Advice on first antelope hunt

HunterDan

I finally will have some time this year to make 2 trips out west and I plan to hunt antelope in Wyoming early October. I am currently sitting on 3 points. I cannot decide whether to use my 3 points or to save them and hunt a unit that takes 0 points and come back in a year or two when I can draw a better unit and have more experience. Being that this is my first time hunting antelope I would be happy shooting an average sized buck and possibly a doe. I would like to have enough public land to hunt and not have to constantly worry about other hunters the whole time. If I can satisfy these by hunting a 0 point unit then I think that is the way I would like to go. However if the experience would be that much better I don't mind using my points regular or special draw. I may only have 3 full days to hunt this year fyi. Please give me your thoughts.

I would wait to burn your points until you have more time to dedicate to the hunt. A doe in three days is fine, but you'll want to take your time looking over bucks when you burn points.

To have a shot at a unit kinda like you’re describing as a second choice you’re going to have to go special. Also, the odds on those types of units have been getting worse and worse over the last few years. Based on the results of the poll I put up, you’re odds will likely be worse than they were last year - likely under 50% for those units as a second choice. Also, most of these units open 10/1 or 10/15 and I’d want to be there 9/29 or 10/13 scouting. They will be crowded unless you hunt later in the season and mid week. The couple times I’ve hunted these units I’ve always worried about other hunters as there have been a lot - might just be me though.

Three points in the special will get you a nice unit and if you hunt hard, likely an opportunity at a really nice buck. Plus those units will have been open for a few weeks and pressure should be minimal. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to burn my points.

But with only three days to be out there and hunt/scout, you might want to wait on both options.

Last edited:
You can get to plenty of public with 3 points and all the criteria likely, you may consider the special draw to maximize your points; with zero points you’ll be looking for a trespass fee hunt if you require low hunting pressure with plenty of land to hunt. Good luck to you.

If you are happy with doe while building points, go for it, but I'd recommend the last week of the season. In easy to draw units people are EVERYWHERE the first week. Pronghorn can be found, but it takes lots of walking and they are spotty to find on public land with the pressure. Come back two weeks later and they are settling down and easier to find and stalk

Yup, burn the points and hunt somewhere nice for your first hunt. Antelope don't require a lot of species specific skill building before your first hunt.
I don’t know about that. For effective flagging, it takes some practice to get the right sized piece or t-shirt, which varies by wind velocity, properly attached to your trekking pole.

3 days in a good unit should be plenty. 3 points in special draw will get you a unit with enough antelope and public land that NOT having a goat sighting in 5 minutes will be more surprising than spotting one.

You don't have to be picky either. If you like the way one looks and he is in a stalkable position go for it. Multiple stalks are the rule. Killing a buck on the first day of your hunt is definitely a possibility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back