AK.

I know REI rents equipment if you're a member and there is at least one hiking club in MN that also has loaner equipment. I'd loan you mine, but I only have a midsize fuel bottle and I my pump housing is held together with superglue ever since an over excited pumping incident.

Good luck hunting.

BSD, that doesn' t include coleman fuel canister to does it??I think this makes me have to bring my bigger coleman stove.Good thing I don't have any weight limit problems for my bush flight.I will check with UPS and FedX, but think I know their answer now that you posted that imfo
Thanks

I'm not sure about Coleman fuel, but it is also likely a no go. Are you talking about the little propane bottles? The real issue is these fuels are in pressurized containers and if they rupture they will spray vaporized fuel into a confined space and any spark will ignite the air. I know it is unlikely but, fire on a plane is very bad. I still think your simplest solution would be to beg, borrow, or steal a liquid fuel stove and get the gas at the end of the road.

The issue is FUEL regardless of how it's contained. Just read the airlines website on prohibited items. Anything that can ignite or create a spark is prohibited.
On a recent trip I found that someone in TSA had wrapped up my magnesium bar with duct tape.....a little paranoid I think. Also, if you read AK airlines web page they have MRE's on the list of prohibited items because they contain chemical heaters.

The issue is FUEL regardless of how it's contained. Just read the airlines website on prohibited items. Anything that can ignite or create a spark is prohibited.
On a recent trip I found that someone in TSA had wrapped up my magnesium bar with duct tape.....a little paranoid I think. Also, if you read AK airlines web page they have MRE's on the list of prohibited items because they contain chemical heaters.

Absolutely correct for passenger aircraft. However, cargo aircraft have different rules and some items banned for passenger aircraft may be carried onboard cargo only flights. Hence the discussion about whether it can be shipped or not. Also, due to the nature of the transportation infrastructure in AK. AK has its own special rules for aviation, things that may not be permitted in the lower 48 may be perfectly acceptable in the 49th state.

Wyodeerhunter and i take jet boil fuel with us all the time when we fly. TSA is lazy put it in the middle of your bag and they won't unpack it, works every time. As for bear spray you don't need it. if you really really that worried about it you can get something like the wipserlight stoves and take white gas or have your pilot fill you up with av gas when you get there. Filtering your water is a must, I'm sure the lake will be fine to filter out of

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back