Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Advice....

What Caliber? (Blacktail Deer, Wild Pig, Elk, and Moose)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hunter93906

I'm looking to get a new rifle... I currenly have a Remington 721 chambered in 30-06. Ive decided on a Remington 700 SPS but I'm debating on what caliber to get :confused: I mainly hunt pig and Blacktail deer in California however I have a Elk hunt coming up in 2011 and a Moose in AK in 2012... any advice?:eek:

I've used the 7mm Rem Mag for pronghorns and mule deer for the past ten years. It's a great, flat shooting gun capable of bringing down everything you listed. It may be on the low end for moose, but it can reach out to 400+ for elk, deer and pigs.

Lots of people hunt Blacktails with a .300.
My two best hunting buddy's both use a .300 short mag, and they kill boatloads of Blacktails.

I think your best bet would be two rifles, but if you want to do everything with one gun, a .300 or 7mm Mag is a good all around caliber.

Make sure you don't mind that much recoil before you commit to that much gun. A lot of people can shoot a .270 all day long, but become recoil shy once they get up to a .300 mag class gun.

You need a gun for the most extreme requirement. In this case it appears to be moose and elk. You have more cushion with a big caliber for big animals. 300 Mag goes directly to the top of the list.

.300 Mag was my only rifle for years, and took a lot of blacktails, blacktail/muley crosses and hogs. I think it is better than a .30-06, though I used one of those for a long time, too. Either one will take all the game you listed, with the .300 having more range and punch. For that matter, any of the cartridges you listed will work - but the .300 will work best.

My .300 Mag has taken elk, deer (mulies & whitetails), shiras moose, and antelope. I love it. I will be taking it to Alaska in 3 weeks for sheep and moose. I can't say enough good things about the .300 but that's just my opinion.

Never killed a pig, but the rest of those animals died fast using the little .308 in my hands. I now have a .280 Rem. Load up with hot loads for most of my hunts.

I suggest a 338 WIn Mag, especially if you keep your 30-06, which I wuold also suggest. Reason being that the two have very similar trajectories with certain bullets. The 165gr in the 30-06 and the 225gr in the 338 for example. Even though I generally just hunt with one rifle, having a back up is never a bad idea in case your primary goes down during the season.

30-06 180 gr nosler partitions... My general all around "Thunder Stick". ;)

6.5x284 with 140 grain amaxs and for Moose, Norma Vulcan, Oryx or Alaska projectiles, cripes I've shot Red and Sambar with 6.5 projectiles they just die:D

Minus the elk and moose I would suggest the .270, I've killed whitetail and hogs out to 545 yds. Once you throw in the larger animals I would go with the .300 or 7mm magnums. Good luck !

7 Mag.. with Copper ..I just got some in 110. grn...Man they fly.. great for lope, coues, pig... etc... load up 180's for bear/elk/ mulie..... 30-06 is still a great deer round.. I.M.O.

Have had a 30-06 in the 760 Gamemaster since the early 70's, harvested WT, MD, and ELK, bought a TC muzzleloader about 6 years ago and next came a 300 win mag barrel, have fell in love with this set up, you have several bullet weights to consider for what every game your after, it will go north with me next month. But day in and day out, here in Kansas my 30-06 is hard to leave at home!

I hunt all of them with myu 308 i do lots of reloading and shooting and though not the flatest shooting on the list it is one of the most enjoyable to shoot it will kill a moose just as dead as a 300 mag with lots less recoil and that means you will probably shoot it more and be more comfortable with it. The other caliber I would consider for power and recoil would be a 300 wsm short action less recoil then the mag flatter shooting and more down range energy look at the ballistics once and see for your self

All of the guns listed will kill a moose or an elk. Hell, I know people that kill elk with a 22-250. Should that be happening? Probably not. If you're gonna be shooting over 200 or 300 yards, you need that extra down range energy. I voted 300 mag. Great caliber with lots of bullet options. I shoot a 300 WSM and I've pounded/dropped deer and bear out to 400 yards. I shoot a 180 accubond at about 3060 fps. I shot a mulie at 410 yards last season in the shoulder. The buck dropped and the bullet just passed through both shoulders. Personaly, I like my animals to go down. Bullet selection will be the next biggest decision.

Back